'Bad Girls' v 'diana'. Favourite songs poll.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

2 career peak albums released a year apart. Vote for up to 8 choices.

Except for @Alan1074. He can only have 2 as I think I know where his 8 would go!

Album artwork option if you want it. If not, just vote for 8 songs.

@JohnnyQuest @Thom @Jarleboy @MadamAdam @andy75

andy75, Alan1074, Thom and 1 other person like this.
  2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I like Diana's album cover more but I find Donna a million times more attractive so..... Ughhhhhhh SO TOUGH!!
    Sorry I'm going to have to vote for the art design and not focus solely on the artist's looks.
    I voted for...
    Hot Stuff
    Bad Girls
    Love Will Always Find You
    Upside Down
    I'm Coming Out
    My Old Piano
    Give Up
    :love:

Thom and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

I wasn't sure you'd heard 'Bad Girls' when I tagged you in. Glad you have. Great choices too.

I really love both album sleeves. That was the hardest choice for me!

Thom and JohnnyQuest like this.
  4. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Diana wins the album artwork contest. Love the photo, the shades of black & white, the font for the word Diana and the overall composition. Now to think about the songs...

bob60, JohnnyQuest and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

I was actually going to do diana v Physical... I had a nasty feeling the latter would fail miserably.:cry:

Thom likes this.
  6. JohnnyQuest

I've heard it in it's entirety about a week ago. :) It's a very long album to say the least. Lol More cohesive than I expected out of a Pop/Disco artist from the 70's.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I cannot even select only 8 songs from "Bad Girls," so there's no way I'm participating in this thread. If I were to force myself to narrow my choices down to 8, though, the only one from "diana" would be "Upside Down;" all of the other selections would be from Donna.

8. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Donna Summer most of the way - "Hot Stuff, "Bad Girls", "Our Love", "Walk Away", "Sunset People". I added the singles from "Diana" - "Upside Down", "My Old Piano", "I´m Coming Out". Great songs, in themselves, but I´m not really a fan of Dina Ross. Something always screams: "Plastic!" Shc van sing, and sometimes delivers a classic, but I have never really warmed to her.

DesertHermit and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

There are a few slow songs in the middle that drag it down a bit, but it's a very strong album considering. I like the fact that 'diana' is nice and short!

10. JohnnyQuest

Most of my favorite albums are short and sweet. :) 10 songs at the max. (With the exception of Pet Sounds)

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Hmmm, yes. I think she would. You'd have to find an artist Olivia could absolutely beat. John Travolta perhaps?

12. JohnnyQuest

Maybe Olivia Newton John vs. Linda Ronstadt?

13. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I voted for 4-3 to Ms Ross. I know diana well (and love it); Bad Girls I like but haven't listened to a lot so I do have that bias. That, and I prefer the sound of diana (thanks to Chic and Russ Terrana).

14. JohnnyQuest

15. Bobby Morrow

There are a lot more Ronstadt fans on here. Olivia might beat Sheena Easton.:D

Jarleboy and JohnnyQuest like this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

I think a lot of what makes people vote for ONJ in polls is down to her looks. This isn't always a good thing, but it's another string to her bow so I shan't complain.:)

Jarleboy and Thom like this.
  17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I love Donna Summer and have very little interest in Diana, so the question was just how to narrow it down to eight songs from Bad Girls. Very hard to choose between the ballads on side 3 and I had to include the whole suite on side 4, so I ended up with ”Bad Girls”, ”Walk Away”, ”Dim All The Lights”, ”There Will Always Be A You”, ”My Baby Understands”, ”Our Love”, ”Lucky” and ”Sunset People”.

I'm not sure I understand this thing with including the album artwork as one of the choices, I sure wouldn't want to waste one of the votes on the artwork over any of the songs, so maybe that should be a separate poll...? Anyway, this isn't Donna's best artwork, so if I had used a vote I might have gone for Diana there.

Donna's albums were getting more and more thematic and unified with each release ("concept albums" even), and I think the highpoint of this development was the previous album Once Upon A Time, which has a story running through it (kind of a Disco version of the "Rock Opera"). I like it better as a whole, I think it is her best album, but unfortunately it gets overlooked because it lacks any big hits. It has in common with Bad Girls that it has a "ballad" side and an "electonic" side, but its has less mainstream pop/rock infuences and therefore sounds more unique in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  18. Bobby Morrow

I added the album artwork option as that is important to many of us. I was hoping it would become my 'thing', but it's clearly not taken off.:D

But, yes absolutely, don't waste your vote on it if you don't want to. Plenty of great songs to choose.:D

Jarleboy and DesertHermit like this.
  19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

If you do a poll with two albums I really, really don't like I'll use the option, otherwise I'll go for the music before the artwork anytime. :)

20. Bobby Morrow

Did you see my Thriller V Purple Rain poll?

21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, I voted, same story there, one album I like and one I don't care for, so all Prince (and consequently no vote for the artwork). ;)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Diana all the way with my choices. I'd only rate Sunset People and Our Love over the weakest diana cut, Friend To Friend.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

I remember you saying you liked Sunset People in another thread.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. John54

John54 Senior Member

I don't know any of these songs!

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

diana is probably Ross' most consistent and best album. However, Donna Summer's Bad Girls is her best and most consistent album. Given the wide variety of styles that Bad Girls has to offer and how great every song is on the album I have to go with Bad Girls hands down. That is saying a lot as most double albums are bloated and could always be cut down to one album. I could never part with any of the tracks from Bad Girls. diana's production is great and Upside Down and I'm Coming Out is a knockout one-two punch just Hot Stuff and Bad Girls are.

Jarleboy, andy75 and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.