Axis VoiceBox S mini-monitors, they are really great! See post #57!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

When you finally choose something, Steve - will you let us know what, and, possibly, give your impressions afterwards?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

@vinyl anachronist is going to send me a Australian REDGUM Black to try first. I'll report back!

3. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

damn. that's sexy as hell.

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

if you ever have a chance to visit an audio show mr. rossi will be there- most likely driving some harbeth 40.2s with a high end vinyl front end. his room sounded best of show to my ears the last two years at AXPONA. the amps are noise free because they run on a bank of charged capacitors completely isolated from AC line power. last year the speakers were placed in the room such that the sound stage was located behind them (somehow). the artists all had a spot on the "stage" and as you listened you could hear where they were on the floor- almost like ghosts. and the sound was so true to life- there were no clues or artifacts that you were listening to a recording. the sound was phenomenally natural.

Shawn likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

I want to play with that one that looks like a 1925 radio transmitter..

6. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

They're mono's, you'd need two...

7. Steve Hoffman

So I wanted to again plug the little Axis Voice Box S monitors. I have them on stands and am using them with a spare Voxativ subwoofer. They sound neutral, whatever you put in, comes out. If your recording is muted, it will sound muted, if your recording is bright, it will sound bright, but if your recording is wonderful, it will sound sublime. In other words, Steve's favorite kind of accurate monitor.

They really need a sub for weight below 70 cycles though, any old sub will do, doesn't have to be special.

Steve's tip for integrating a subwoofer into your system:

Make it fun. You have the CD of Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad around? Put it in, play that song that has the bass guitar solo introduction (forgot the name of it). IT'S CALLED "SNOWBOUND" YA DOOF. Leave sub off, give a listen and then play intro again, gradually turn sub up and adjust until each and every bass note from the top of the neck to the bottom sounds equal in volume and tone, no thump spots, no boomy spots, just an even run down the scale. Once you have it, just leave it. No need to readjust your subwoofer for every album. You shouldn't even know it's working. A sub can help your system but it can also make your stereo sound like a jacked up 1997 Chevy car stereo if integrated wrong so be careful.

At any rate, I LOVE THESE LITTLE AXIX VOICE BOX S MONITORS. I think the list is like $2,500.00 these days, you can probably get them for less. Beautiful piano black lacquer and I like the dedicated stands they come with (though you can use any old stands you have). With a subwoofer hooked up as mentioned above, you will have world class sound for not much money!

BTW, I'm currently using the fine Redgum BLACK RGi120ENR integrated solid state amp that Cardas Imports kindly sent me to power these beauties but any high quality medium powered amp should do the trick nicely.

Axis VoiceBox S Loudspeaker

head_unit, Xarkkon, jon9091 and 2 others like this.
  8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

How are the ribbon tweeters in those, no head in a vise issues?

9. Steve Hoffman

10. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

They look ace

11. UntilThen

UntilThen Active Member

Good feedback.

3 months ago I heard the Axis VoiceBox S with the Redgum RGi120ENR black series amp. Love it !!!

I'll be getting the VoiceBox soon and already have the Redgum amp. Looking forward to it.

Xarkkon likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Great, enjoy!

13. Xarkkon

Xarkkon Would you like a Custom Title?

Thanks for the write up Steve! Was hunting for my first pair of hifi speakers and encountered Axis by accident (demoed with Redgum as well). Couldn't believe my ears, especially at that price point.

With my untrained ears coupled with unfamiliarity with audio, I was quite sure I was missing something given no one online seemed to know about the brand. I took great comfort in knowing a known personality in the audio world owned and loved the brand.

Placed my order down for the floorstanders from Axis, the Voicebox FLS. Can't wait to have them delivered and installed! Will report in then :)

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  14. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I heard these at a dealer yesterday and was blown away. They are out of my budget as I was hoping to spend no more than $2000, but I may not be able to resist buying a pair. What was real telling was when we switched back and forth between the Voicebox and a pair of $1200 either Tannoy or Totem monitors, I cant remember which, and the Axis sounded so much better to me. More detailed, natural, and laid back. The treble on the $1200 speakers sounded harsh and congested in comparison. I can just imagine enjoying them at home for hours. I may go back to the dealer Saturday with my own SACD player and music for an extended audition.

15. sonicsstoog

sonicsstoog New Member

Rogue ST100, they sound incredible.

16. Xarkkon

Xarkkon Would you like a Custom Title?

I think you'll love them! They do indeed outperform similarly (or even more expensively) price speakers around in my humble opinion. Enjoy!

17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thanks for the comments. I am still thinking about the Axis, but am just put off by the high (to me) price. I think for about a grand less, the similarly sized Spendor A1 may be more within my budget and also sound very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.