Avalon speaker problem?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hanleyp, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanleyp

hanleyp Forum Resident Thread Starter

Avalon Ascendant

My Avalon Ascendent speakers have been in storage for about 5 months; they have been covered and protected during the entire time that they have been stored. During storage they were exposed to typical a Seattle summer temperature swing, which means nothing to extreme. When I moved the speakers the other day I noticed that some black tar like substance was on the plywood directly below the ports, they have 2 ports on the bottom of each speaker. When I put the speakers on their side and looked in the ports with a flashlight the white insulation has a black spot on it so the black stuff defiantly came from inside the speakers.

1. Does anyone know what this could be, is some sort epoxy used during assembly or is this leakage from a capacitor in the crossover?

2. Do I need to have some look at the speakers before I hook them up?

3. Is there a repair shop in the Seattle area that you can recommend for the repair work?

4. Has anyone else ever experience anything similar?

Thank you for your help.

2. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

3. Bino

Bino New Member

Hello,
    I have the same experience. Today morning I wrote an e-mail to the Avalon producer. Can you hear any sound performance losses after that problems ? because I can. I can send you some pictures of the defects. e-mail: [email protected]

4. Bino

Bino New Member

I wrote 3x e-mails to producer but no response yet. Can you give me an advice what to do next? thanks

5. Zeilmaker

Zeilmaker New Member

Last week I discovered the exact same problem with one of my Ascendents. Tar type substance, roughly 2 by 2 cm in size had dropped down for it. I removed it, and next morning another drop. Contacted the local importer for it (Netherlands). Interested to hear what you find out - Will keep you posted..

6. Zeilmaker

Zeilmaker New Member

Got a very prompt response back from the Dutch importer - appears to be a known problem for these speakers from a certain period: it is the material behind the woofers, these rings are made of a certain material that seems to degenerate after a certain period.... They will send me a couple of spare rings, realively easy to install yourself. Good luck with it!!

7. Bino

Bino New Member

Thanks, I am happy that you can solve the issue. However, I have not received any response yet and I don not know why . I will try to write the same info to the local importer as you did.

8. Bino

Bino New Member

Bingoo, I have sent my request to local distributor and now I am waiting for a couple of spare rings. Thanks for advice !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.