Back to Big Lots for $3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JamieC, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

It's been at least a year since I dropped in to any BL, so I do believe it's time to pop in and take a peek. Hopefully, I will find an exception to what seems to be the unfortunate current rule of nada.

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I can't remember the last time I found anything worth a dang at any of the BL I've been around.

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

I've seen a lot of good stuff at Big Lots. Just nothing I need or haven't got(I have hundreds of discs and sets still sealed). Ollies has had several nice sets for cheap, including a bunch of WWE sets. I got a Spencer Tracy/ Katherine Hepburn box, a Doris Day box, a Ronald Reagan set(he was usually a second banana), and a set of SGT Bilko.

4. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

5. JamieC

I thought I had left this thread behind. There are still things to be had. Just not a lot of what I am looking for. For example the had the first twelve seasons of Two And A Half Men for 8 bucks along with sets on Chuck, One Tree Hill, Nip/Tuck and some others. I did pick up LOTR Return Of The King on Blu-ray Mainly for the bonus material for five.

I just finished reading this thread again from the start. You can kind of track the flow of various companies DVDs being purged from stock by what was available at Big Lots. Warner, Universal, Columbia, MGM, and Fox all appeared. Multiple times in some cases. They do not have catalog anymore on these DVDs.

My Blu Ray collection will never be this large. I have no reason to upgrade on 90% of the DVDs I own. I have hundreds of classic films SS in piles on the shelf. And that's just single DVD cases(multiple films in some cases). Then there are the box sets. Big Lots got me started collecting season sets of Criminal Minds, Law and Order SVU and CI, JAG, NCIS, and all three CSI shows. I swear to God I could be my own damn network!

See you in the season xx box set of Hoarders!

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

trust me my friend...you are not alone!

7. Michael

8. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

So I just bought a few $3 movies and a few seasons of Two And A Half Men (they were on sale for $7).

I must ask, is this product just being phased out by the studios? All of the slipcases have the bar codes slashed (including the $3 movies).

Some of the TAAHM discs have like a cloudy look on the bottom part of the disc but they seem to play well, is this normal?

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I haven't gone back to Big Lots in ages as their DVD selection was pretty lackluster the last several times I went. I'm not sure there are that many movies left out there that I need to own anyway. Maybe I'll swing by and check today for ol' times sake. *sniffle* Oh, Big Lots, thanks for the memories!

10. JamieC

Slashing the bar code is the equivalent of a cut out drill hole. As I stated earlier, I believe this is the home video divisions cutting out, deleting, and dumping their stock.

heatherly likes this.
  11. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

You can say that again! Some call it an obsession, some a sickness. Maybe something in-between.....

Michael likes this.
  12. Michael

yea, an Obsickness...but, there is a cure...keep getting more!

13. Michael

yea right through the case and artwork! things like that use to drive me nuts...no longer.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  14. Michael

yes dry as a bone down here as well...

15. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Not From Big Lots, but from "¢99 Only" that's in the same parking lots as my Big Lots.

I got Scrubs Season 1,2,3 and 6 (no 4 and 5) DVD sets for $1.29. Also Lost Season 4 Bluray for $1.29.

They had Home Improvement Season 1 and Golden Girls Season 5.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: They had multiple copies of each, and a customer said he saw other TV sets at another location. So check your ¢99 Only stores for these $1.29 DVDs.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  16. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

17. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

One of my local Dollar Tree stores has a best of Rosanne set and I think various seasons of the Sarah Silverman Show for a buck.

I did buy 3 Nicholas Cage movies for 2 bucks, shame one of them was Bad Lieutenant as that movie does not deserve to be in the $1 bin, IMO.

18. Michael

are there still good DVD pickings? Haven't check in quite a bit.

19. JamieC

I still find one or two now and then. And the box sets have still showed up over the last year. I picked up the whole run of Lois And Clark for between 6 and 8 bucks a season. My problem is my Big Lots closed and the others I don't get by the others as often.

20. Michael

thanks Jamie...gotta check our local store...nothing will ever beat the WB blowout of a few years back!

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I picked up some season of The Simpson a few months ago. Still interesting things cropping up at times.

22. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I didn't know Big Lots still existed. The last time I saw one was probably '08/9.

23. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

There's one up the street from the Drive-In in PA I visit most weekends, and I often stop in to get a cheap
    bottle of water or energy drink, and check out the DVD/Blu section. A lot of good stuff cheap...I've grabbed
    fistfuls of Well Go USA titles for chump change.

24. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I have dozens of really nice titles that I have acquired from Big Lots in the last 2 years. I discovered their bargain bin a bit late but I made up for lost time quickly. A good chunk of the titles I have purchased were all $3.00 and sometimes $1.88 .

I also bought more than a few of their $5.00 titles as well.

One really cool gem that I found a few months back was the Batman Dark Knight Trilogy Box set...all three movies w/ bonus stuff for $7.00!

I also found a special 2- CD version of Bogart's Treasure of the Sierra Madre for $5.00!

Sadly, those were the last two cool deals that I've found. The last couple times I've stopped in, it's been just the dregs from previous shelf stocks. It look like the new CEO of Big Lots has decided to turn it into a supermarket.
    More shelves of food and less shelves of the traditional overstock and close out items.

Oh well. It certainly was great while it lasted.

billdcat likes this.
  25. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

Are you guys just referring to DVD's or actual Blu rays???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.