B&W being purchased by a Silicon Valley Startup

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Only time will tell...

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Which is probably exactly what happened.

eddiel likes this.
  3. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

From what I've seen, the CM Series don't hold their value on the used market.

4. Were Classe and Rotel part of the deal, too? B&W owned them.

5. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

It would seem so. There is a line in a recent TWICE article about Eva Automation's purchase of B&W which states, "Eva's technologies could potentially be integrated into Classe and Rotel audio components."

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, if I had $800M in F.U. money from Facebook, I wouldn't mind blowing $50 million buying an audiophile company that made great products. I would hope they could at least break even over the next few years... and it's a tough market out there. I hope we don't see $99 B&W speakers for sale at Walmart... :eek:

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:biglaugh: Made in Cambodia ...

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

... on assembly lines by 8-year-old children making $10 a day...

sunspot42 likes this.
  9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Could be much less ...

Sneaky Pete, sunspot42 and Vidiot like this.
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

To this day, I've never had any audio gear mass produced with slave labor break on me. Only hand made with pride in America stuff.

Off topic of course, just been on my mind as I wait to hear back from Schiit about my DAC that broke after a couple weeks of owning it.

11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Maybe at the online B&W Outlet?

Fingers crossed for refurbished B&W 805s at 50% off.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Best Buy here in the US sells their speakers - I assume you can occasionally get a deal on returns there for the models they sell.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And then you find out it's the Chinese knock-off made with styrene plastic speaker cones. :sigh:

14. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

So can we take that statement as your endorsement of child/slave labor? Or perhaps just your indictment of limited production hand-crafted products? Just curious. ;-)

I'll reserve judgement, but if the history of audio is any indicator this does not bode well for B&W. Let's hope this take over is the exception.

15. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Consumer electronics build quality is going down across the board and not just in audio. There are very few exceptions. This is unfortunate particularly since the basic electrical components have tighter tolerances than older production. But even if B&W were not taken over this way as a billionaire toy, it is highly doubtful that their new product would be built to the same standard as legacy gear. If that bothers buyers then they probably need to restore the legacy gear instead of buying new.

16. Sneaky Pete

It's true that there is not the market share for new gear to be cost effectively built to the standards of legacy equipment. The technology for high end stereo is mature and highly-refined, some great gear is being built but the pricing is often stratospheric.

Mr Bass likes this.
  17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Its an endorsement of the idea that it's not good enough to simply put an American flag sticker on your gear and claim it more reliable then the competition. For instance, per the example I cited, Schiit repaired my DAC, then it exhibited the same problem again, and they told me it must be my fault and refuse to fix it again. As they brag about their made-in-America quality and how much better it is then "poorly made" gear that somehow never ever breaks.

My way-too-expensive McIntosh gear also exhibits quirks that should have been easy to fix. But again, my dirt-cheap made in China stuff has no such problems. It's kind of embarassing, really.

schizzzo and bibijeebies like this.
  18. Sneaky Pete

Agreed, being made in America is not enough to overcome poor workmanship and design flaws. That's a lesson the automobile manufacturers learned all too well.

My Krell and PS Audio gear has been rock-solid and reliable. The quirkiest gear I own is a CEC CD player but it sounds so damn good I put up with it.:)

Maybe B&W will actually benefit from new cash and new ideas. I hope so, because I have always held their products in high regard.

19. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I don't think the usual paradigms apply; we've not before seen a mature audio brand absorbed by a cutting-edge tech company...much less one with the Silicon Valley clout here. Consumer tech on the Apple model is about innovation and integration, not exploitation of the brand name with cut-rate licensing deals.

I certainly think that B&W can use significant input on their industrial design direction - I've always found the biggest resistance to B&W products is their aesthetic.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  20. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

In terms of audio gear reliability I think the dividing line is hand or custom manufacture vs generic part manufacturing. I agree that large company generic amplifiers/ digital from the Far East often are reliable enough but necessarily have bland cookie cutter sonics. They are using only the most highly tested components which were designed for manufacturing stability, not for sonics. Trying to produce something with better than generic sonics inevitably introduces more customized designs which haven't passed large scale QA or RAM analysis (RAM = reliability, availability, maintainability).

The CEC CD players are a case in point with excellent sonics but quirky failure prone design. Far Eastern tubes are often worse than generic sounding because tubes require skill in assembly. Small American or Euro production can't afford industrial QA without extremely high prices.

Krlpuretone is likely on the right track suggesting that the B&W takeover is more about industrial design or transfer technology than any attempt to improve the sonics.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

And we still haven't. The company that bought B&W currently does nothing else - it has no products, no clout, nothing but a lot of Facebook cash. This could be a good thing or a bad thing, we won't know until we know.

Sneaky Pete and sunspot42 like this.
  22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Really? Because I think they've easily got the best-looking speakers anybody's making these days, at least stuff you can commonly find in a lot of shops.

wgriel and SteelyTom like this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I agree they look great. However, I don't like the recent design for the 800 series as much as the previous ones.

24. Really their aesthetic is lacking for you? I think some of their speakers have been beautiful, especially those designed by the British design firm Pentagram.

SteelyTom, Sneaky Pete and sunspot42 like this.
  25. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I'm conveying the comments of several of my customers over the years, enough that is a bit of a common refrain. Not really looking to spark a subjective debate about it.

I've personally witnessed a lower than normal significant other approval factor for B&W speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.