Bad Habits with Record Collecting.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SixOClockBoos, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie Thread Starter

Apart from buying too many records, what are some bad habits you all have in terms of record buying/collecting.

One of mine is that I buy just the picture sleeve with the intent of getting the record that comes with it only to put it off for months.
    I have a US John Lennon Mind Games P/S I got back in May or April of 2017 and I have not bought the single yet.
    Similarly, I have the US P/S of Count Me In by Gary Lewis and The Playboys since around March and again, I haven't bought the record to go with it yet.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  2. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

Justifying several pressings of the same album is #1 for me personally.

Also, until recently buying digital to vinyl transfers... no more! Unless....

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Not sure if I have any bad habits per say. Trying to think...

smoke and SixOClockBoos like this.
  4. Whay

Whay Forum Resident

Sometimes risking it by buying a music magpie CD that could arrive on fire with knives poking out the envelope all just because it's a couple quid cheaper.

5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

"I'll eat tomorrow"

6. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Keeping older copies of recent upgrades.

7. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Keeping way too much stuff that I just don't listen to...or want to listen to...

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i have a tendency to buy an album by someone and if i really like it, i get this weird "i need to buy all their other stuff" thing

9. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Buying cheap records in VG to VG- condition on impulse because they’re cheap and/or immediately available instead of being patient and waiting for something in better condition to come along.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    astro70, todd141, Quakerism and 18 others like this.
  10. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

YES. I've been trying to implement a 'Gem or Curio' test—a record must be one or the other to stay in the collection. Stuff moves to my sell pile, until I give one more listen, which, unfortunately more often than not, I decide to keep stuff. Why is it that records sound better once they're in my sell pile? Hopeless.

11. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

Every time I come across a copy of a particular album, be it yard sale/store etc, i'm just so delighted that i've seen it that my first reaction is, 'oh, i'll take better care of it than some Joe Shmoe', so I end up buying my fourteenth copy of said album, regardless of condition or price, hehe.

hominy, FJFP, bobc and 3 others like this.
  12. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

I have many but this is my most costly.
    I have about a hundred favorite bands and I always feel that I must have virtually everything that they release...
    So, if I discover something new that I like, in the back of my mind, I'm thinking,
    "I hope they don't have a huge discography" because I will try tp get everything I can get my hands on and as quickly as possible.

13. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

This^
    I have a critical eye for used vinyl unless it’s something I want really bad and haven’t seen.
    All of a sudden I start justifying things I wouldn’t tolerate in an album I want less badly. I buy it and then it bugs me that it’s not right until I get rid of it.
    And in the reverse I sometimes buy titles I probably wouldn’t have bought because they’re in real cherry condition.
    You know albums you sort of like but probably wouldn’t have bought but it was 50 years old and dead mint. You buy it and don’t listen to it. I’m specifically thinking of a Harpers Bizarre album. 1967 but it looks like it was made yesterday. Bought for $3 and played once in 5 years. I really should pass it on to someone who really wants it.

14. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Me:
    " I Need everything by The Cure immediately"
    "I Need everything by Husker Du immediately"

15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

oh man, don't get me started lol

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I buy too much stuff that I take too long to get around to listening to. It’s almost as if I like the purchase more than the listening, though, I do enjoy both. Occasionally it’ll cost me, as I’ll discover a defect well after the timeframe to return it has passed. I have enough records to listen to for the first time that I could be entertained for quite some time, but I’ll still throw something new on the pile.

Soultan71, klockwerk, MikeT and 18 others like this.
  17. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

But in these two examples you really do need everything immediately.

18. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I've got a bad habit of missing buses when a thrift store is nearby.

astro70, Jeff Kent, meterman and 10 others like this.
  19. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

One is quite Du-able

The other is a little more work...

SixOClockBoos and Marc Perman like this.
  20. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I'm confused by this - every time I've bought a picture sleeve record, the disk has been with it. I've not been able to buy the sleeves without the record. Can you clarify please?

21. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Yes this has always been my problem. Once I get into an artist I'm like a slave to the entire catalog...it really bit me when I got into the rolling stones.

intv7, MTCIII65, MikeT and 4 others like this.
  22. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Talking about a recent find to a friend and relative until their eyes glaze over.

23. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Never had any trouble with those guys. You have horror stories?

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  24. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Great thread!! I’ve got several of your afflictions—keep ‘em coming!

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  25. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Hitting the dollar bin. I ended up giving back two 1.5 size moving boxes worth of records to the same record store. I realized I didn't listen to a lot of it, and most of them were impulse buys because they were in great shape, was curious about the mastering, and they were a dollar. Very dangerous.

Tommyboy, Fastnbulbous, ebro and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.