Backstrom on Fox

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lonson, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I enjoyed the premier. Anyone else catch this? Might be a fun series.

[​IMG]

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Ahhh , we coulda got Schrute Farms !

missed the premier , will catch it on-demand

Mr. H likes this.
  3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I watched the first 1/2 hour in disbelief, then I realized it was a comedy and enjoyed the 2nd half more.

4. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I liked it. My DVR's set to record it next week...

5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I hope the next episode is better....

lbangs and forthlin like this.
  6. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

it will probably be cancelled after the first season like the Finder was! Fox really need to invest time in shows rather than cancelling them!

audiomixer likes this.
  7. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

The exposition was done awkwardly.
    Hopefully with that out of the way the show can find its rhythm.

Mr. H likes this.
  8. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I like the premise, but agree that the execution was a bit choppy, maybe even trying a bit too hard in the first ep.

Elements of "House" and even "Columbo". Definitely will give it a chance.

Dennis Haysbert plays a good part too.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i liked the girl...'young nymphomaniac".

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I wasn't impressed, but I'll give it a few more episodes. Seems like the Backstrom character is just a sloppy Dwight Schrute. Nothing wrong with that. But I get bored pretty quickly of the standard cop show with a case of the week and a little back-story doled out slowly each episode. Just not my thing unless I find the leads super compelling.

She's cute. She had a fun part on Showtime's "House Of Lies" last season.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't remember her...........remind me, please.

12. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

watched whole show I will not watch another episode ,lame dark looking ,lead is like a poor version of House MD without the wit

13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

My wife made the remark "This guy would be Dwight Schrute's hero." :laugh:

14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Re: Genevieve Angelson

She was "Caitlin" during season 3. She was one of the new junior analysts working at Kann Associates. Doug (the square one) became enamored with her and wanted to leave his wife/gf for her, but she turned out to just be using Doug the whole time.

15. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Pretty rough first episode, I will watch a few more. I like the concept, maybe some improved writing would make the necessary difference?

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:targettiphat:

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

House wannabe without the wit. Fail.

bopdd and dlokazip like this.
  18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I generally agree with your assessment. I liked the premise, but didn't think it was well executed - and sometimes inconsistent. And in the 'game of chess with a friend' scene I found it totally unbelievable that the "hot French chick" was sexually attracted to Backstrom. At one point in time I would have believed that almost of the characters - Backstrom, especially: not exactly a lovable rogue - are too unlikable to gain a critical mass of viewers - but that type of reasoning may not apply these days. Hopefully the series can be fine tuned, but I'm not particularly interested in tuning in and watching another 'House' character.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  19. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I think it has promise. I'll give it another shot.

20. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I watched the first episode, and it's basically House. Dwight Shrute is the slovenly misanthropic Sherlock narrating flashbacks of the disease/crime; there's a Cuddy for conflict/URST (actually this character is much younger and idealistic and so amalgamates both the Cuddy and Cameron characters); there's a foreign pretty boy that hangs around (British dude replacing the Strayan dude); and a medico who plays his conscience (Indian doctor replacing Wilson).

Still, I like Dwight, so I'll give it a chance.

--Geoff

21. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I did not like it as much as I thought I would, But will give it a little time to see if it finds its footing. As others have said, not enough wit to make you even tolerate the obnoxious character. I think the Dwight actor has the ability to pull it off, they just need better writing.

22. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I'll just say, it has to be, although, I won't know.

23. I also thought "House as a detective only the writing isn't as good". I spotted a Cowichan indian sweater on the victim and sure enough, in the next scene Backstrom is walking down East Hastings in Vancouver, which is usually what "Portland" actually is in TV land. They are both rainy places with mountains nearby.

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Well, since House is really just Sherlock Holmes in new clothing, there's little original that Barnstrom is "ripping off."

The real House sequel imo is Black Box. And it's decent.

25. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I'll state right up front that I was looking forward to it. The promos looked good. If I was really generous, I would call the premiere mediocre. It was pretty bad actually. However, I still like the concept okay and will give it a few weeks to improve and grow on me. I do not ride shows out anymore though, so it needs to get better quick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.