Axis VoiceBox S mini-monitors, they are really great! See post #57!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

These speakers from Australian company Axis are a little over 2k US and provide remarkable sound for their dinky size. Designed by engineering rivals John Riley and Brad Serhan, I first heard them at the Newport Show last year when I was walking by an audio room with some friends. I heard something I hadn't heard that much at the show: Natural sound. I thought to myself: "Self, that sounds like a human voice in that room singing, not some tipped up recording. Let's investigate!"

So I did, walking into the friendly room of COLLEEN CARDAS IMPORTS to investigate and I'm glad of it, these little buggers have served me quite well on many projects. They are pretty black lacquer, easy on the eyes, and the sound is accurate for such a small speaker. Would be perfect for anyone who likes a smaller speaker or has a smaller room. I carry them all over the house as needed, they even work well in my giant living room.

Problem is, I have been using a friend's 60 watt amp to power them, it is now gone and I have nothing in the house that I can use with these; all of my amps are SETs! Not enough juice for a 83 db pair of loudspeakers, as fine as they are. They need at least 60 tube watts to shine.

Any suggestions as to what to use? The field is wide open, anything over 60 watts will do..

Suggest something and I will investigate. I'm out of my league now, all I know anymore is 9 watt single ended triode amps!

Thanks.

axis.jpg

vinyl anachronist and bhazen like this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Integrated, or separates?

3. Steve Hoffman

Dunno! Suggest something, I'll get a review sample.

4. Benzion

5. Benzion

6. Benzion

7. Benzion

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Benzion likes this.
  9. Benzion

I didn't know what Steve's budget was, but, thinking he can get better offers than we can, I went for the better ones, rather than for the usual suspects, such as the Cronus Magnum or Stereo 100 from Rogue, although I'm sure they're not bad either.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. Benzion

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Right there with VTL is BAT. This VK-76se is a big dog. I would be willing to bet that the VK-55 would drive those speakers without any trouble. I have a VK-30 preamp and it is terrific. The owner personally responds to emails in about ten minutes if you ever have a question.

Benzion likes this.
  12. Benzion

I think the owner is Russian?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

He is but has been in the states for many years and builds his equipment in Maryland.

14. Benzion

These I actually heard in November, at the NYC Audio Show, they were tremendous:

AlexusAudio

But I don't see them in the production line list on his website. He might send you a show pair, though. I spoke to him, he's a very nice Russian guy

15. Benzion

I have been in the States for many years too, I'm still Russian, :). So is Lamm, so is the guy from my next suggestion. Russians are crazy for good gear.

BuddhaBob and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It would seem so, Victor at BAT seems to quite the genius. I would however be less than enthusiastic about buying something made in the Federation.

17. Benzion

So would I. The better Russian craftsmen are... here.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  18. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Joe Spivey likes this.
  19. Benzion

I thought about that one, too. But, min power reqirement in this thread is listed at 60 wpc, and this one is listed at 48 wpc. To get more - they suggest tube rolling. Honestly, to pay $10k for an amp and then have to deal with tube rolling to get the power you need - somehow did not sound right to me, so I skipped it. I do think the amp must sound glorious, though, as everyone is positively raving about Raven Audio amps.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Hey, they still make it. It wouldn't be my first choice but easy to find, holds its value and throws some power. I doubt Steve needs to do any research on this one.

21. Steve Hoffman

Ironically I gave mine to Colleen Cardas' boyfriend Uncle Marc a few years ago. Silly me.

22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I believe the BAT factory is in Connecticut.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

24. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

75W Coincident Dragon if you have the moolah.

25. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

My first thought was the MC275. I auditioned some Harbeth 40.2s at my local dealer with a C2500/MC275 and this Synthesis A100 Titan integrated (100W). They both sounded fantastic. Synthesis is an Italian company, and the integrated setup was a good deal compared to the McIntosh gear. I owned the Mac gear already so I stuck with it, but if I was in the market I might have pulled the trigger on the Synthesis.

[​IMG]

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.