Avocado Memories: Photos of long-forgotten blank cassettes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clark V Kauffman, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For years I've tried to find info or at least a picture of the first cassette player / recorder I owned, which was Santa's Christmas present in 1975. Unlike the ones in the pictures, this one didn't have a set of buttons for the transport functions but a center knob, silver with a black center dot, with a handle that allowed you to turn it either clockwise or counterclockwise to access the different functions. Clockwise from far left, they were rewind, stop (12:00 position), play and fast forward. For recording, it had a red button to the left side that had to be kept pushed while turning the main knob to the the "play" position. On the right side, it had a blue button that opened the lid and also ejected the cassette by pressing it to the very bottom. It had a gray speaker cover and, on top left, there were the radio dial and the radio / tape selector. Brand was "Megatone", but I don't think it was a "real" brand. Does anybody know which recorder I'm talking about? I'd love to see it again.

2. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sounds a lot like this one, right down to the placement of the radio dial and the tape selector....

[​IMG]

crispi and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  3. Clark V Kauffman

Check out this bad boy...

[​IMG]

4. :goodie: :pineapple: :bdance:That's it! Thank you, thank you very much! It's nothing special, but it was my first cassette player and it gave me lots of happiness when I was a kid. I appreciate your help a lot. :righton: :edthumbs: :tiphat:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    sunspot42 likes this.
  5. Clark V Kauffman

This is a very sharp design...
    [​IMG]

6. Clark V Kauffman

Cool! I can relate. It was a real mind-trip for me a few years ago when I saw an old Mayfair that was just like my first cassette recorder. I hadn't seen one in 40 years, but as a kid, that thing was the center of my universe.
    As for your Megatone recorder, I have seen pictures of that same model with a couple different nameplates, including "Grand" and "Realtone."

7. Clark V Kauffman

One for the kids...

[​IMG]

zebop and warp2600 like this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This post is the first time i've ever seen a Pioneer brand tape. They were not available everywhere. If I had seen them, I certainly would have bought one.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That tape looks very much like the Memorex tape of the mid-80s.

zebop likes this.
  10. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Yep Grant, Certon tried. It doesn't sound like a Maxell though ::laugh:

Grant likes this.
  11. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

I got a Mayfair cassette recorder for my birthday when I was 10, but not the one a few pages back. I had a deluxe model with volume/tone controls, but I've yet to find a photo of it online. I had a lot of fun with it creating silly news and DJ shows with my brother.

12. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

Now and then I look through the cassettes at thrift stores, but the only ones I pick up now are high bias blank tapes in good shape.
    The TDK SA-90 and the Maxell UDXL-II (later just the XL-II) were the tapes I preferred in my college days.
    [​IMG]

13. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Wow. Talk about memories. How many hours I spent creating compilations on nearly every type of cassette shown in this thread. Now and then, I still come across a few. Cool beanz! :agree:

Andersoncouncil and zebop like this.
  14. zebop

I found these dumpster diving after a yard sale. The dumpster was about 6 feet tall too, it was worth it, found soe newer cassettes as well as these, you don't see a lot of them often.

[​IMG]

McLover and xilef regnu like this.
  15. Clark V Kauffman

Looks like those are mostly from the 1972-1975 era.

zebop likes this.
  16. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

What amazed me about the compact cassette is how far they go from their humble origins as a Dictaphone format. It was Phillips that invented the format and Philips that invented the later CD format which ultimately killed off the compact cassette, ie once CDs became versatile for car and Walkmans and later when they became recordable.

The quality of recordings you could make in the mid 80s from quality decks using metal tapes was surprisingly good. Putting reel to reel aside, I was only able to surpass them with analogue tape using a Hi Fi VCR, when they could record using the entire width of the video tape.

17. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

This is a brilliant thread, brought back memories of unheard-of brand tapes from supermarkets - I particularly remember Sim (staggeringly awful - I'd record something on my dad's Pioneer cassette deck with the meters into the red, then when I played it back the meters would barely move), Justine (three different colour cassettes with no cases in a polythene pack) and TWD (clearly designed to look like TDK at a casual glance).

It's heartbreaking that tape is a whole technology that's practically been and gone.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  18. Clark V Kauffman

Some interesting tapes from the past, including some attempts at cross-marketing with cigarette manufacturers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Clark V Kauffman

Apparently, this is a thing now: Lamps constructed of old cassettes... Pretty cool, actually.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Clark V Kauffman

21. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I've noticed that older chrome and metal tapes, even used ones are starting to go for pretty serious money on ebay...

I've got quite a collection of sealed blanks, some going back to the late 70's - perhaps I could make a pretty penny from some of them!

22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Geez, @zebop --
    There's one particular Scotch variety in your photo:
    Screen shot 2015-08-04 at 2.34.46 AM.png
    ....that I recall using to record a multi-hour Elton John special in, I'm guessing, about 1974, probably from KOL radio in Seattle. I may still have that floating around somewhere, utterly buried in a box out in the garage.....

andrewskyDE and zebop like this.
  23. Same here. I had quite a few BBC live concerts on those Sony's. Decent quality and cheap if bought in bulk.

24. zebop

Ha, that's very cool, MLuttans, I thought it was from this time frame. The person I got got them from kept them in good condition and recorded either classical or gospel on the cassettes. I was happy to find those, I'm a big fan of cassette variations and always liked the era of Scotch tape.

MLutthans likes this.
  25. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

I buy tapes off eBay all the time to use on my Tascam 244 fourtrack. New album (LP/CD/DL) out November! Taped over old compilation tapes and new stock off eBay. Cassette tape ~ sounds great!

JP Christian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.