"Axis Bold As Love": Best Vinyl version.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robin L, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore Thread Starter

I'm playing my mid 70's copy of "Axis Bold As Love", and realizing that it's too wiped out to keep, so it's headed to the yard sale. What's the best vinyl version?

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

For the mono version, I don't think you could beat the Classic pressing.

Stereo, probably an original pressing on Track would be nice...but, I'm guessing here! ;)

kozy814 likes this.
  3. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I rather like my two-tone Reprise. Really warm, nice tone.

4. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

I just bought and listened to the Classic Mono yesterday. I vote for that!

5. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

For stereo, an original first-pressing UK Track Records is the one to have. I haven't heard anything that even comes close. Seems to be awefully rare, though. I also have a couple of copies of the "Experience Hendrix" 180 gram vinyl versions which aren't bad, but they're digitally mastered.
    All copies of the Reprise stereo version pale in comparison to either of these, but the Track pressing has the "fairy dust", IMHO.

6. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Supposedly there's a super rare mono Reprise (tricolored label). Anyone heard that?

All Down The Line likes this.
  7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore Thread Starter

Anybody have a photo of the UK "Track" record label of the appropriate vintage? I'm a big fan of "fairy dust".

8. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I have both if the mono reissues. How is the original tri-color US stereo pressing? I'm trying to decide which pressing to buy.

9. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I saw one for sale in a record shop yesterday, but they wanted a small fortune for it. Wish I could hear it/buy it, but it's too rich for my blood. Sticking with the 2013 mono reissue for now, very happy with the way this one sounds (in the absence of a spendier, better-sounding alternative. Ignorance is bliss!!!!).

latheofheaven likes this.
  10. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Ive got
    - Reprise stereo
    - EH MCA (digital master)
    - EH Sony (analog master?)
    - Classic Records mono

The Classic has the best dynamics but I prefer the Reprise, which has a warm, organic tone. Anyway, why all the fuss on SHF about mono? :hide: This album was made to be heard in stereo

11. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

12. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Have you heard a US Reprise stereo -1A -1A Santa Maria pressing with 'tri-color steamboat' labels? IMO that's a worthy contender, even against the UK Track version. The US -1A has a bit more presence, and there's a very good chance it was cut from the master tapes. It really sounds great. (I learned about this pressing from forum member Cassius)

And, I agree that the Classic Records mono is a good one stop shopping alternative. Although both mixes have great merit, I prefer the stereo for Axis. Still the Classic Records mono has a place in my collection.

13. TLMusic

For the early US Reprise LPs, the label is not so important, other than a Tri-Color label has higher collector value. It's the deadwax that matters. I've heard early copies with handwritten -1A -1B, and IIRC -1C that all sounded great and had either label type. The -1A is a bit better to my ears. Good luck finding a clean copy.

14. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

The 2010 stero reissues of US AYE, Axis, ELl are indeed great. But for price sensitive buyers I'd advise to check
    for the best prise. Axis e.g. is available from importcds for $12.66 (as of now) which is cheaper than acousticsounds.

kozy814 and Scott Wheeler like this.
  15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I can't believe how little mention there's been of the wonderful 2010 reissue of ABL in this thread. It sounds amazing, it's a great pressing, the OP will be able to get it for far less than a clean original (or probably even a clean '70s or '80s reissue), and since it would be a brand-new copy, it will last the OP for the rest of his life.

jasonsouza77 and hodgo like this.
  16. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I like the 2010 Sony Legacy version and also the Universal Back To Black version from a few years before...

kozy814 likes this.
  17. Hendrix_Fan

Hendrix_Fan Active Member

I didn't realize there were different sounding versions for the TriColor label. I just checked mine and it is 1A.

I do prefer the 2010 Sony Legacy version though.

18. TLMusic

Hello, to my ears the sound differences can be subtle between the Tri color stereos. There are two or three cuttings and the records were made at various pressing plants, include Columbia Santa Maria, Pittman and Terra Haute. At least that's what I've seen in the used bins over the years.

Now, if you prefer the Legacy vinyl, you could sell your -1A for a pretty penny--if it's in top condition.

19. TLMusic

One reason they are not mentioned is that most of this thread dates from 2006.

You're talking about the 2010 reissue cut by George Marino at Sterling? Yes, that's a quality reissue and will greatly serve most people's purposes. They are purportedly all-analog from the best sources. However, I sold mine. I found the sound to be a bit too forward and 'hard' for my tastes. The best vintage pressings sound more realistic and easy on the ears IMO. But they're gonna cost more, and it will take some time to hunt down a clean one.

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

*facepalm*

I am usually so good about spotting that, too. Oh well.

latheofheaven likes this.
  21. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

ya gotta admit there is a certain amount of irony in talking about the "realism" of a classic psychedelic LP

latheofheaven and Leonthepro like this.
  22. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Thanks for the responses. I'm not opposed to spending a bit of money for an early pressing, but it may be best to pick up a copy of the 2010 stereo and see if I'll be happy with that. It beats playing the crapshoot on eBay trying to get a clean copy. But if anyone has a -1A to sell that is in good shape hit me up.

Mazzy likes this.
  23. TLMusic

True.

But, through my guitar escapades I have had the chance to own or at least play through a lot of gear similar to what Hendrix played. I had quite a few pre 1970 Strats, even had a red Dallas Arbiter fuzz face which I sold for 'stupid' money. In fact, just last weekend I was over at the local tube amp guru's shop while he was working on a late 60s 100 watt Marshall guitar amp. Woah, what a sound! So, I think the best versions of Axis demonstrate how well the recording captured the sound and vibe of that vintage guitar gear. And, in my experience, brand new Fender and Marshall equipment like they sell at Guitar Center does not exactly sound like that.

Hamhead and ellingtonic like this.
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The 2010 Axis sounds analog to me.

25. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

how does one identify a santa maria pressing?does it say that in the dead wax? thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.