B&W 603 S3 vs Vandersteen 1ci

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Percivale, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Percivale

Percivale Active Member Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have B&W 603 S3 and I am quite satisfied with them.
    However, I would like to improve my stereo output SINGFICANTELY.

I heard very good opinions about Vandersteen 1ci.
    Can anyone please advise me if it makes sense to replace B&W 603 S3 with Vandersteen 1ci. I realise that Vandies will probably be better but will this difference be really big? Are Vandersteen a class better than B&W 603 S3?

I have a rather small listening room about 18-20m and apm arcam AVR 400 with Oppo 83SE

I will be very grateful for any comment and help with my dilemma
    Best Regards

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm not familiar with the B&W 603s. That said, a few years ago I replaced a pair of Paradigm Studio 60 v.2s with a pair of Vandersteen 1Cs. The difference is not subtle. It wasn't so much the tone of the music but the soundstage and imaging of the Vandie's just killed the Paradigm's. It just made the music seem so much more natural and fun to listen to...yes fun.
    Since then I have owned quite a few speakers and have to say I believe in time coherent speakers with simple 1st order crossovers.

jupiterboy and Percivale like this.
  3. Percivale

Anyone has had experience with the above models?

4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Run, don't walk. Very different speakers. The Vandy 1s give up a little midrange enunciation for a very big, realistic sound. Maybe the 1Ci is better than the 1B. I'm no fan of B&W.

beowulf and Percivale like this.
  5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I just sold my 1B's the other day. They were great speakers, especially for the money. Their new owner is extremely happy. I have not heard the 1ci's but I have always liked the Vandersteen sound. To be honest, I have never been crazy about B&W speakers until you get into the $$$ range.

Percivale likes this.
  6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'd go with the Vandersteens, myself. Non-fatiguing, easy to partner/drive with a variety of electronics, revealing of upgrades. B&W aren't bad; but Vandersteen are truly "high end".

Percivale likes this.
  7. Percivale

Thank You all for very valuable comments.

I would never think that there is such a big difference in sound between 603 S3 and Vandersteen 1c.

I would expect rather small improvement since I thought that 603 S3 and V1C belong to the same budget category of speakers. Even 603 S3 could have an advantage of being 2½-way speaker in comparison to 2-way VC1.

I don't have a possibility to test Vandies that's why I am so grateful for Your comments.

bhazen likes this.
  8. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I'd go audition some other speakers as well. Maybe make it a goal to listen or 5 or 6 different sets before you lay your cash down. Start with some in your price range that get decent reviews in a couple of places.

Speakers are THE single most significant component in your system that will change the sound, and there are MANY different but valid approaches to the same goal.

beowulf, Percivale and jupiterboy like this.
  9. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I've had Vandersteen 1C's, and the only reason I parted with them was to move up to a larger and truly full range Vandersteen.

It will be a big difference for sure, because you're dealing with a time and phase coherent speaker, and your ears will probably go through an "adjustment period". But I think music sounds so much more pleasing this way.

Percivale likes this.
  10. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I am a huge fan of Vandersteen, but I would make sure you have a listen to them (any of them in the 1 or 2 range) so that you get a feel for their house sound. Some don't like it, especially if you are looking for really boosted bass or highs. The Vandersteens will play you the music as it exists, no more and no less, and their time and phase accuracy gives them a tremendous soundstage. They need to be set up correctly, and you need good electronics to match. Get it right, and they should be in a different class from the B&Os.

Percivale and Humbuster like this.
  11. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Oh my! From what I've been reading, I may have to upgrade. I wonder how they'd sound with my Adcom GFA 565 and GFA 555II?

12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Vandy 1s really like 40 or 50 good tube watts.

Percivale and hi_watt like this.
  13. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Word is born. And Vandersteens will always crave a good helping of power to help them boogie at their finest.

Percivale likes this.
  14. michaelopolis

michaelopolis New Member

I've owned a quite a few sets of speakers over the years and managed to pick up a set of 1C last year, Love them to bits, I'd only upgrade for a larger set of vandies, heard the B&Ws you speak of, nice speaker but the vandies are in a different league .

Percivale likes this.
  15. Percivale

Thank You all for comments.

Are Vandersteen 1c difficult to place? If placed close (or next to) furniture or close to the back wall, can they still give exceptional sound?
    Do they require a lot of free space around ?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  16. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Easier than some. The 1s come with good documentation, including a placement guide based on thirds. You have a transmission line firing at the back, so distance from walls will tighten up the bass. When I bought mine, I had a 20x12 approx room with well positioned doors. I could get them out away from the back wall and side walls, which really allows the speakers to work their magic. If you need something to place against a wall, this might not be the best choice. The woofer/mid is somewhat omnidirectional, and fires up to the ceiling. You tune the tweeters, which typically involves finding the placement and the tilting them back to aim the tweeter for ear height. They like around 9 ft between. Hope that helps.

Percivale likes this.
  17. Percivale

They could be placed about 35cm from the back wall and from one side, the speaker (unfortunately) has to be next to a piece of furniture.
    The distance bewteeen them could be around 7,2 ft.
    Are these acceptable conditions for 1s to let them show the advantage?

18. kmurp

kmurp Forum Resident

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I have a question on the Vandersteens. I see that they are now offered online by music direct and are therefore an option for me. They seem to work with less powerful amplifiers.
    My question is : do these speakers fairly much demand listening at the sweet spot with carefully adjusted speaker positioning? Will they still sound good off axis or away from this single position?

hi_watt likes this.
  19. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Oddly, they do both pretty well, which is one of their graces. The mid/woofer fires upward and that makes it a semi-omnidirectional speaker. Works fantastically at lower volumes to fill a room when people are milling around. Note: people will try to sit drinks on them and the top is screen only, so watch that like a hawk. The tweeter is what has to be aimed carefully, and when set up well, that's where you get the sweet spot listening. I would say it can be a fairly wide sweet spot, depending on room and distance from/between.

20. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I had my eye on those Vandersteens when I was looking for speakers. Would love to hear what you think if you go for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.