B.B. King Live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue. Thread Starter

We were driving along the 401 (major highway) in Toronto and came upon B.B. King's tour bus. We passed it but alas the windows were blacked out and B.B. was probably in the air anyway. Turns out he's playing Montreal tonight. Family responsibilities prevented me from acting on my urge to follow that bus but I did play Live at The Regal a couple of times when we got home.

What a great album. Recorded at The Regal Theatre (Chicago) on November 21st, 1964. The audience at the Regal was predominantly black and that was a key factor in Producer Johnny Pate's choice of venue. Riley B. King was on home turf. We were nearing the end of the road for the Blues as black only. The audience expanded and this record took a new and growing white audience to "church" - call and response. B.B. told a story in words, through impassioned singing and on his guitar. As he says "When I sing, I play in my mind; the minute I stop singing orally, I start to sing by playing Lucille."
    The audience respond with words, applause and shrieks. Consummate mastery of the entertainer's art - you can close your eyes and imagine you were there in another time and a very different place.

If you want a taste, here's B.B. King's tour schedule:

1/26/03 Places des Arts Montreal, PQ
    1/27/03 John Labatt Center London, ON
    1/28/03 Hamilton Place Theatre Toronto, ON
    1/30/03 Count Basie Theater Red Bank, NJ
    1/31/03 Baker Ballroom Dover, NJ
    2/1/03 Broome County Arena Binghampton, NY
    2/2/03 Kirby Center of the Arts Wilkes Barre, PA
    2/4/03 State Theater Easton, PA
    2/7/03 Landmark Theater Syracuse, NY
    2/8/03 Center of Performing Arts Sewell, NJ
    2/9/03 Merill Auditorium Portland, ME

I'm just in a B.B. kind of mood.

John

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No FL...:sigh:

3. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

You can't go wrong with almost any of BB's live albums. However, I find I keep going back to the 2 CD comp from a couple years ago called "How Blue Can You Get?", which skims highlights from all his live albums and adds on some unreleased stuff to boot. Regal is well-represented, as is Cook County, Is King, etc. While any blues fan must have Regal in his/her collection, I would actually recommend this comp as the place to start because of all the periods/ground it covers.

4. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue. Thread Starter

Thanks CM,
    I will check "How Blue..." out. What's the best version of Live at the Regal? THe Box Set has one track, "Sweet Little Angel", from LATR but it sounds a lot better than the old CD.
    Also, do you know more about that concert? I think the album left off a number of songs. How does one get the complete concert?
    Thanks.
    John

5. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I have the MFSL and it's killer! :)

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I prefer Erik Labson's remastering over the Mofi... anyway a great live record.

7. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

See them live if you can. I have several times years ago and even stumbled into the band's dressing room area at Framingham College in MA in my efforts to find a restroom. They were sitting around between sets and were all nice and easy guys.

The 4 CD box is incredible, I think.

Bill

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

B.B. has played Vermont several times; I met him outside the auditorium about ten years ago. Just the kindest, nicest man. I had him autograph my original mono Confessin' The Blues(from 1965)LP. I gave him pause; he said he had not seen a copy of that album in about 20 years.

Live At The Regal is one of the best live albums ever.:thumbsup:

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

It certainly is! And B.B.'s a fellow diabetic, too...he understands the ups and downs....but has handled it remarkably well. A good role model for anyone...:thumbsup:

ED:cool:

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Indeed. One cannot miss the commercials for the new blood sugar testing device with B.B.(on the arm). "These ten fingers are all I've got!"

Also pretty much the last of the old time bluesmen; still playing and touring. The man is a marvel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.