B&W being purchased by a Silicon Valley Startup

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Interesting. Before the current design used in the Nautilus/S/Diamond lines was the Matrix series, which I think are some of the ugliest speakers of all time. It's an eye opener that we all have different opinions, as I've always felt the 800 series are among the best looking speakers of all time, regardless of one's thoughts on their sonics.

eddiel likes this.
  2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My first experience listening to a good audiophile system was the Matrix 801 series 2 at a dealer. The dealer had ordered them for a customer. He had already nicknamed them Robby the Robot.

Sneaky Pete and eddiel like this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah the early Matrix speakers weren't visually appealing to me either. I did like the Nautilus/S/Diamond designs. I have the 805S's. :)

Rolltide likes this.
  4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

A lot more production engineering and testing goes into these mass produced cheap products as they can't afford masses of returns. There was that phone that had to be withdrawn from the market. When it goes wrong it's a spectacular failure. Bespoke audiophile companies often have not tested their gear sufficiently or skimp on component quality over bling casework. Don't buy with your eyes. The flimsier but adequate built product may have had more spent on component quality and good design.

SteelyTom and sunspot42 like this.
  5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Mine was Nautilus 805's. If only I'd done something else that afternoon. Just think of all the money I'd still have!

art and jimbutsu like this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I do too, and I'll probably never part with them. You never forget your first love, after all!

eddiel likes this.
  7. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Sad to hear that. I'm a happy owner of a B&W 601 series 1 (bought them in 1996) and they are iron cast and sound damn well for the money. I don't expect such degree of build quality on new products.

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Everything but the 800 series has been made in China for a long time now, and are still excellent. The only potential for problem is if the new ownership decides its a waste of time to make big old-man speakers when they could be focusing on headphones and bluetooth speakers.

9. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I love how Matrix speakers looked, they had the look of real speakers to me, not a nicety to show to guests.

10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My old B&W speakers are my rear channel speakers on my surround system. Still Rock!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.