Avengers: Infinity War

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well I actually was thinking more of Winter Soldier that had the 3 Days of the Condor vibe. I actually don't see much in the way of clichés in the movie Civil War but your trash is my treasure.

Simon A and jhm like this.
  2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I'm not making any claim that these Marvel movies are film masterpieces so not sure why that comment is directed at me. Also, you're a little late to the Hurt party as @Parachute Woman already made the correction. It's kind of weird to begin with as I'm pretty damn sure I didn't type "Infinity War" in my post 6 weeks ago - as indeed I meant Civil War. I've seen where other posts get mysteriously edited after the fact for unknown reasons. It's a shame those others that conversed with me after my June 19 post didn't quote me as that may have reflected what I originally wrote. Oh well...enough pedantry.

I disagree with the fact Scarlet Witch had no reason to use her mental powers. There was plenty of time and enough reasons for her to do so. The character didn't use them because they weren't convenient for the story these writers wanted to tell. Logic/continuity weren't the primary driving factors there. I also don't agree with your assessment of the IM vs Cap fight but I won't go into that since the thread's really about IW and not CW.

3. To each their own perhaps it was a convenient plot device, perhaps when working on the script, they decided that there was no reason to use her powers. Usually when a writer is working through elements of a script they address that knowing that (even if, for example, it isn't IN the script)the audience will figure it out or not and criticize them or not.

I know what you mean about writing something and remembering writing something else. There's sometimes a difference between what we meant to say and what we do say, not a big deal I just wanted to clarify that you were talking about Infinity vs. Civil War after all, there seem to be lots of wars both in and out of Avengers movies.

4. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Ain't that the truth!

5. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Watched the standard Blu-ray tonight. Loved the movie in the theater but sitting through it a second time was a bit of a chore and I found myself FF through some of the battle scenes in Wakanda near the end.

The bonus scenes range from meh (the scene with Happy showing up with Stark and Pepper in the park) to pretty good (the extended scene with Thanos and Gamora). Most of the bonus scenes feature unfinished CG effects. I skimmed through the other lightweight bonus features and was a bit surprised there seems to be little to no mention of Jim Starlin's contribution to the original character(s).

Once again, Disney has released a big action film with a rather tepid soundtrack. I think it has a bit more power and punch then some of the other recent Marvel releases but I found I really had to crank it up which led to the big action scenes becoming fatiguing to listen to. It's almost like Disney is brickwalling their audio at a low volume (vs pegging everything to the point of clipping) or something, it just doesn't seem really dynamic or immersive and the low end is certainly unimpressive. Fortunately, there's nothing to complain about in regards to the video quality - the movie looks excellent.

Will definitely import the 3D Blu-ray when it becomes available via the UK.

6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I could be mistaken here but I was under the impression that Digital release was July 30 and Blu-Ray/DVD was August 14. You purchased this disc?

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree that the 7. 1 mix on the BD is mastered too low, though I thought it had good punch when I raised the volume.

The Atmos mix on the 4K seemed mastered at a better level, though - I was able to play it at my normal volume and get the right level.

Gratuitous link to my BD review (4K posts next week):

Avengers: Infinity War [Blu-Ray] (2018)

8. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I have a local retailer that sells stuff to me as soon as they get releases from the distributor, usually about 2 weeks before street dates.

Simon A likes this.
  9. Finally saw this over the weekend. While I really enjoyed it, there were two points that keeps this to 'good popcorn fare' as opposed to a well thought-out movie:

They specifically included dialog about Thor not going for Thanos' head. But why the heck didn't Doctor Strange use his portal to cut Thanos' hand off, just like what happened to that monster/baddie they were fighting in New York? He had multiple opportunities to do this. Geez, he could have just lopped of Thanos' head via closing portal around it if he wanted to kill him.

If Thanos wanted to destroy half of all living things due to limited resources, why didn't he just double the amount of resources instead? And it's not like the universe won't continue to multiply and soon be back at the same population levels - surely even Thanos would have thought of this?

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This is a good point. In the comics Thanos was obsessed with pleasing the entity of Death, so it made sense in that respect to make such an offering, whereas with the film removing that aspect it doesn't quite add up now.

Well, finally saw it, and managed to go in relatively spoiler free (though I read the comics back in the day. Big Starlin fan). I didn't think the film could stay afloat with so many characters but somehow it manages to work. Very entertaining, and Thanos is finally a Marvel cinematic villain worth fearing.

Now we know damn well all these things will be undone, so the losses are not quite so traumatic, but who knows? Maybe some of these actors want out of the MCU. I could nit pick some things about logic and such but it's just a superhero movie. Leave brain at the door.

I really wish Captain America could be Captain America again. Is that allowed to happen?

