Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

There are a lot of great artists/composers that sit between classical and ambient. One of my favorites right now is the Icelandic cellist Hildur Guddnadottir.

2. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

And one of my favorite records from 2012 was Snow Palms, "Intervals". Not much on youtube other than this snippet, but it's amazing and worth checking out.

Klassik and jay.dee like this.
  3. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening" Thread Starter

Very cool, a song forever of sorts. I assume it is not available on any other media? It would be interesting to leave it on for a few days to see what happens but we all have structured schedules so I'd imagine you would hear the same things each day?

4. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

John Coltrane-Om

5. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

Well, just so happens Ive been home sick for the last few days and just let it play. There's a very cool tribal drums thing with chanting that's been going on for a few hours now. As far as availability on other media, it is not available as download (as far as I can find). Imagine the vinyl box set!

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  6. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

IMG_2710.jpg
    Another beauty from the Black Saint label.

7. JazzLife

JazzLife Well-Known Member

We might have our wires crossed here. The box I am talking about, and the one "Close-Up" is in, is this one:

[​IMG]

http://www.fmp-label.de/freemusicproduction/labelscatalog/xfmpse2010_en.html

I recall now that the box CDs are mostly uniform sand/brown color, but when the discs were released individually they were given new graphics (like the one you showed).

I think you were thinking about the "Die Like a Dog" box.

[​IMG]

AFAIK, there is no need for the "Die Like a Dog" box if you have the individual discs.

8. Ilovefooty

IMG_3734.jpg
    Spacecraft - Spacecraft. Private pressing 1978, Wah Wah Records reissue 2012.

Natural E, klockwerk, phil1db and 2 others like this.
  9. AxiomAcoustics

DOH! Yep, I was referring to the DLID box. I know I should have gotten the Retrospective but told myself I had some of the material. DOH again, since I kick myself weekly for not getting the Cecil Taylor 88 box. I have all the individuals except "0".

10. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

What is that? It's the first post in this thread for which I'm not familiar with the artist.

These are some great posts, by the way. I haven't contributed yet since most of my listening over the last few days has been at work, and I tend to favor lighter stuff in that setting. Although I did listen to Roger Doyle's Oizzo No today, which seems like it would count - quirky and slightly mystical 70's piano compositions and concrete music.

Ilovefooty and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  11. JazzLife

I have all but 1, maybe 2, of the Cecil, but a friend of mine who has the Cecil box told me the book that comes with it is pretty fantastic (and he is a total Cecil devotee). That's one reason why I got the FMP box, although it is not quite the equal of the Cecil box.

12. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

Fans of "new" music who live in the Washington, DC area should know about the Sonic Circuits live performance series (if you don't already). The next show is tomorrow night (Sat. Jan 25) in Silver Spring, MD. Support live music!

http://dc-soniccircuits.org/

13. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I have this record, via the new age revival crowd.

it's french private label spacey synth-and-guitar work. the album is called paradoxe (not self-titled), and it's the only release by the band. spalax put out their customary no-noised needledrop on CD in the 90s, but I think that wah wah reissue is from the original tape. it's not a very hi-fi recording to begin with, though.

half of the record is interlocking sequencers with guitar solos over top, so it sounds vaguely like ashra, but a lot rougher. the musicians aren't as skilled and there's more dissonance than Göttsching ever went in for. the other half is meandering, textural ambience touching on new age. I probably prefer the latter tunes, especially this one for its metallic, feedbacky sheen:

spacecraft, 'pays de glace' (from paradoxe, 1978)
    Ilovefooty is right that it was released in 1978, not 1977 like the video says.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  14. JazzLife

[​IMG]

TIEGEL - Christoph Gallio (SS), Urs Voerkdel (p, d), Peter K. Frey (b, tb). Atavistic CD. 1981. Knew nothing about this CD or these artists when I plucked the CD out of the bargain bin of my local record store. But the faintly FMP look, and the fact it was on Atavistic, prompted me to pick it up. Good decision. This is some serious butt-kicking free jazz/improv. 13 improvs/45 min. According to Atavistic, Gallio went to study with Steve Lacy at the end of the 1980s (after this disc) focusing on song cycles with Irene Aebi. But this CD shows little that is Lacy-like, and does sound like something coming out of the FMP shop.

15. AxiomAcoustics

OK, so do you have 2 T's For A Lovely T? I missed the first go-round but see it is reissued but likely less complete.

16. AxiomAcoustics

You finally stumped me on this one:righton:

17. Ilovefooty

Nice one. Thanks.

18. JazzLife

I do have Two T's for a Lovely T. 10 discs in 5 cases, in a box. From Codanza. Has it been reissued? Had no idea. Do you have a link to the reissue?

19. AxiomAcoustics

20. JazzLife

No, that's about the going price. I think I paid $85 actually. For a while, it was completely unavailable, then I think Codanza started up again and they are now available again. But you never know how long that will last.

21. Ilovefooty

22. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

the "avant garde music" form Steven Wilson

this youtube gathers the 3 "drugged" tracks that you usually find on separate cds ...
    this is AWESOME

if i were Steven, i'd put these 3 tracks together

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  23. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

me too

24. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

listening to Hamel Organum ....
    omg .... i will buy it .
    cd or Vinyl ?

25. abor1g