Back in the (Klipsch) saddle

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sberger, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

A few years ago I sold my early pair of Klispch Cornwalls. They'd been updated with Crites crossovers, and they sounded great. But I convinced myself that my room was too small to get the most out of them, so I decided to go to various smaller speakers and sold them. Shortly thereafter, I regretted it. I normally never regret selling anything, but those I did. Over the last year I would scan Craigslist for the slim possibility of finding a pair locally, but to no avail. Then this week, a pair of Cornwall II's became available about 10 minutes from my home. In beautiful shape. For a very decent price. Got in touch with the seller, but he had somebody coming to see them so I was second in line. I figured that was that. I mean, if somebody was going to see them, they knew about them, and I was probably SOL. No biggie. I mean, not having to convince my wife that I wanted to have these behemoths in her living room, again, was not a bad thing.

I continued to check CL over the next couple of days, and when the listing remained I got back into touch with the seller and he informed that the first buyer had flaked on him, and that the CW's were still available. I made my move, quickly getting the approval of my wife(yes, she is an amazing woman) and picked them up last night.

These date from 1987. The seller was the second owner, having purchased them about 10 years ago. He thinks at that time they may have been modified, but he's not sure. I haven't opened them up, and I don't plan to. They sound amazing. No roll off that I can detect which would indicate drifting caps. I'm currently driving them with a McIntosh 1700 receiver but plan on using a pair of Dynaco MKIII mono blocks that are having some basic repair work done to them. I should have them back next week. I think that will be a terrific match.

So there you have it. The story of being able to get a second chance. I don't plan on ever selling these.

[​IMG]

2. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

You can compromise with your very understanding (awesome) wife. Get some custom glass tops with some cork or other fabric underneath and let her put knickknacks (no plants) on top. It's funny, I bought my Quartets from a guy whose wife just wanted them gone... I actually felt sorry for the guy, for about 3 minutes!

Nice story, start with some new tubes but definitely find some genuine NOS. They'll last much longer and you cannot beat the sound/musicality.

Congrats,

Steve

Manimal, SandAndGlass and sberger like this.
  3. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Very nice - I always wondered why you got rid of them in the first place - glad to know you have them back. Nothing like a big a ())* speaker.

Those look super nice.

4. sberger

My wife has many interests. Collecting and displaying knickknacks isn't one of them. But that did give her a good laugh:D

I have some Gold Lion reissue KT88's, but also some GE NOS to go in the MKIII's.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. sberger

Just not thinking clearly when I sold them. Maybe just wanted to try something new also. Chalk it up to learning on the job.

They are great looking. The guy I bought them from really babied them.

rebellovw likes this.
  6. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

Art ???

7. sberger

Closer.

8. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Congrats. Proud Cornie II w/Crites owner myself. Dynaco MKIII's too. Superb combination. Will never sell either. No wife anymore so no need worry about WAF.

cadeallaw, sberger and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Lessons learned!!!

I had legacy Altec's which I lost for various reasons, along the way.

Like you, life has shown one of those rare kindnesses and rewarded me with another pair. Come hell or high water, these will never leave me, until it's my time to check out!

I know your feeling! Right On Brother!!!

I have some cabinet customized commercial vintage La Scala's, I had glass tops made for them.

Manimal and sberger like this.
  10. sberger

Cool! Tel me more about the MKIII with the Cornies. What preamp are you using?

11. libertycaps

The stock PAS3 pre. The phono stage upgraded with NOS Telefunkens and line-out modified for my sub. Tone controls auto by-pass for pure unadulterated signal at high noon. Pat in Camas, WA did all the work for me. Look him up on FB. Fun page.

sberger likes this.
  12. sberger

Had a fully modded PAS myself. Got rid of it too. I have a nice tube pre from Decware, but if I find a nice PAS may jump on it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I really like Decware, have two of their amps that I use on the A7's, along with other tube amps. Considering ordering a Decware tube preamp.

sberger likes this.
  14. libertycaps

Yep. Nothing like the pride of ownership of having the original gangster gear! :righton:

sberger likes this.
  15. libertycaps

[​IMG]
    Truth be told, if i had to choose between my Cornie II's and my Chorus II's, i'd choose the Chorus II's. They handle anything i throw at them and only crave more. "Room filling" doesn't even begin to describe 'em.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    sberger likes this.
  16. sberger

Nice!

It's not for a speaker to be room filling in my room. Hell, KLH Model Six's could do it. But the Cornwalls bring it up several levels, and I I guess I didn't realize how significantly more impactful the sound was to me until I sold them and went without for a couple of years. One day I'd love to hear some Chrous', LaScala's, & Khorns, especially with proper tube gear.

libertycaps and rebellovw like this.
  17. libertycaps

KHorns def on the wish list. I just don't have the space for them right now....

18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

YES! Can we marry her?:p
    Lovely picture, tell her that in the opinion of this guy who is always ranting that no normal person likes how speakers look...those actually look quite nice there!

But...can you more the right channel a few inches farther from the fireplace, so they are symmetric please? ;)

And, are you going to update these? Besides the crossovers, I'd also suggest internal bracing, stuffing, anti vibration compound (I *assume* there is not much of any of this inside). And maybe cover the horns with compound as well.

And and, I gotta ask out of nosiness, how much were they?

19. sberger

I will relay the nice words to my wife. Thanks.

I'm actually playing with placement quite a bit. They sound good anywhere, but it's fun to slide them around a bit. The previous owner built his own risers with tiny pieces of carpet on them so moving them around on my wood floor is simple.

Not planning on doing a thing to them, at least in the present. They sound amazing. The previous owner thought that the person he bought them from 10 years ago might have done some things to them, but wasn't sure. I have no interest in opening them up to find out, at least at this time. Typically drifting caps produce some roll off on the highs. These don't sound like that all(and having been a fan of the East Coast sound from AR, KLH I know roll off when I hear it). They just sound right. At least to me.

Asking price was $750, and that's what I paid.

head_unit and libertycaps like this.
  20. libertycaps

$750 in today's market is a killer buy, esp. if they've been Crites-ed. :righton:
    I paid $600 for my stock pair waaaaaay back in 2003. OG cane fronts still in VG+ shape. I wouldn't let them go for less than 1.5K now (not that i'm selling, mind) as they've been completely upgraded (woofs/tweets/XO'ers) save the horns.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    sberger likes this.
  21. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I picked mine up for 750 as well - about 6 years ago. Below is when I picked them up from craigslist seller.

libertycaps and sberger like this.
  22. sberger

The best thing about it was that they were a few minutes from where I live. Local sales are the only way I buy any gear these days.

libertycaps likes this.
  23. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I love this!

cadeallaw, sberger and rebellovw like this.
  24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yep - I lived in Alameda at the time (town I was born in) and one day - saw on Craigslist - Cornwalls (Alameda)

sberger likes this.
  25. sberger

Before my last pair of Cornwalls I had a pair of Fortes that I bought from a guy in Alameda. And my wife was living there when we first started dating and we would do Meals On Wheels there every weekend. Ah, memories.

rebellovw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.