Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Thanks for this! Yeah, I definitely need some more Amado after hearing This Is Our Language. These all sound great! Okay, so because of this post I have The Freedom Principle, Searching For Adam, and The Flame Alphabet on the way. Thanks again! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

johnnypaddock likes this.
  2. jiffypopinski

Supersilent - 10

[​IMG]

medium Rob, patient_ot and Marzz like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

4. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I love this record. it's always an interesting ride when makers of consonant music jump into the noise pool.

jiffypopinski likes this.
  5. jiffypopinski

Yeah, it's a wild recording! Probably the closest an American jazz guitarist ever got to Takayanagi.

6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I just ordered both. Great stuff.

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That's the first thing I've heard by Metheny that I like. I do like a few albums where he's a side man but I've heard nothing with him as a leader that I like. At least before this.

8. BaDaBen

BaDaBen Well-Known Member

I'm going. What you looking forward to seeing? I'm excited about the Gavin Bryars performances, Alvin Lucier, Matthew Shipp, and Claudia Jensen.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  9. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

[​IMG]

HOLOGRAM OF sea
    by VAVABOND

HOLOGRAM OF sea, by VAVABOND

From bandcamp:

I find this to be a compelling listen.

jay.dee likes this.
  10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Ah, here I am, back in the most dangerous thread on the board. I just ordered some new headphones, so need no encouragement to buy more music. :D

But wait - just today a new CD arrived, and it's a wow. Is it avant garde? No. It's the very opposite of avant garde, since the definition of the term is "new and experimental". On the other hand, where else would one put this?

I'm talking about this recording:

[​IMG]

You can see how this instrument is played here:

It's really good stuff, reminds me of the sound of a Koto. On speed.

BaDaBen, jay.dee and Worker like this.
  11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with the instrument but I'm sure that isn't traditional playing.

12. jiffypopinski

13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

jay.dee, Marzz, Vaughan and 1 other person like this.
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

That Trancepatterns looks/sounds good judging by the sample I found. Sadly though, the price of the disc is ridiculously high. :(

This has been played a lot here over the last couple days:

[​IMG]

It's another Sub Rosa release. The back says it's limited to 700 copies, but you can buy it cheaply - which depresses me a little, everyone should own one! :D

Sound wise this is music made for dance theater. Its roots are Musique Concrete - in fact the second track has Pierre Schaeffer written all over it; which to me is no bad thing. Very interesting, get it while you can for under £6 at the time I'm writing this (Amazon UK).

Mr. H likes this.
  15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Not sure where you're looking for trancepatterns, but I linked the bandcamp page at the bottom of the post. A CD is for sale for 12USD.

jay.dee and drasil like this.
  16. drasil

drasil Former Resident

where you can listen to the album online for free, as well.

it's also on spotify.

Mr. H likes this.
  17. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

johnnypaddock likes this.
  18. jiffypopinski

Terry Riley & Don Cherry - Terry Riley & Don Cherry Duo

[​IMG]

Marzz, 93curr, ruben lopez and 3 others like this.
  19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Derek BaileyMusic And Dance (Revenant)

[​IMG]

It's raining outside this morning. It seems like the right weather to play this Derek Bailey CD of live "duos" with dancer Min Tanaka. The first half consists of the work called "Rain Dance" which was recorded in an abandoned forge in Paris. As Bailey notes:

"The site of our performance ... was not, in itself, particularly special, but when we played, the environment, as so often with Min, performed a significant role; La Forge had a glass roof, there was a brief burst of torrential rain, the roof leaked = RAIN DANCE."​

20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I got an email from Aerophonic records the other day about Dave Rempis's tour. The DC date is next Friday and it listed a place that's pretty easy to get to but usually doesn't have jazz. They usually have LP listening parties and an occasional band. I looked on their web site and he's not listed as playing so I called them and they asked if he's in a Phish cover band since that's what they had playing that night. I replied to the email asking where it really was and they replied back with another venue which does list the show on their site. They haven't sent an update yet so who knows what turn out will be like.

I am looking forward to seeing him. It's an interesting sounding tour, one solo set and a set collaborating with local musicians. The venue isn't as convenient as the one in the email, but it is near a Metro stop so as long as the show is over by 11, I'll be able to get home.

21. jiffypopinski

22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It was a great show. The tour was made possible by a grant from the city of Chicago with most of the funds coming from the NEA. He explained that the idea for the tour was to get to play with musicians from all over the country who he had met on other tours but never got to play with, or in some cases not even hear. The local musicians he was playing with were all pretty young, drums, bass and alto. The highlight though was the four songs Rempis played solo.

The opening act was three local guys who I haven't seen before and they were good.

23. jiffypopinski

Vaughan, JMAC and Marzz like this.
  24. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Meredith Monk - On Behalf Of Nature (2016)

Considering she was 73 years young when she recorded she's still wonderful :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

drasil, jiffypopinski and Mr. H like this.
  25. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

jay.dee and johnnypaddock like this.