Bad Company: Deluxe Editions of Run With The Pack, Burnin' Sky & Desolation Angels?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

Being a big fan of Bad Company I was very pleased when earlier this year they released Deluxe Editions of the S/T debut album and Straight Shooter. They both included a newly remastered CD of the original album plus a second disc of alternate takes, demos and a couple of B-sides. I believe the majority of material on the second discs were newly remixed from the multi-tracks.

This got me wandering if they are going to do the same with the rest of the Bad Company catalogue at some point. I would certainly class Run With The Pack as being as good as the first two albums. Desolation Angels is also another favourite of mine. I'm sure there is plenty of bonus material that they could use for a second disc on a reissue of both of these albums. They were (and still are) a fantastic band.

Has anyone heard any news regarding the next instalment of reissues (if they are happening at all)? I've done a search on the web but can't find much at all, apart from other people asking the same question as me.

ccbarr likes this.
  2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

No, but like you I hope they are in the pipeline.

driverdrummer likes this.
  3. boots

boots Chokma!

When Audio Fidelity Did Straight shooter I begged Marshal to do Run with the Pack, I was told no decent tapes existed. It's a shame such great music isn't better cared for.

sound chaser likes this.
  4. Andrew Smith

Even if the first generation flat master was beyond repair I would've thought that there would be some sort of second or third generation back-up master? Although it's a lot better to remaster from the original flat 2-track mix master, surly a previously EQd master should still exist? I find it hard to believe that no form of studio tapes exist at all for this album.

If this is the case I agree 100% that they should've been better cared for by the record company.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    sound chaser likes this.
  5. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

Personally, I don't think they could make a decent profit on them as they were not big sellers like the first two. I'd love to have them though.

sound chaser and kevin5brown like this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I thought they were all going to come out eventually but don't have any definitive info to share....

7. Andrew Smith

Where did you read or hear that?

I'm looking forward to Deluxe Editions of Run With The Pack, Burnin' Sky and Desolation Angels. They did a great job with the first two albums.

Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up too much. :cry:

8. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Their first four albums are splendid.

driverdrummer likes this.
  9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

There are several amazing sounding cds of Bad Company and Straight Shooter. 10 From 6 is great too! I'd buy deluxe editions up to Rough Diamonds.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Bad Company had some great sounding albums that's for sure.

Joti Cover likes this.
  11. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I emailed Dr. Rhino after the first two deluxes came out and was told there were no plans to do the other albums

12. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Bummer! They did a pretty nice job with the 1st two.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's too bad. I do remember some noise here years ago that RWTP was coming, but sadly it never panned out. If they couldn't get suitable tapes for that one, I'd sure be happy if they did Burnin' Sky or Desolation Angels instead.

Jeff Minn and Quark1134 like this.
  14. Andrew Smith

No 2nd or 3rd generation copy of the flat master, or even a previously EQd master? I find it hard to believe that no studio tapes exist at all of this album.

It was remastered in 2010 for the Japanese Bad Co. reissue series. The remastering was done by Isao Kikuchi at Warner Music Mastering. I have it this edition, as well as Desolation Angels from this series as well. This reissue of Run With The Pack must've been remastered from some form of tape source.

TGH7 and driverdrummer like this.
  15. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

I remember buying Desolation Angels when it first came out and all the reviewers were bashing it saying it was weak and full of fluff. Hah, so many good songs and so many hits, what a bunch of boo hoos. I'd love to see it reissued with the outtakes, etc.

metalrules, Coricama, rob68 and 3 others like this.
  16. Andrew Smith

I agree, a very underrated album. I play Desolation Angels a lot. :righton:

rob68 likes this.
  17. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

She's Gone, Gone, Gone....

18. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I agree as well and I also bought DA the day it was released. I was 15 and bought the lp off the back of Rock and Roll Fantasy. There ended up being several gems on that album, mostly on side 1. I've always loved Early in the Morning, Gone Gone Gone, and Evil Wind...

migrantwing and rob68 like this.
  19. everyday_ffm

everyday_ffm Forum Resident

Without rehashing any historic information about Bad Company, which is all stuff fans already know, I’ll just jump to the good things that are coming for Bad Company fans. Not long ago (April 7, 2015), we had several updated remastered and expanded early catalog sets plus a long anticipated (and overdue) official live set. Love those! But now, we have a deep reach into their catalog to have two more classics that will be updated!

On May 26, the UK side of Warner Music will deliver Run With The Pack (1976), and Burnin’ Sky (1977) in freshly remastered 2CD packages along with expanded bonus tracks from the recording periods of both albums. There will be US versions, likely on the same date but the US always hold the cards a bit closer to their chests (I don’t know why).

For the Run With The Pack set, we’ll get the original album remastered on the first disc, with the bonus disc providing fourteen various alternative takes (but no finished outtake tracks). No word on the booklets yet, but if they follow the lead of the first two albums in their 2CD forms, then they’ll be just as awesome. Expect uncovered photos, new notes, memorabilia, and content details.

MusicTAP » ...essential

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

21. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Andrew Smith, superstar19 and slipkid like this.
  22. zen

zen Senior Member

Good news. I'll get...Run With The Pack. I already have the first two deluxers.

23. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

This is great news. I thought they did a good job with the first two deluxers. Really looking forward to these.

24. mattright

mattright Forum Resident

Well if anyone here has Spotify, I noticed that they have two of the bonus tracks from the upcoming deluxe edition albums - in the Singles section:

Morning Sun (Take 3)
    Young Blood (Alternate Version 2)

25. boots

boots Chokma!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Andrew Smith and Mike Campbell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.