Backing up SACDs now possible..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by yamfox, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainspainplain

rainspainplain Forum Resident

I don't think this is legal but I'm just going to ask. If I own a SACD, can I download someone's rip of it legally? The only reason I am thinking I can is because I thought you could download video game ROMs if you own the original game. Maybe that's wrong though.

2. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident Thread Starter

Legally: not clear
    Morally: It's absolutely OK.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I did a test with EW&F "Gratitude". The entire DSD program is 5.27GB. SACD-Ripper creates two files on my USB drive. I don't believe it's one for the stereo program and the other for the 5.1 program.

Right now, I'm not confident of a way to combine these two ISOs into one file. I played around with ImgBurn, but I'm not sure if it's doing it correctly, and I'd have to waste a DL blank to test. I also tried some trial software, but they either didn't handle a file that big, or were too confusing.

Suggestions for combining two ISOs are welcome!

4. yamfox

You have to use UltraISO

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I tried the trial version, but it won't take a file this big. Not sure if I want to drop $30 on the full version.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I've no idea how many times Sony Music used DL, as they essentially produced all their stuff in house. I was more concerned with M-ch hybrids where the challenge was to adjust the DST controls in order to get both the 2-ch and M-ch programs within the 4.7 GB limit. I did take a quick look at an old SACD catalog from Sony Europe, but none of the titles leaped out at me. Of course, that is not to say that many classical titles would not also exceed the 4 GB FAT32 limit, even though they may not have pushed the DST limits.

7. yamfox

I'm sorry, but in this case you may want to consult "BIg Trucker TORRENce T."
    Otherwise, I know how to join ISOs in Linux, if you want that info.

8. I've been quietly following this thread for about a week now...looks like an audiophile cottage industry's been created by these developments!!!:winkgrin::wave:

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Going back to DL DVD-R, does anyone know how such a disc is burned?

Why the question? The two layers in a DL SACD are cut so that the transition can happen quickly with the disc still spinning in the same direction. So, layer 1 goes center to edge, transitions, and then plays edge to center.

Can a DL DVD burner create such a disc?

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

ImgBurn has the option to burn ISOs with a seamless layer break. I might fool around with it this weekend.

11. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Correct, but the player doesn't read the ISO files, the ISO image is burned to a DVD-R which the player reads as a normal disc.

ISOs are basically just images with the disc structure in tact. You could have an ISO of a CD, DVD or Blu-ray, and once you burn that ISO to disc, the player sees it just like it would the original.

13. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thanks Sam for the clarification, hopefully I'll get burning soon :)

14. yamfox

I attempted to use Super Author to make a disk despite not having a compatible player available at the moment. If SamS or anyone else with a compatible player would see if this disk produces sound, I'd be grateful...
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wa22g2f87mj4f8k

15. dbarrade

dbarrade New Member

Has anyone succesfully got a multi channel disk to play on a new PS3... by any means... obviously burning the .ISO doesn't work?

Is the multi channel .DSF file option really multi channel as I keep reading that .DSF and a DSD Disks are only Stereo?

If I was to try and create a Multi Channel disk would I be best to take the DSDIFF files and then use "something" to convert them to multi channel PCM and then possibly burn to a AVCHD with a blank video track as hopefully 5.1 172.4KHz PCM?

Someone please help, my old 60GB PS3 has died, but I have temporary access to a friends, and I now have a bunch of Coasters that were extremely expensive and hard to find, I really want them to work on my new PS3 as I have already bought it and don't want to have to buy multiple players for a handful of multi channel disks.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I will try this a bit later, missed your post initially.

I don't know of anyway you'll be able to play a multichannel backup on any PS3. Yes, I guess you could use something to convert to PCM and author as a Blu-ray/AVCHD, but you would be headed down a slippery slope.

The easiest way to back up is just convert to ISO, burn, and play on a compatible (not PS3) player.

In other news, I can confirm that HJSplit will join two ISOs that result from those dual layer SACDs that are >4GB.

http://www.hjsplit.org/

17. chriss71

chriss71 Active Member

In my country (Austria) it is legal, for backup reasons to make a copy! :cheers:

18. yamfox

And that's where they make all the SACDs too, are there a lot over there?

19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

SamS,

Just to be clear, you get the .iso from a PS3 with the suitable firmware and the hacking software, then you burn this to DVD-R for playing in an Oppo or similar player that ignores PSP. Does the hacking software also give you access to the DSD or DST audio files on the SACD that can then be played from hard-disk using Korg's software, for example? You mentioned SuperAuthor, etc. earlier in the thread, just wondering if my feeble brain is keeping all the pieces straight.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Correct.

Yes. When you insert the disc, you are given the option to rip the stereo and/or multi-channel tracks to .DST or DSDFF (or ISO). Once you have those, you can compile, transcode, or whatever via SuperAuthor, Audiogate, etc. There is also a homemade program that allows you to take the resulting ISO, then extract the DFF files, it's called Scarletbook.

You got it!

Here is the thread where a lot of the testing/development is occurring: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/36026-SACD-DFF-file-extraction-backups

21. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Cool! Congratulations, now when are you going to send us those pre-paid shippers so we can send all our discs to you for back-up and transfer to hard-disk?????????

It's not a lot to ask, is it!?!?!?

:winkgrin:

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

;)

I haven't done any DSD to PCM conversions, yet. I'm sticking with ISOs for the time being. I'd like to figure out some way to play back 5.1 24/176.4 PCM (or FLAC) files via a networked device. Then I'll get more serious about my backups.

23. Just to give people an idea of what is possible, SACD-Ripper supports the following output formats:

2ch DSDIFF (DSD)
    2ch DSDIFF (DST) (if already DST encoded)
    2ch DSF (DSD)
    mch DSDIFF (DSD)
    mch DSDIFF (DST)
    mch DSF (DSD)
    ISO (due to the 4GB FAT32 size limit on the PS3, files will be split when larger)

24. Just came across this new information, but good news for those who have the older, fat PS3's but upgraded to the most recent firmware. Before it was impossible to downgrade the firmware back to 3.55, but a hardware mod (involving a little soldering and a mod chip) can enable the firmware to be rolled back. The Nand mod is something called "infectus" and plenty of information about it can be had via Google.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.