Back catalogue releases related to McCartney's 2016 move back to Capitol - First releases announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by leeroy jenkins, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Actually, there was 19 months between these albums releases. [April 1982 - October 1983].

But that was a crucial time in Digital Music technology....

Hep Alien and Mr. Explorer like this.
  2. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Thanks, I knew off the top of my head that it was more than 1 year but didn’t know how much more

3. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

This mean he'll eventually reissue Press To Play as well, now that he's back on Capitol? It would be nice to have the album and various bonus tracks and B sides all in one place. Plus possibly improved (consistent) sound.

Hep Alien, longdist01 and Paul H like this.
  4. The disc actually has a black face on it. It is the first Capitol Japan-for-U.S. disc, and was also used for the harder to find Columbia U.S. disc.

The black triangle has a sideways black triangle on the face and was the first Japanese CD release.

Oops, just saw this was explained above.

Mark Wilson and Mr. Explorer like this.
  5. Do you think all that talk about the master tape going missing was just hogwash?

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes. And wasn't Geoff Emerick involved in telling that story? No wonder it doesn't hold water.

MaestroDavros and Mr. Explorer like this.
  7. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

PoP as in Plastic Ono Paul?

8. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Pipes of Peace

9. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I like the original TOW mix better. My Japanese Nautilus vinyl pressing from 82 blows it away. The low level resolution is spectacular, especially on the title song. When the orchestra hits the low note after “in years to come” you can feel it even though it’s not loud. Not so in the remix.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  10. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

No! They even made a movie about it.
    [​IMG]

Shak Cohen, Yovra, Hep Alien and 6 others like this.
  11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Paul sang "Take it Away" and he meant "my masters, that is"

12. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

A little late to the party...

It seems to be a consensus that those coloured pressings are very good, better than the originals. Can I assume that the black vinyl pressings are good as well? Have anybody heard those?

13. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I have the 8 black LP's issued so far, and my copies are all wonderful. Flat, centered and dead silent except for a few minor tics at the end of side two of Speed Of Sound which I can only really hear at high volume. I also really love the remastering. Very balanced and natural sounding. I feel no need to return to my original pressings (a mixture of Scandinavian, German and Dutch copies), so they're stored away now except for Tug Of War, which is still essential because the new one is remixed.

Mr. Explorer and Goggen like this.
  14. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

For anyone interested - HMV are currently selling most of the single disc Capitol reissues for £5.99.

15. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

16. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

dasacco likes this.
  17. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Just realized after all this time you said Paul not band!

18. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the original batch of 8 colored vinyl lps is/are getting scarce? If they are scarce, it would seem like a good idea to get the new batch of 4 lps as soon as they come out.

19. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

Has there been any confirmation on how many of these Archives colored vinyl are being pressed?

I thought the last round someone mentioned 500...that seems so low.

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

May ask about this 2017 RAM? Is it just a reissue of the 2012 remaster ? A brand-new master ? Who’s responsible for these ?

21. Reissue of 2012 remaster on 180g vinyl, pressed at Optimal. It appears they used the hi-res digital masters as the source for the vinyl. Artwork is impeccable—they have obviously gone back to the original elements (ie, they are not based on photos of the original releases’ artwork, as is too often done with reissues).

22. Arnold Grove

Ram On! Oh, I mean Right On!

;)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  23. bward

bward Senior Member

This is the new release of the earlier remaster on vinyl.
    I didn't get the two album set. This is the single album version released on Capitol here in the States.

24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

So -if one were to find the 2012 pressing for cheap on Amazon.de , should one just go for that or is there any point at getting the 2017 at over twice the price?

25. Arnold Grove

The bonus LP from 2012 is quite excellent. So unless you are a collector of colored vinyl, I'd favor the 2012 version of Ram.

Flaming Torch and John Bliss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.