Avengers 2: The Age of Ultron (April 2015)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I was thinking right now, why didn't they develop a new hero during "phase 2" that could join the Avengers in their second movie? That would have made things a little more interesting, in my opinion.

I assume Ant Man will be joining them in the third film, but why wait that long to introduce a new member?

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I'm kind of surprised at this as well. I thought we would see a Hulk movie or a Hawkeye and Black Widow film. Though the Captain America film ended up being about what I thought a Hawkeye and Black Widow film would be. With Hawkeye's part essentially going to Cap.

I wonder if the Ant Man film was to be the new character film you speak of, but they just couldn't get their acts together on time for it to be part of Phase 2?

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Well, not sure whether they are heroes or villains (or both) but this film introduces both Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Based on the trailers they look like villains working for Ultron. I think their characters in the comics have traditionally been villains, too (although that goes back in forth in comic a lot).

Plus I meant specifically a new member of the Avengers team.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Damn near a rave review in Daily Variety today:

The most successful superhero movie of all time gets a super-sized sequel with surprising amounts of soul... heavy on catastrophic action but surprisingly light on its feet, and rich in the human-scale emotion that can cut even a raging Hulk down to size. ...stands a very good shot at surpassing the previous film’s $1.5 billion worldwide haul.

The movie’s visual-effects wizards (a whopping 19 companies are credited) have a grand old time with Ultron’s herky-jerky movements, but James Spader has an even grander one giving voice to the machine-man’s self-aggrandizing sentiments — a diabolical purr that sounds like HAL 9000 reborn as a Vegas lounge lizard. ...while Whedon still lacks the innately gifted image-making of his obvious role model, Steven Spielberg (or of his fanboy contemporary, J.J. Abrams), he keeps the movie’s heavy machinery in constant, fluid motion. If this is what the apotheosis of branded, big-studio entertainment has come to look like in 2015, we could be doing much worse. Unlike its title character, “Age of Ultron” most definitely has soul.

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/avengers-age-of-ultron-review-1201474856/

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

In the original Silver Age comics Quicksilver and his sister the Scarlet Witch were sort of involuntary villains pressed into service by Magneto as part of the Evil Mutants against the X-Men. Later they were freed from Magneto's command and became Avengers.

8. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Check out the end of trailer #3:

Vintage Avengers fans know who this is!

9. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I always thought they were Magneto's kids?

10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Wait, so Thanos isn't in the new one? I must've missed something.

11. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I'm assuming Thanos showdown will be in the 3rd one, Infinity Gauntlet

12. Lonson

I looked that up. Yes. Must have been revealed after I gave up reading comics (nearly four decades ago).

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Quicksilver (played by a different actor) also appeared in the last X-Men movie, and it was implied there that he is Magneto's son. Different comic book movie universe of course.

14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Which will actually be split into two movies (surprise, surprise) released a year apart.

15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Correct, and I get the impression from the trailers that they might be sort of reluctant in teaming up with Ultron as well.

16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I quit reading 30 years ago and even then it was suspected that they were Magneto's kids. According to articles I've read recently, that's been rectonned away and they are no longer Magneto's kids.

They were members of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants only in the very early issues of the X-Men. I think they were members of the Avengers by 1965.

17. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Since the MCU can't even mention Magneto in the films (or mutants even), it left them no choice but to re-write the origin of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

18. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I saw "Avengers 2: The Avengening" tonight.

A lot of characters, a lot of jokes, and a lot of set pieces. I think that I still prefer the first one, as there is a bit too much too much in this movie.

Can't say too much (hah!) more without spoilers.

--Geoff

lbangs likes this.
  19. Lonson

Right, but they weren't revealed as Magneto's children til some time later, when tales of the High Evolutionary were written. I think they were revealed as his children in Avengers 186. I'd stopped reading before then. (This is a 1979 issue).

[​IMG]

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Best part of that movie. Great sequences. "I'm just holding your head!"

Anyway off to see it this Sunday at Cinema City. Sat in the cinema with a pint of real ale to enjoy the movie. Might sneak a bag of wine gums or Minstrels in though.

Luxury.

Didn't actually know till today that part of the movie was filmed just a couple of miles from where I live. The Sainsbury's Art Centre was used as the Avengers training centre (?). Evans and Downey were there filming for a day or so.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news...engers_age_of_ultron_superhero_film_1_4045049

21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Are you a UEA guy?

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Iron Man is clearly not happy…can't blame him really.

dkmonroe likes this.
  23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

No... Bit old for that. :)

I'm city centre.

24. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

That interviewer just couldn't take the hint to change gears.

dkmonroe likes this.
  25. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I would much rather hear about where he sees the character going form here, how many more movies does he think he might do, does he wan to to another solo Iron Man, or is he more interested in ensemble pieces?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.