B&W 802D or save up for the 802 Diamond

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thebeatles67, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Evening everybody:wave:,

I'm getting somewhat closer to pulling the trigger on a new pair of speakers- (just sold my PSB towers last week)-here is my dilema---save 3-5K and buy the older used B&W 802D from an audiogon source? or save up a little and get the new 802 Diamond (which I have not heard yet-just read a review or two)-no Brick/Mortar shops with these in stock to audition within 200 miles of my home.

Is the upgrade from D to DI worth it? How many of you own either one?--what are your thoughts? I will be driving them with a McIntosh MC402--all input appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

2. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

For that price I would look at other lines.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If the difference in price between the D's and a new pair of Diamonds is only ~$3K, I'd definitely say save up for the Diamonds!

4. ktc1

ktc1 New Member

I think the OP is saying the older model would be 3-5K cheaper, not that he's looking to pay only 3-5K. I've heard the 802's (nice!) but not the diamonds, but I'd tend to agree with Wasatch; then you're not wondering what if later on.

5. thebeatles67

To clarify: The new 802 Diamonds are around 14K I'm told (any B and W dealers here on the forum?)--maybe a little less---I see the older 802Ds all the time between 8-9K on audiogon.

6. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

The 802D does have the diamond tweeter...

7. thebeatles67

Correct sir-----my question put another way--will I have buyer remorse of not getting the 802DI vs getting the older 802 D?---just how much improvement was made between the two?

8. spacemanrick

spacemanrick Well-Known Member

I picked up the new 802DI speakers last month and love them. Beautiful looking and full sounding speakers with beautiful highs and nice punchy bass. I have not compared them though to the prior 802D speakers but I am sure they also sound great.

With a $5,000 difference why not just go for the new 802DI model, that way you will not be ever tempted to doubt yourself on this purchase. The 802DI was also just released last year so they will be the "new model" speaker for another 5 years or so. Also the $5,000 price difference will pretty well be made up compared to the 802D speakers if you ever decide to sell the 802DI speakers in the future.

9. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

To the OP: Unless I'm misreading your post, I'm just curious as to how you decided on B&W without hearing them? Not that there's anything wrong with B&W, but at that price level, there are so many choices and flavors. I can't imagine buying speakers without auditioning them first; even if I had to plan a vacation around visiting a dealer hundreds of miles away! I'm not criticizing you, BTW.

10. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I've got a call in to B&W, as we have the 802 in transit and it is still being referred to as 802D

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I realize $5K is a lot of coin, but I'd rather have new with warranty (and likely better sound) over used. You might even be able to get 10% off of new from your dealer.

12. thebeatles67

I have heard the 802D (the older one) and I really liked it. The new 802DI is the one I have not heard--and you're right--I wouldnt buy unless I hear it but the nearest stocking dealer is in Atlanta or Raleigh NC (both 4 hours one way)--hoping someone here on the forum has the NEW 802DI to give some opinion.

13. ktc1

ktc1 New Member

Four hours is not too far. Make an appointment, grab a bunch of music and hit the road; you'll be glad you did. Perhaps one of the dealers has both on the floor by chance and see which can assemble a system that is closest to what you have. I even brought my own TT & amp to a speaker audition once.

14. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I agree it's worth the drive to audition. You're thinking of a big investment doing this. It's worth it.

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Ideally, you should hear both speakers in the same system with familiar music for comparison. At the very least, try out the newer model. I also agree that you should try other brands.

16. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Audio Advice in Raleigh has an excellent showroom and knowlegeable sales guys. Ask for Ivan (my dealer) as he focuses on 2 channel. AA carries the full line of B&W and should be able to accommodate you.

17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Dude, you ALREADY have buyer's remorse! And you haven't even bought the speakers! :laugh:

Don't wonder "what if" for the rest of your life. MAKE THE TREK to hear the new ones at a dealer. Call, make an appointment, tell them flat out you were thinking of buying 802Ds but got curious to hear the new ones to see if they were worth saving up a bit more for. Tell it bluntly just like that-if their attitude does not seem good, go to another dealer.

You wouldn't buy a car without driving it, would you? You'll have these speakers probably forever, so spend the by-comparison small effort to go check them out. If you love them at the dealer, you won't regret buying them over the older model. (Well, do check the return policy just in case they somehow don't match your room or fit or some other problem). If you DON'T check them out, you'll hate yourself forever. And if you buy the new ones WITHOUT checking them out, you'll always wonder if that was stupid.

So GET DRIVIN'! Look at it as a mini-vacation opportunity. Both Raleigh and Charleston are quite nice in my book.

Heck, this dealer is only an hour from you:
    Audio Advice
    11409 Carolina Place Pkwy
    Pineville
    North Carolina
    Directions
    69.32mi/111.56km
    704-821-4510
    http://www.audioadvice.com

18. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

I heard the original 802D speakers, and thought they lost control of the highs. They became uncomfortable.

The new 802D is much smoother and extended, very natural sound.

I think you'll be glad you got the new ones, they're much nicer!

19. spacemanrick

sorry double post

20. thebeatles67

The dealer in Pineville doesn't carry the 802DI--they are the smaller sister location of the Raleigh store--but I agree --ROAD TRIP. Has anyone--anyone here on the forum heard the new 802DI?

Mike

21. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Sounds like a road-trip to me too... that's a pretty big investment regardless of your fiscal situation, do your due diligence! I only wish I was in the position to consider that choice for myself... have fun, and let us know what your decision is :righton:

22. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

It doesn't matter, you have to check 'em out!

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

thebeatles67,

I assume that this will be a purchase that you will have to live with for a considerable time? If so, as others have suggested, I would go with the new model for (a) piece of mind, and (b) the improved sound quality. Unless the seller of the previous model 802Ds is local, you will have no way to audition, and will have to pay substantial shipping costs (each speaker is about 200 lbs packed) before you will be able to check that there is no damage to the finish, or that the speakers have been thrashed. Moreover, you would be relying on the skill of the seller to properly re-box them.

An extra $5k is a lot of money, but you get factory-fresh speakers, delivered and installed by the dealer. It could be the start of a long-term relationship for future purchases, as you could easily have these speakers for 10 years, or more!

Here is the TAS review of the new 802D:

http://www.sonusart.hr/files/Image/Recenzije/Bowers_Wilkins/TAS_208_802_Diamond.pdf

TAS had a similarly glowing review of the new 805D recently and Stereophile just gave a similar review to the new 800D. So, I see no reason to question this purchase. The 802D is about the nearest thing to an industry standard large monitor, and is used in many studios around the World.

If you buy them, I'm sure you will enjoy them immensely!

P.S. I WOULD consider buying used if you knew the seller, and knew the provenance of the speaker. So, if you had a pal who had bought a pair of the older 802Ds, used them sparingly, and offered them to you at a considerable saving over the new model, I would then consider it very seriously. However, I would then advise against hearing the new model, better not to know how much better it may be, and live happily ever after.

24. spacemanrick

I agree that it makes sense to hear the 802di speakers before you buy them if you can. On the other hand if you liked the old 802d speakers then you will be almost guaranteed to like the newer 802di speakers more. Every review that I have read and every posting on the Internet forums that I have read indicates that the 802di sounds better than the 802d speaker. Resale values on the 802 speakers are very good so in a worst case scenario if you want to sell you should not lose too much if you change your mind.....myself on the other hand, I plan to keep mine for at least 10 years :righton:

25. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.