Avengers: Infinity War

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

i'll be going to see this next week...if it's still around...

2. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Better hurry. These small, low-budget independent films don't last very long in the theaters... :shake:

CDC and The Hud like this.
  3. vince

The Hud likes this.
  4. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

finally saw this last night. it was ok. pretty much the same old gotta save the universe from the genocidal meglamaniac. except this time they lose but you know that they will use the time stone in the next one and everybody will come back to life and beat Thanos. i like these movies to be more focused, less superheroes, shorter runtime and not having to save the universe everytime.

5. vince

Going today...
    now, there are TWO post-credit 'bits', right?

6. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I stayed through the credits. I LOT of people work on these movies. I could have driven home and looked at them (the bits) on youtube by the time they were done in the theater.

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

$2 Billion at the Box Office.

If they can squeeze out another $70 million worldwide they'll catch Star Wars - The Force Awakens.

David Campbell likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Is anybody here getting the notion that, Disney could open up a theater in every city, just to show Marvel films (and what the hell, show the teevee properties in the overnights), and make a killing for years to come? "New Blockbuster Every Friday; every film in choronological order noon Sundays; download the schedule onto an app, and get yourself caught up!"

9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

They're the new Mickey Mouse.

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Mickey Mouse has only inspired one movie theater to exclusively feature him: and it's on Main Street USA in Disney World.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Time to bow out of this thread.

12. vince

The writers meet Kev & Mark....

13. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Infinte trash as I like to call it ;^)

14. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Creeping my way up the ladder on some other Marvel movies before I watch IS. Saw Cap'n America's Infinity War last night (thread on that movie is closed and so I'm commenting here). Decent action flick. About the only thing that bothers me a bit in these continuum movies is when they alternate or modify characters' powers. For this one, Scarlet Witch's mind control powers were nonexistent. Ok, well that's cool and all but they were a central component of Avengers Ultron, and that inconsistency can be distracting. It was a bit easier to overlook Iron Man not using his chest beam (could've wiped out Bucky almost immediately), but the outcome for viewers was that Cap'n can straight up beat IM in a fight. Ok, then. Another comment is that the young Spider Man is way too Deadpool'd up with the constant chatter. If he's like that through his stand alone it might be tough to take.

And wasn't John Hurt used as the General in the Ang Lee Hulk movie? You know, the one that apparently didn't happen...Interesting that he reappeared in this one as another military/political heavy. How many other actors get recycled through these various Marvel movies?

Next up I'd like to watch Strange, BP & Ragnarok.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Nope! Apparently Sam Elliot was Thunderbolt Ross in the Ang Lee Hulk. The later Incredible Hulk movie is a loose part of the MCU but it still counts; Hurt was in that one for sure.

16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

As @BeatleJWOL stated, John Hurt plays General Ross in the 2nd (Ed Norton) Hulk film and he plays the same character in Captain America Civil War and Avengers Infinity War, he's just now been made secretary of something or other :winkgrin:.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Ahhh...and was Hurt the same character then in Civil War? EDIT: @jhm answered my question. Thanks guys! (at least the discontinuity of the Hulk is consistent - you really never know what you're going to get).

Also, that now makes a little more sense with him asking Rogers about the Hulk's whereabouts. Taking that as it is, Banner wouldn't have signed those accords.

BeatleJWOL and jhm like this.
  18. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Not John Hurt. William Hurt. John Hurt died in January 2017. William Hurt is famous for such films as Children of a Lesser God and Kiss of the Spider-Woman.

jhm likes this.
  19. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

August 14th

20. vince

I just thought of something:
    Is Tony AND Dr. Strange's cape on that planet ?
    I could see some good comedy coming out of those two.......

21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Funny, I just got around to seeing it last night. 3 months to the day after release. And there were a good number of people seeing it.

I've avoided it because I haven't watched many of the Marvel movies and figured I wouldn't know what was going on. To my surprise, I enjoyed it very much.

vince likes this.
  22. vince

I went with my mom...
    THEN, I had to give her the list of ALL the other Marvel movie she should 're-visit' to get what the heck was happening!
    She's like, "I never figured you as a 'comic-book guy'..", and I said, "Never was..I just like 'continuity'!....and, a little comedy, when I can get it."

mmars982 and eddiel like this.
  23. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

24. Are you referring to Captain America: Civil War?

She just didn't use those powers in the film because there was no reason for her to do so. As far as Iron Man using his chest beam, don't you think there would be some collateral damage which was what Stark was trying to control? Certainly Cap could take out Iron Man especially with Stark's uncontrolled rage as he fought Cap. When he analyzed Cap's fighting strategy and had the AI come up with counter moves, he did pretty well.

John Hurt wasn't in the movie. It's WILLIAM Hurt. John Hurt's the guy with the chest burst scene in Alien.

At the end of the day though these are just entertaining movies. It's not Citizen Kane or Rear Window (well maybe it is after all...in these times) although I will say that Civil War remains one of the best Marvel films they've done especially with the paranoid Three Days of the Condor vibe.

jhm and davenav like this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I just can't get into Civil War. The cliches were too overpowering and the humor payload too weak, and it felt like too many Avengers were crowding it for screen time (which the other Marvel and even Avenger movies seem to do a better job mitigating). The fact that they were all fighting each other was really labored and took away much of the fun of the other Avengers movies where, despite the bickering, they're all on the same side. I put Civil War near the bottom of the Marvel barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.