Back-of-couch Bass Tap

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jupiterboy, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue Thread Starter

In considering various ways to help out my odd room, it occurred to me that one way to treat the wall behind the couch would be to build a bass trap the size of the back of the couch, adding insulating material and or a membrane, and possibly hanging it from small hooks.

I mention this because I have a window behind one side of the couch, and I kept thinking about ways to treat the area—under and beside the window, etc.

Seems like this could work. I'm kind of looking for formulas for depth, type of material, type of membrane, etc. Also, any links to others who have done this sort of thing.

2. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

That will work. Dont cover the back of the trap. A frame is fine. Why stop at one? Make a few. More the better. If you make them thick enough, say 7 0r 8 inchs you should use the pink fluffy stuff, which means it will be cheaper and better performing. Dont forget the back corners, whats going on there? Where two corners meet will give you maximum absorbtion.

3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue Thread Starter

The corners are difficult to describe, in that the amount of flat wall surface is minimal. I am forced to consider hanging 6" traps from the ceiling in these areas, as the windows almost meeting in one corner and the other corner being more part of a longer wall with a small 10" wall intruding into the room where the ceiling changes height, present certain challenges.

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Anything you can do will help. Just dont ignore it. 6db for free where to corners meet.

5. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

[​IMG]

My panels covered in genuine 1970s fabric.

It was the best thing I ever did as it transformed the sound beyond measure :)

jupiterboy likes this.
  6. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I have real traps behind my couch in my home theater room.

John K.

7. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Use Roxul "Safe and Sound" insulation. Best stuff out there.

8. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

I have a GIK soffit bass trap behind our large sofa. It has a subtle but worthwhile effect, tempered by frequent threats of divorce....

jupiterboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.