Australia's largest record collection up for sale, 80k in near mint

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kassonica, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant ‘blues’, as in the genre. Missed out the s.

zphage likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

A good friend of mine's father's collection went to the Marr Sound Archive at the University of Missouri, Kansas City where it was able to be kept together. A university will be able to do a far better job of making it available to the public than just selling it off piecemeal.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  3. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Yeah, but does he have Robert Johnson 78s?

REMASTERANTER and ebro like this.
  4. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Put that s*** up on the 'scogs and rake in that chedda.

mpayan, JasonA and James Bennett like this.
  5. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Holy Christ! those Rodeo 78's are pretty collectable alone down here.
    This is my holy grail! I would just love a look through the collection!
    Those Aussie pressings! some of those command big $$!! it's not only rarity,
    but they look like they're in exceptional condition.
    Having one of those 'need to clean up after myself' moments....
    :ignore:

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Hello All,

Do not doubt ANY of the positives you have heard about this collection!!!

In the 30 years i have attended record fairs anywhere within 100 klm of Brisbane Ken Perkins was a constant fixture.
    We had a mutual close friend and through him Ken would sometimes come to my house the night before fairs.
    Probably 15 odd years ago i was once invited to visit Ken at his home.
    It was not a big place but i was stunned by all the 7" singles lined up from the floor to head height in all the rooms i got to see.
    I knew he was absolutely meticulous about titles, pressings and conditions and over the years i threw some questions at him, and if they were about certain labels he knew all the tough answers.
    From what i know he had countless quality vinyl contacts and i am very happy to say that i can once recall having an item he wanted to buy. A boot orange label 7" of Bill Haley that was actually listed with a value in the giant US Goldmine publication.
    (Oh he may have grabbed a Chiffon's lp from me on the Laurie label once also?)
    He loved many genre's but what i know of him that i could tell you for a fact was that he was fully into Rockabilly & early rock "n" roll records. It is quite possibly fair to say that he was interested in virtually all genre's from the first 75 years of the 20th century. At times early on i may have pulled out a record at a fair or mentioned it to him and as i was young and realtively inexperienced Ken would politely say "too late" meaning the pressing for his liking to collect. I am a bit sorry i did not attend his service ( I heard late and it was hard to rearrange work and kids) as everyone was most welcome.
    Our mutual friend told me it was a fantastic day with lots of his favoured early rock "n" roll getting a cheery reception, Little Richard amongst others and attendees came from interstate as a great mark of respect including some of this countries major record store owners.
    I must say Ken was an extremely likeable and friendly man, he was soft spoken and i never heard him show of his vast gargantuan knowledge to anyone that did not seek it.
    I loved reading what his daughter said about finding notes of instruction inside the most valuable lps! Though my collection is very tiny compared to Ken's it would be a lovely gesture to perform for my own children before my passing.
    God Bless you all and thank you for reading.
    Sincerely Michael.

8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That is a really nice story. Thank you for sharing it.

All Down The Line likes this.
  9. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Any of The Bee Gees first three Australian albums?

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

[​IMG]

11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I'm pretty sure this is the same guy who was trying to put the collection on the market a few years ago, the problem being that it was to be an all-or-nothing sale.

Selling it - if that's the route they choose to go down - would not be a simple matter. They are all going to have to be examined for quality and priced accordingly.
    The idea of it going to a museum somewhere has merit. Either way, it now belongs to the family to do with as they see fit, and people saying "it shouldn't be split up and sold to anonymous buyers" should perhaps put their money where their mouth is before they get all holier than thou about what someone else should be doing with their own property.

12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

It would be interesting to know (a) how many of those records have actually been listened to, and (b) how many ever will be heard.

Of course I realise that being a collector really has very little to do with music listening.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So you had a story like this in Australia as well? There was a similar story of a guy in the US with hundreds of thousands of albums who was looking for--I think--$3M. In his case, it seemed the collection was a typical mish-mosh of a lot of so-so stuff with a modest number of gems, and wasn't worth his asking price to anyone.

14. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

A collection that large could bring in as much as $800 over at the FYE. There would be quite a bit of waiting while the employee pulled out each record to check for scratches (and deposit some fingerprints).

15. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Sorry I don't understand your post , what is FYE ?

16. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

It’s a music store chain, also known as For Your Entertainment. However most of them are closing down....

17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Is it normal over there for music store chains to BUY records offered for sale by walk-in customers?

ebro likes this.
  18. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

According to the article, he didn't leave any instructions for what to do with his collection. That's quite a burden to leave to his heirs even though they might make a lot of money. It's not something like a classic car collection where there's a known market for most cars and there's places to sell them at or auction them off at due to its large size. Good luck to them.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I hope some well-heeled Australian music lover buys the whole collection and donates it to a university library with the provision that it not be broken up. A collection like this is far more than it's component parts, it's the result of a lifetime of knowledge and effort, and breaking it apart destroys that. It's a history of music in physical form.

All Down The Line and bob_32_116 like this.
  20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Paging Dick Smith... paging Andrew Forrest...

I doubt Gina would be interested.

Mitchy likes this.
  21. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I also agree with this. If it could be saved as a historical document that would be great. I don’t know if it’s possible. It would be really nice if the public could access those records on site in a library setting, but of course then you will guarantee they won’t stay in such nice condition.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. All Down The Line

Sure if they are desired but not like this.

23. All Down The Line

Very different story, i knew the guy the collection and condition is extraordinary!

24. All Down The Line

You are 100 percent incorrect, no attempt to put on the market, Ken had no interest to do that.

25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

OK. In that case there was another collector, also with a pretty massive collection. I don't know whether he eventually found someone to take the entire lot off his hands or whether he was forced to divide it up. Unlike your friend, I think this guy had no qualms about off-loading it, he just wanted to do so with as little work as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.