Back catalogue releases related to McCartney's 2016 move back to Capitol - First releases announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by leeroy jenkins, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Glad to hear yours arrived! I've listened to my copy a couple of times now and love it. Enjoy!

sws2000 likes this.
  2. Yes Wild Life. Better than most of these records.

sws2000 and Darrin L. like this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Exclusive Colour Vinyl Bundle

This was out of stock awhile ago, but is apparently back in stock at this moment. Cheapest price you’ll find for the set. Use code WELCOME for, I think, 15% off. It’s about $205 US total...

4. jacden

jacden Senior Member

No, Wild Life is not a part of this campaign. In fact, the last time it was issued physically at all was in 1993 and that was CD.

Reader likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

;)

6. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Fortunately for you, Wild Life is readily available on eBay on vinyl for under $10 and on CD at around $14.

7. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Thanks, but I'm all set for now. I have a pretty beat-up early pressing and as well as a pristine Fame repress from the 80's. I would spring for a vinyl reissue and a deluxe CD/DVD set without hesitation though.

sws2000 and RAJ717 like this.
  8. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

I'd love to see a reissue of the "Backyard" album on vinyl.
    Or isn't it weird that Paul hasn't released a live album since 2009 and except for the jazzy "Bottom" blu-ray there is no Blu-Ray of a concert of Paul as solo artist out there. :(

9. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Paul's lack of official news and information regarding anything other than lame questions people submit to him is quite dumbfounding. I wounder who's manning the ship while Paul continues to tour the world? Family? Friends?

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I think it's his grandkids who are in charge. We get coloring pages, word searches, and questions about his favorite TV shows and foods. ;)

longdist01, Erchie, RAJ717 and 5 others like this.
  11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Nothing has changed at all for decades in regards to info released. Only difference is now as we get further into the age of the Internet and the demand for immediate news, Paul's people have not really adjusted. But in all fairness, the music industry as a whole is still behind in this regard. Everything is still a secret. In fact when I've been sent opinion polls from pm.com, I have always criticized the fact that fans are left to get their "real time" news from fan sites instead of Paul McCartney's official page, that in my opinion is very sad. Some artists are better than others but most still fail miserably at keeping fans informed of things going on right now

It really wouldn't take a lot to fix but it does not seem the will to change is there.

MaestroDavros and Hep Alien like this.
  12. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Anyone have any opinions on pipes of peace or tug of war 2015 us vinyl?
    I know pressing quality varies so much so before I buy I like to get information on any issues.
    I notice both have 1 vinyl and 2 vinyl options
    Both show 2015 but only the 2 lp versions show half speed mastering at Abbey Road.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  13. Tug of War is the remix, and sounds inferior to the original LP. However, the pressing quality of these discs is fantastic: flat, perfectly centered, quiet. My copies are not US vinyl, but we’re pressed in Germany, I believe by Optimal.

Also of note: it is obvious that the reissue went back to the original artwork elements and did not merely scan old albums to create the reissue artwork—for example, EMI (or Warner, Sony, or whoever) did this for the Lennon LP reissues and it was painfully obvious, with the LP’s looking washed out and even blurry. In McCartney’s case, the reissue artwork is crisp and clear, with vibrant colors, and even sharper than originals in some instances (for example, compare the reissue gatefold of McCartney II to the US original, or the reissue Tug of War inner sleeve photo to the original inner sleeve).

Paulwalrus likes this.
  14. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Wow
    This is great to hear.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  15. teag

teag Forum Resident

Why remix Tug?

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Back To The Egg Deluxe announcement by Easter?

dyeing eggs, coloring pages, etc...Arnie you might be on to something!

[​IMG]

;)

Hep Alien, jmxw and Beaneydave like this.
  17. Good question.

I think the answer is that the master tape went missing. Apparently, they found it after the remix had already been ordered (or even completed), but the remix was still used for the reissue CD and LP. The Super Deluxe Archive Edition box set contained the remix on one CD and the “blackface” mastering of the original mix on another CD. I think the “blackface” is the best mastering of the CD, even beating the black triangle which is mastered at too low a level, IMHO.

Anyway, there is a thread about it:

Tug of War Remix

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  18. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Also, wasn’t the album originally mastered digitally at a fairly low resolution? Necessitating a remix to get a 24/96 Master?

Same with POP but I guess Macca didn’t think that album deserved the same treatment.

19. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Where might one track down this "blackface" remaster or even the original "blackface" disc? I've never heard of it.

20. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The blackface disc is in the Deluxe book version of the Tug Of War Archive release, but it is not a remaster. It is my preferred digital version of the album.

21. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

So then is "blackface" just another way of saying original mix/master?

What's the black triangle version?

Mark

22. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I have the Deluxe edition, and yes, it's my favourite version too. I don't like the remix and the 93 CD uses too much noise reduction.

Billy Budapest and Paul H like this.
  23. popscene

popscene Senior Member

They refer to early CD versions/masterings, identified by the appearance of the disc itself.

The blackface is as shown here: Paul McCartney - Tug Of War

The black triangle is here: Paul McCartney - Tug Of War

24. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yes, this is the actual reason why they remixed Tug Of War -- the album was recorded on analogue tape but mixed and mastered at 16/44, so in order to offer a high-res download they remixed it. There are a few details about the process in the book, and it was discussed in other interviews when the Archive version was released in 2015. It should be noted that not everyone hates the remix, although that certainly seems to be the majority opinion around here. I think it's maybe a bit louder than it needed to be, but I don't mind the remix itself at all -- and there are a few songs that I think they actually improved.
    Unfortunately not. That album (imo) actually could have used a remix more than Tug.

Lewisboogie, FJFP, Hep Alien and 6 others like this.
  25. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

I might be wrong about this, but I’ve had the impression that the original master for POP was not digitally limited to 16/44. All the marketing and press at the time singled out TOW as having this problem/thus needing the remix.

There was a few years between these albums so it’s not a crazy thought that a different mastering process/equipment was used. Do the golden eared here hear the 24/96 unlimited downloads of POP from 2015 as being uprezzed from CDQ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.