Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening" Thread Starter

I found 4 at Forced Exposure and only 2 at Squidco, both duplicates. I guess direct is the ticket.

2. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

johnnypaddock and 926am like this.
  3. AxiomAcoustics

James Plotkin and Paal Nilssen-Love. Rune Grammophone.

[​IMG]

4. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

I am not sure if she has been mentioned here yet or not (cannot read the whole thread now but will be sure to go back read the whole thing) is Grouper (aka Liz Harris). If anyone would fit in this category, I guess it would be her. If you have never heard Grouper, then think Ambient Mellow Noise meets Singer\Songwriter. Very effect laden at times, vocals generally mixed in the background.

Anyway I have been listening to her new album "Ruins" a lot which is mostly her and a piano. Here is the song "Call Across Rooms":

EL34 and jay.dee like this.
  5. AxiomAcoustics

So I'm walking toward one of my local record shops yesterday while listening to John Zorn's Kristallnacht when the ambient noise starts to increase and meld with what was happening in my head _ phones. The shop has outdoor speakers. I kill my tunes as I walk in to the shop while this glorious noise reveals itself and fills the shop with flesh and psychic smoke. What IS this heavy purge of emotion and sound I ask. Some promo from Secretly Canadian is the answer. Here's to record stores.......

[​IMG]

Mr. H likes this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

7. jiffypopinski

^^^There is never a wrong time to listen to SunnO)))

Here's one I haven't spun in a while:

dälek - Untitled

[​IMG]

An awesome 43 minute soundscape by my favorite hip-hop group.

Mr. H and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  8. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Jandek - Chair Beside a Window

[​IMG]

9. AxiomAcoustics

Another die-a-lek fan!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That Sunn was just crawling out of my speakers last night.

jiffypopinski and Mr. H like this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    ruben lopez, Crazyhorse11 and Mr. H like this.
  11. found this, when I went looking for RERUSA:

Although our label, Ad Hoc Records is still running, we are indeed sad to mention that ReR USA Distribution, after more than eleven years of dedicated service, is closing shop. Our business model for distributing Chris Cutler’s ReR catalog, and the other labels we stocked, no matter how radically downsized, was simply not able to survive amidst the general public’s inclinations to illegally download music for free (from YouTube or personal blogs) or legally, for fractions of pennies (from streaming services, like Spotify).

After two years of steadily and rapidly declining sales of both compact discs and legal-entity downloads, we found ourselves in a position where we could neither afford to outright buy multiple copies of new releases, or to do any sort of advertising. So, the writing was on the wall. I had, as the President, the right to declare bankruptcy on behalf of ReR USA, forfeiting any and all debts that the company owed to its creditors. Instead, I've accepted the position to pay off the company's debts, and eventually close shop completely, with a clean slate.

Thanks to all of our customers, some of whom were with us since day 1. It was a pleasure to serve you.

I offer a caveat now, without anger or frustration, but from experience, to those who feel no compunction when d/l'ing illegally, or feel that streaming everything for next to nothing is good: You are sadly aiding and abetting an industry whose technology has become unhinged and disproportionate to what is needed for its own, healthy survival. And you are the ones who will suffer for this practice in the long run, as musicians with integrity will soon be no longer able to make the creative wares which you crave, but do not wish to pay much (if anything) for.

Peace.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/9375-ReR-USA

DMortensen and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  12. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

bummer

13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

[​IMG]

14. AxiomAcoustics

Yes, big bummer. But, an honorable exit as well.

15. AxiomAcoustics

16. jiffypopinski

"No sun No birds No stars No form"

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  17. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Haven't read the whole thread yet. Only up to this video so far so not sure it's been mentioned,
    but after listening to this, I could easily recommend King Crimson's "Lark's Tongue in Aspic".
    Always thought it was "avant-garde" anyway.

18. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Featuring the one and only Mongezi Feza,for those who don't know him yet check his trumpet solo (starts at 3:50)here:

19. AxiomAcoustics

Good call! And The Blue Notes as well.

93curr likes this.
  20. AxiomAcoustics

Definitely that whole period from Poseidon through Lark's with Keith Tippett and Harry Miller and especially Jamie Muir on percussion and "all-sorts". In fact, there's some crossover in personnel here and there with the post above with the South Africa/London circle of Brotherhood Of Breath and it's offshoots.

Here's a great album that features Evan Parker who played with the Brotherhood AND Jamie Muir who figures heavily on LTIA. Small world eh?

[​IMG]

93curr, Tristero and alankin1 like this.
  21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

yMusic - Balance Problems.

A new release on New Amsterdam records

[​IMG]

This video reminds me a lot of the first half of the movie Koyaanisqatsi

Brudy and Mr. H like this.
  22. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Evan Parker + AMM
    Cafe Oto, London 22nd October 2014

A fairly packed house saw one continuous set of 75 minutes with Parker on tenor, then soprano and then back to tenor; John Tilbury on piano, and Eddie Prevost on percussion. A fair amount of circular breathing, some wonderfully lyrical piano and a lot of bowed cymbal which seems to be Prevost's percussive instrument of choice these days - not that I'm complaining as it makes such a great accompaniment to Tilbury's playing.

93curr likes this.
  23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Probably Area's most audacious, avant studio release. I shied away from it a little at first, but have grown to love it as much as their debut and Crac!

[​IMG]

93curr and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  24. AxiomAcoustics

Wish I could have joined you, sounds fantastic. Yeah, Prevost has really taken to using bowed cymbals and "tam tam", sometimes to great effect, sometimes not so much. Certain sustained pitches/frequencies can get a bit much at times. Last time I saw AMM was with Rowe, sat probably 2 feet from his "table". Interesting that the tenor came out so much, which I love, to me the Coltrane really shows. Filling more lower register space maybe due to instrumentation?

25. AxiomAcoustics

You familiar with Tsunoda? Interesting "field recording" aesthetic:

http://youtu.be/m4o8O_OwBhA

Not sure why this viddy is not showing. Just the URL.

Mr. H likes this.