I hope Spidey space suit is temporary. Too much gadgetry for our Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman. I prefer Peter to be more low-tech, not just "Iron Man-lite".

Nice to see Red Skull again.

11. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Maybe. But I reckon they'll go the Ant-Man route (mentioned by Michelle Pfeiffer at the end of 'Ant-Man & the Wasp').

12. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Oooo, contentious. To many of us, especially now he's passed, he'll always be remembered as The War Doctor.

wayneklein and andybeau like this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

I'm disappointed "New York Groove" and Ace Frehley talk wasn't heard in the finished film. Degenerate Ace Frehley could have made a cameo in a future Guardians of the Galaxy film.

What do you think is the deal with Hulk? He got beat up and now he's scared to come out? Am I the only one hoping for the Gray Hulk to come out and take over? In Ragnarok, Hulk in the hot-tub was essentially Mr. Fixit, although not quite as articulate. Peter David's Grey Hulk run of comics were some of my favorite Hulk stories.

Has anyone anywhere in the world lamented the lack of Hawkeye in this film? ;)

I don't like Black Widow having blonde hair. Just have to say that.

If they are short of heroes in the next film can they go slumming and get tv's Daredevil and Iron Fist for help?

Doctor Strange's persona seem a bit off at times. I realize they need to add some humor in there and make it cool for the kids but in the comics I read Stephen Strange would not say some of these things. We've gone from "By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth!" to "douche bag". Terrific.

Shawn likes this.
  14. Love Peter David's run on The Hulk, one of my favorite eras of that title as well. I even had a letter printed in one of those issues :D

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Daniel Plainview likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Did you see the scene? I totally understand why it was cut, it was totally pointless.

16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Agreed. But the fanboy in me showed himself by immediately identifying and saying; "he's using the crimson bands of Cyttorak!". My galpal thought I'd lost it!;). I thought the ONLY worthwhile scene the Hulk & the Widow (HATED the blond hair!) had in the entire movie was when they saw each other. Otherwise, their characters contributed nothing. I just saw this recently and thought it was good, but certainly not as great as it's been hailed to be.

17. Daniel Plainview

Oh, I understand the scene being cut. I just want to hear the song!

Deuce66 likes this.
  18. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I am hoping the next film will focus on the Avengers (which is where I think they are headed). Although we know many deaths will be undone, perhaps the cost will be high to bring them back which will add weight to it.

I also am longing for Cap to return to being Cap. He has been disillusioned long enough.

I love Red Skull.

19. Daniel Plainview

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I'm so ticked that Marvel wasted "The Defenders" title on their group of TV misfits. Dr. Strange teaming up with Nighthawk (Tom Cruise), Valkrie (should be Charlize Theron but we're stuck with the lady from Thor...I guess...), Gargoyle (CGI voiced by the late Ernest Borgnine), Son of Satan (Joaquin Phoenix) Hellcat Patsy Walker (Amy Adams) and Devil-Slayer (Channing Tatum) would be a guaranteed HIT! Yes, I have put way too much thought into this! And it will never happen. Why, God, why!!??

20. Luke The Drifter

I read somewhere that with the Infinity Stones Thanos already possessed, he wass practically invulnerable to being harmed in this way.

On the second, while you are correct, there are any number of madmen in earth's history that felt what they were doing made sense, when it did not. I just assume we can lump Thanos in the same group.

21. Luke The Drifter

Hulk has to come back in a major way. I also hated the blonde hair. I have a theory:

Most if not all of the original theatrical Avengers are a little out of sorts right now. Cap is Nomad. He and Tony are at odds. Widow has blonde hair. The Hulk refuses to come out. Hawkeye is under house arrest. I think the next film will focus on them (killing off everybody eliminates the huge numbers to deal with), and they will return to their original selves to defeat Thanos. There will be a major sacrifice (I am guessing Cap, but maybe he and Tony), which will not make bringing back the other characters a cheat.

22. Thanks had already started this way before using the Infinity Stones to eliminate half of the people in the universe. He’s insane and this is about using it as an excuse to kill the people by willing them out of existence.

23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Good movie. A few points

I like Tony Stark more than Iron Man. I think he's to much of a CG character now with to many gadgets.
    The Banner /Hulk thing was weird. Maybe they do something with it in the next one?
    I thought Thanos and the other CG charcater looked like crap(read: not believeable) in the start of the film, but then I got used to it. Mainly because Thanos was a great villain.
    Loved the Edinburgh setting. Looks gothic and very "filmic" .
    Long movie but could use ten min more to smoothen out some things.
    I like to see more of Dr Strange. His powers are really great for movies like this.
    Hope to see more of Steve Rogers in the sequel. Winter Solder and Civil War are top five in the series for me.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Straight theatrical cut or expanded ?

25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

There is no extended version to my knowledge.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.