"Baby Driver" in theaters

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hightops, Jul 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Barty

William Barty Forum Resident

Saw this last night - it was fantastic. Absolutely awesome soundtrack - listening to it on Spotify right now.

Vidiot, BGLeduc and OldSoul like this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The soundtrack included two versions of "Harlem Shuffle," neither of which were the Rolling Stones.

When "Let's Go Away for a While" came on I thought, cool, I've never heard the High Llamas in a movie before... I forgot it was actually the Beach Boys... :doh:

DHamilton, Vidiot, forthlin and 4 others like this.
  3. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

That's funny..we did the exact same thing just now with a xmas fandango gift card!

Cool flick.

4. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

When that came on, I was practically in goosebumps. Given the small theatre I was in, I was fairly certain few others recognized it--but at that moment--for those who did, it was like being part of a secret club . . .

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

For me, it's Ronin.

6. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

There's one scene where the drumming on the music is perfectly in sync with machine guns firing, another where Baby makes a funky move with the car and the music is perfectly in sync! I saw it Saturday and I enjoyed it a lot, great summer movie.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife follows all the movie awards, including all the guilds and "tech" ones. Be cool to see this one get nominated for editing.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Director Edgar Wright reportedly made a music video some years ago that functioned as sort of a demo for Baby Driver, so what you're seeing was very deliberately planned, choreographed, staged, and edited.

PHILLYQ and alexpop like this.
  9. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

This article about the film's editor might get techy, but there's a couple of drctions related to how much was achieved on-set:

Cut to the Chase: Editing the Action on Set for 'Baby Driver'

Vidiot and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

One interesting thing I noticed watching the film is how many high pitched sounds are in the soundtrack when music isn't playing, underlining Baby's tinnitus condition.

Dudley Morris, Vidiot and OldSoul like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Not too techy for me, but then I'm a video editor. For some reason, I originally read that as "tetchy", and thought "That interview didn't seem bad tempered and irritable at all."

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just caught it tonight, and it's the best damned film I've seen all year. It's got action, the characters are compelling, the plot makes sense, and there's not a single wasted moment in the whole movie. Brilliant editing, fantastic cinematography by the great Bill Pope, and beautiful color throughout. A shoot-'em-up gangster picture with a heart. Highly recommended.

This is the music video Wright did, from which you can see a lot of the ideas that developed into Baby Driver:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Noel Fielding ( and Nick Frost ).
    Much preferred this to Baby Driver.

14. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess this is a slam dunk. I'm going tonight!

15. Anyone purchase the soundtrack CD? Looks like a great collection of songs, but I am interested to know how it's mastered before dropping a twenty.

I started a thread specific to the CD in Music, if you happen to own it and care to comment.

Baby Driver (Movie) Soundtrack CD

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I will personally refund your money if you hate it.

17. alexpop

it's good, but no QT in the script department.

DHamilton likes this.
  18. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Marvellous soundtrack. Middling to poor film. Needs to be seen in the cinema to properly appreciate that 'big sound'. High spots for me were the sequences to 'Neat Neat Neat' and 'Brighton Rock'. They were genuinely entertaining. Quite a lot was forgettable though. An average teen flick. Pretty much early on it established itself as a 'Who's going to get killed first?' type of film. I read somewhere that it had comic moments. I'm still waiting. I loved to know what the late great Barry Norman would have made of it.

DHamilton and hi_watt like this.
  19. Wife and I saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Finally a movie shot in Atlanta that is actually Atlanta in the movie! Some very city-specific things hidden in it as well - even the radio stations were accurate... Gotta love car chases set to "Neat Neat Neat" and "Brighton Rock".

Sondek and Vidiot like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

97% on Rotten Tomatoes right now, counting over 200 reviews, which is pretty astonishing...

Baby Driver on Rotten Tomatoes

BGLeduc likes this.
  21. I enjoyed it but the one plot point I have an issue with is with so many people killed, how does parole happen

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm not convinced he gets out at the end. Everything was B&W and soft and blooming, which to me I interpret as a fantasy. I think this is the ending he wishes will happen. It remains to be seen what Baby's ending will really be after prison.

bubba-ho-tep, drivingfrog and OldSoul like this.
  23. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

......and what happened to the elderly chap he put in the care-home with stolen money? The police would confiscate that and he'd be out on the street & homeless straight away. Nope, a very inaccurate ending.

Binni and alexpop like this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

He was very polite, so it was all okay. :)

Mazzy and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  25. alexpop

Way overrated.

DHamilton, mrjinks and Paper Wizard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.