Babyface Pro vs. standalone DACs for playback

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Atmospheric, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've noticed that quite a few folks here like RME products for vinyl archiving (A/D conversion).

I'd love to hear from folks who might have experience with the other end of the signal chain (D/A conversion). I'm strongly considering upgrading my audio recording interface, which does double duty as my primary system playback DAC, to an RME Babyface Pro. I've considered some standalone DACs from Teac, Cabridge Audio, and even some higher end ones. I'm wondering how the Babyface Pro compares to higher end standalone DACs for playback sound quality. This is for use with a speaker system, not headphones.

2. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

I’ve always used RME for A/D and D/A at my computer, love them for A/D. But, I wouldn’t put one on my main stereo system as I find them a little dry for that purpose.

I own a Babyface Pro by the way. I’d recommend an Ayre Codex on your music playback system, a little more expensive but a great bang for the buck.

Atmospheric likes this.
  3. Atmospheric

What may have gotten lost in my OP is that my recording system IS my playback system.

4. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

It's possible that the RME will improve both A/D and D/A for you. I know people buy the ADI 2 Pro as their playback DAC and not necessarily use it for it's A/D capabilities.

As I said I wouldn't buy RME if only looking improve the D/A portion of a system, that money is better spent elsewhere in my subjective opinion.

Atmospheric likes this.
  5. Atmospheric

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.