B&W Blues

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by lonelysea, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers Thread Starter

Well, the unthinkable (but inevitable) has finally occurred: My beloved, 20-year-old B&W 802 Matrix loudspeakers are giving up the ghost. Was listening to some quiet music the other night (Brian Eno's Ambient #1 Music For Airports, 2009 Japan SHM) and there was some undeniable distortion coming out of the upper bass driver on the right speaker. I removed said driver (see pic) and the cone appeared to be fine. Possibly/probably a voice coil issue. Sent the speaker off to Speaker Exchange for a rebuild.
    So, with no music from my main system for a couple weeks I've had the time to plot potential replacements for the old warhorses, should they continue to develop issues (which is likely, I guess). My setup is unusual in that I don't have a dedicated listening room (as illustrated in this thread), my speakers are 12 feet apart in a large living room and the components are in the next room. 30 foot runs of 12 gauge Transparent speaker cable to a newish Yamaha A-S2100 integrated amp. Years of tweaking have resulted in a setup that is very satisfactory for me - I'm nervous that new speakers won't best my old ones. Below are some of my potential choices for replacements, along with my concerns/comments. Suggestions and sympathies are appreciated!

Wilson Sabrina - Price is OK and I'm guessing they will match well with the Yammie's power output, but are they too small for the room? Dealer has told me they are meant for small spaces...
    Wilson Yvette - Bumping up against the limits of my budget. Require more power? Not as attractive as Sabrinas.
    B&W 803 D3 - Dealer says they're not as good sounding as either Wilson listed. Kind of ugly too, imo.
    ATC SCM40 (passive) - Maybe a lateral move, or worse, a step down?
    ATC SCM50PSLT - Will the Yamaha be up to the task? Is it worth getting the passive versions of these upper end ATC loudspeakers? Local dealer doesn't have demo models.
    Rockport Atria - Out of my budget, but I can dream, can't I?? No local dealer...

[​IMG]

2. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Each of the speakers you listed are quite high-end. I would suspect they all would reveal deficiencies in the Yamaha integrated amp (no offense to Yamaha lovers.). High end speakers really need high end components. Are you planning on upgrading the Yamaha at some point?

HiFi Guy, ZenMango, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  3. lonelysea

Eventually, but not any time soon. I agree with what you are saying, but also want something very good that I can keep for years and will support future upgrades. Does that make sense?

Manimal likes this.
  4. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I was under the impression that the Yamaha amp he owns would be considered "high end". It lists for $3500. I would hope that for that price I would be getting high end but what do I know I couldn't afford it!

sfoclt and Manimal like this.
  5. Matt Richardson

Perhaps the Yamaha does deliver high-end performance (I've never heard one). I just never seem to see Yamaha attached to any of these speakers whenever I see them in AXPONA, or pictures of folk's set ups here.

6. lonelysea

It's not a bad little amp. Sounds better than the Conrad Johnson separates it replaced. I just got back from Tokyo, and on the vinyl floor of Disk Union in Shinjuku they had a Yamaha A-S1100 powering older KEF monitors (using a Yamaha GT2000 turntable as a source!) and the sound was incredible! They were playing Rubber Soul. My kids couldn't believe it - they had never heard vinyl playback before and were mesmerized.

Vinny123, Helom, hi_watt and 4 others like this.
  7. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

B&W 803D3s (and they're waaay cooler looking than your present pair of B&W... JMO, of course ;-) )

IanL and lonelysea like this.
  8. lonelysea

If you say so....
    Next week I will be demoing the 803s and the Sabrinas side by side. My dealer (a Wilson booster) promises I will be "amazed" in terms of a comparison. We shall see.

Manimal likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Being a diehard Salk speaker fan I would suggest giving their speakers a look. They're sold direct from Salk with no dealers. But if you check on Audio Circle you might be able to arrange a listen if there is an owner in your area.

Salk Sound
    Audio Circle - Salk Signature Sound

SandAndGlass, lonelysea and Manimal like this.
  10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Can't they be rebuilt? Probably just needs a crossover rebuild - but I'm guessing. I mean there are folks that take old 70's JBLs, etc and refoam them and they are good to go - your drivers from the picture look perfect.

What am I saying? - I did that with my 77 Cornwalls. They are good for another 20 years.

SandAndGlass, sturgus, GyroSE and 2 others like this.
  11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I would think if the Yamaha would be so inferior to new speakers then there would never be an "all amps sound the same debate". Get some BA speakers and enjoy my brother!

12. Matt Richardson

Who said it was a bad amp?

13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I think it's the whole " don't get really nice speakers into you get a really nice amp thing". It is a really nice amp, especially if he says it's better than Conrad Johnson separates:)

14. Matt Richardson

At least I don't go off making suspicions about other members here who are only offering some friendly advise. Think about it.

15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

It's all good brothers:) peace

Matt Richardson likes this.
  16. Matt Richardson

Oh please, can't one make a friendly suggestion about making an improvement in an audio component without people taking offense? It just one man's opinion, that's all.

17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Your right..sorry:)

18. sfoclt

sfoclt Forum Resident

NOS300B, MiesDavis, Bubbamike and 3 others like this.
  19. Matt Richardson

Very good. Now you have my interest.

lonelysea and Manimal like this.
  20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I was just checking the thread while mowing the grass, now back to the grass that's a real drag ..

SandAndGlass and timind like this.
  21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Love Yamaha retro vibe in styling. Sweet looking equip.

lonelysea likes this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The below linked review from 6moons on the Yamaha A-S2100 is very positive. It looks like an excellent and well built integrated amp. Not sure about the power though as it does seem a bit low at 90 watts at 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.07% THD.

6moons audioreviews: Yamaha A-S2100

jusbe, MiesDavis, Manimal and 2 others like this.
  23. lonelysea

I'm holding out hope, but there are a number of things that can start to go on decades old speakers: crossovers, capacitors, cones, voice coils.... I don't want to live in fear of something else breaking.

24. lonelysea

The A-S2100 and the A-S3000 are pretty similar in terms of power, I think. The 2100 is rated at 160 watts "max", whatever that means. Some of these numbers seem arbitrary. Reviews of the amp state that Yamaha is being conservative in it's output figures.
    I'd also like to defend Matt R. - his input is exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm shooting too high in terms of choices. That being said, the ATC dealer in Seattle (who sounds like he knows his ****) said my amp would have no problem powering the ATC SCM50s - as long as I wasn't playing at concert hall-level volumes (I don't).

MiesDavis likes this.
  25. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

I have the B&W 804 D3's and they are fantastic. Love them. I agree with you in that the 803s are pretty fugly. :yikes:

That said, I would also look at the Paradigm Personas. Their entire line is fantastic. If I could do it over again, I might get the 5f's. Another one I might audition are the Legacy Audio Focus SE's which are pretty great too. :righton:

Sneaky Pete and lonelysea like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.