Backing up Windows Music File vs iTunes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Price.pittsburgh, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,

I realize my music file on my desktop is all of my music that's also in iTunes, but without iTunes software. So does it matter which one I backup? Should I backup both?

2. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

You should back up the whole iTunes folder that's on your computer (likely stored in "Music").

That way you have a back up of all the songs, plus the library file from iTunes with your playlists and play counts in it.

3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well, depends what you mean. I understand you to mean that for every album, there are two folders with the same music: one on your desktop, and one in the iTunes folder.

If so, that is overkill. You should back up to an external drive, then delete the ones on your desktop (so many files on the desktop slow things down at least a bit is my understanding). Back up the whole "iTunes" folder which will then also back up the files that run the library.

Are you on Mac or PC

4. Price.pittsburgh

I'm PC, Windows Vista.

When I go to music I can click on just the word music and see a list of all the artists. Same with my iTunes folder. So are you saying that when I upload music to iTunes, it is automatically saving it separately somewhere else? I was thinking that maybe the music that's in the music folder was just another way of showing what's in my iTunes, not double storage.

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

iTunes --> Preferences --> Advanced --> "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library"
    controls if iTunes makes extra copies. (The details may vary on a PC and if your iTunes version is different"
    If you have .mp3 or whatever files in iTunes media folder, then they are duplicates of what is on your desktop.

Post some screen shots and we can be more sure.

And, too much stuff on your desktop slows the system down --> that stuff should be put in another folder somewhere.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  6. Price.pittsburgh

If I delete my music file from my desktop, will it delete the contents of my iTunes?

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Right click one of the files in iTunes and select Get Info. Select the 'file' tab and look to see if it indicates that the file is linked to the file on your desktop. If you delete it, iTunes may automatically find it in your Trash. Then if you are like me, when you empty the trash you won't realize that iTunes can no longer find it. :( .

The file on your desktop might be a copy of your file which also may be in your iTunes directory . Check it to make sure. I would suggest that you keep everything in your iTunes directory; that should make it easier for you to find the files in the future.

8. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Personally I wouldn't trust any program for backup of data. Good file organization done manually can not be beat, along with a consistent tagging process. Makes back ups and ease of use a cinch in any media player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.