Babylon Berlin (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by beccabear67, Nov 26, 2017.

1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore. Thread Starter

On my shelf:
    Berlin Cabaret - Peter Jelavich
    Before The Deluge - Otto Friedrich
    Weimar Germany - Eric D. Weitz
    Berlin, The Twenties - Rainer Metzger & Christian Brandstatter
    The Seven Addictions And Five Professions Of Anita Berber - Mel Gordon
    Voluptuous Panic - Mel Gordon

Also, fiction from the time and place:
    The Artificial Silk Girl - Irmgard Keun
    and of course Christopher Isherwood :cool:

manicpopthrill likes this.
  2. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Thanks. I'm just about finished with the third book. Didn't think that much of the first one, it was a little too much like a Raymond Chandler book and seemingly less intrigue than the second and third books. Really like the third one so I will probably keep going.

3. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

He hasn't. You are confusing Volker Kutscher (the author of Babylon Berlin) with Philip Kerr (who passed away on March 23). :)

beccabear67 likes this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Found this series and started watching last week. I really like it so far. I'm up through episode #12. I skimmed a few posts earlier, but as I'm not done, I wanted to avoid spoilers, so stopped for now.

Luckless Pedestrian likes this.
  5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I watched the first 3 episodes last sunday on TV. They're making a big deal of this show here right now and I'm not sure yet if it can live up to the hype for me. But I enjoyed it well enough, especially the Charlotte Ritter character (Liv Lisa Fries).

I decided to record the coming episodes, since I just started reading the book and want to finish it first.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I'm rewatching it on TV with my family (watched it last winter already on my own) and wow, all the details. So many things you only get when you already know the two seasons, I'm tempted to read the books and then watching it a third time just to see what I've been missing. What an amazing show.

I understand your sentiment of not knowing what to make of it, though. At first watch, I wanted to stop after episode 2 and only the fantastic ending at the Moka Efti made me continue. After episode 5 or 6, I was absolutely addicted and watched the rest within a few days.

wolfram likes this.
  7. wolfram

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the show as well. I was just comparing my first impression to the enormous hype they made here before the TV airing. I should look at the show without this bias, I guess.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  8. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I catched the first three episodes by accident on Monday and I really liked what I saw. Interesting characters, good actors, nice scenery and an intriguing storyline. I'm planning to binge watch the rest of the show in the upcoming weeks.

And I couldn't care less whether the dance scene was historically correct. The vibe was perfect.

beccabear67 likes this.
  9. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

It was this scene that made me go 'woooooow' upon first watching. The moment I knew I had to finish the show.

lobo likes this.
  10. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Well, that was excellent!
    I binged that over three days. There are some really intense moments in the second half of the series.
    Anyone know if and when there will be a season two?

11. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Shooting starts next month, season three should be ready to watch in fall 2019.

DetroitDoomsayer likes this.
  12. If you consider 9 years as "just before"... ;)

13. wolfram

Season 2 has already been done. Around here they showed the first two seasons back to back (S2 starts on Thursday on German free TV). Each season has 8 episodes.

14. beccabear67

I've seen season two (with subtitles), so I know that's been done for awhile. I'm still hoping for a proper English dub option DVD release for Seasons one and two. Ideally we could have German with English subtitle option and dubbed option, sort of like they often have had for Japanese animation releases in America/U.K. I can't believe if there is a dubbed option that some cable specialty channel in America hasn't grabbed this. So much dire junk on endless seeming tv channels and they can't do something for a quality historical production like this. :mad:

I know broadcasters in Toronto have known this exists at least as long as I have. Season 1 DVD releases for Germany and France so far, I might have to settle for one of them for my region 2 player.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  15. beccabear67

Finally! An English language edition Series 1 & 2 dropping April 1st, hope they're not fooling...

Babylon Berlin

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Comic artist Jason Lutes wrapped-up a multi-issue slice-of-life saga called Berlin last year; a 20+ year effort to chronicle the culture shifts from the Weimar Republic to the 3rd Reich. Definitely worth looking into.

beccabear67 likes this.
  17. beccabear67

18. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I don't get it. The info on that page reads: "German with English subtitles." Also, on Netflix in NoAm, English dubs are available (but I preferred German w/ subs).

19. beccabear67

It would be nice to have an English dub as an extra, I don't know what the quality is like of one, haven't heard it, any bits on youtube? I did hear it was not good.

I apologize that I wasn't more specific, I hadn't seen English subtitles on any other edition before except a Russian one with subtitles that seemed to be the Russian subtitles run through google translate or something. I just stuck with the German, which knowing some Nederlandse I could get the basics most of the time.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Isn't it on Netflix in German with English subtitles? That's how I watched it.

21. beccabear67

It could be, I'm officially an old person now, I still have cable. The French and German DVDs have no English anything so a set with subtitles is worthwhile for me.

22. beccabear67

And the English subtitles are extremely well done! I was nervous that this Acorn series 1 & 2 set could be a big disaster but the large white lettering with dark outline is perfectly readable in every scene with enough time to read. I was able to follow the story much better than with the previous copy I had of just series 1. If all subtitled programs were done this well they'd be a lot more popular. I wonder if the Netflix subtitles are the same? I will report on the making of documentary extra when I get to it.

23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I finished this last night. What a riveting show! Can’t wait for season 3.

24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

That site is down just now, but you've made me curious, will that set be Region 1 DVD?

25. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Season 3 now on Netflix. Two episodes in and I’m enjoying it as much as the first two seasons.