"Bad News" - Does anybody remember this mockumentary classic that predates "Spinal Tap"?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Natvecal., Jun 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING Thread Starter

It stars;

Rik Mayall (1958–2014)
    Adrian Edmondson
    Nigel Planer

from the Young Ones
    comedy (BBC) Also Dawn French And Jennifer Saunders are in it . First came out ,Bad News Tour ( Jan 24 1983 ) 45 min.Mocumentary like Spinal Tap (Mar 3 1984) BUT, predates it. It's goofier and leans towards the more metal side of rock. I'm so surprised at the lack of recognition of this classic. More Bad News ( Feb 27 1988) 45min. is part II . So together it's movie length. Cameos by Lemmy ,Ozzy , a lot of known groups and actors of the time . Me ,having been in bands and knowing other band members we all quoted this as much as Spinal Tap to each other all the time. Having Bad News & Spinal was the complete Bible of what happens or can go amiss when you're in a band! Hope you and any one else that likes SP enjoys it! Share your favorite quotes or scenes. Or (if not familiar with this )GO WATCH IT.

2. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

I remember it well. Warriors of Genghis Khan, Frilly Pink etc.

I loved it! Didn't know it predated Spinal Tap, I always thought it was a rip off.

Thatfabulousalien and Natvecal. like this.
  3. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I saw them at Donington Monsters of Rock in 1986 (I think)...the TV shows were funnier! I think it was filmed for parts to be included in More Bad News.

Randoms and Natvecal. like this.
  4. Natvecal.

That was my first thoughts as well when I bought this on VHS around '90 ish (give or take some years ). Over time found out it was part of The Comic Strip presents series ( directed mostly by The actor that plays Spyder.)

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I have the Comic Strip boxset with all the episodes. Some stand up well now and others are badly dated. This one is very dated now I think and the writing isn't good, though there are some good bits. Watch 'The Strike' and that stands up well now, genius. The episodes were really up and down at the time, not very consistent, which was fine as they were trying new things and some hit and others missed.

Spinal Tap quite frankly pisses all over it.

kwadguy, scobb, Randoms and 2 others like this.
  6. Natvecal.

That would be my guess as well.

7. Natvecal.

Peter Richardson plays Spyder
    i

Andrew J likes this.
  8. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Yep, adore both Bad News films and seen them many times. Me and the Mrs constantly quote lines from them. Absolutely wonderful stuff.

Still hurting over the death of Rik Mayall.

9. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Remember seeing this on MTV(?) with other Comic Strip/Young Ones episodes back in the day. Definitely cruder/wackier than Tap but good for some larfs.

They put out a CD in the late 80's which I have; they affectionately butcher "Bohemian Rhapsody" and the song "Bad News" has some fun stuff, including a Led Zep steal which is legitimately hilarious.

10. Natvecal.

[QUOTE="Jim B., post: 16722838, member: 24346"]I have the Comic Strip boxset with all the episodes. Some stand up well now and others are badly dated. This one is very dated now I think and the writing isn't good, though there are some good bits. Watch 'The Strike' and that stands up well now, genius. The episodes were really up and down at the time, not very consistent, which was fine as they were trying new things and some hit and others missed.

Spinal Tap quite frankly pisses all over it.[/QUOTE] So do I and I agree. Some very hit and miss eps. But I am glad to own this none the less.I played in metal bands so Bad News spoke to me very well(too well in some cases) so, I feel if you have both of these Bad News ( I & II) & SP you got it covered in the Rock mocumentry genera. I don't favor one over the other. And don't want this to be about which one is better than the other either. Kudos if you prefer or love one over the other. I LOVE BOTH. Bad News just deserves a bit of a nod for being the first and that doesn't imply it's better than Spinal. I 'm ewant to encourage to enjoy them all is my goal.

Man at C&A, Poison_Flour and Jim B. like this.
  11. Natvecal.

Me and the Mrs as well.

Man at C&A, Randoms and Phil Tate like this.
  12. Natvecal.

I had that on tape cassette . Boy, DO they butcher that song!

bizmopeen likes this.
  13. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I saw the first episode on MTV. Thought it was hilarious. Bought the cd and video of both Bad News episodes.

Randoms and Natvecal. like this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The episode "GLC" features music by Kate Bush! "Who's the funky sex machine? Ken!"

15. Natvecal.

Just a heads up. I really don't want to pit Bad News against Spinal Tap. I found out long after the fact that BN came out a year earlier than Spinal did and had always thought they were riding on Spinal's glory. But, great minds and creativity think alike ! It makes me respect Bad News a lot more knowing they didn't rip off Spinal. Just giving credit where credit's due. And I can whatch these over and over and still laugh my ass off at the realism within these films that I've personally experienced !

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  16. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Produced by Brian May no less!

Absolutely love Bad News, I can pretty much quote the entire thing, I can quote Spinal Tap as well! Not getting into the which is better argument, to me they're equally important parts of my life and I'm very happy to have both.

Very much miss Rik Mayall, I've loved everything he's done, Young Ones, Bottom, The New Statesman, Dangerous Brothers, etc.

17. Natvecal.

I liked that Tom Petty quote about Spinal on the other thread. So true.

18. Natvecal.

Agreed % 100 on this!!!!! Wife & I also have all the DVDs you mentioned as well! Rik is awesome in this (Bad News)as the wanna be bassist.

Andrew J and Lands End Drums like this.
  19. Natvecal.

Lands End Drums likes this.
  20. Loved it.

Natvecal. likes this.
  21. Natvecal.

I was on the Movies With Fictional Bands thread. Spinal of course was mentioned /liked but only two people liked Bad News (after I posted it) and I realized it is not well known outside my little bubble of friends. I just hope more people give it a try . Like The Office (BBC) the more you watch the more you catch the little things/nuances that really give the humor more power over time /repeated viewings that I enjoy so much!

Andrew J, Randoms and Lands End Drums like this.
  22. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

For what it's worth, Spinal Tap debuted in 1979 (on a U.S. TV special hosted by Rob Reiner) and "This Is Spinal Tap" started production in late 1982.

But since "Bad News Tour" aired in January 1983, it's certainly possible (if not likely) that it ended up influencing scenes in "This Is Spinal Tap".

edit: the first script for "This Is Spinal Tap" was written in September 1982.

23. Natvecal.

Loved the whole " yes we're heavy metal But, we're not " debate/ argument they get into classic! We used the audio from that scene (by the time they,re yelling at each other) to play through the clubs PA before we went on stage and jump into our fist song of the set-list right after Spyder says "This is really heavy" ( think that's the right wording. it's been decades since )

24. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Not one of Comic Strip Presents, best showings. Watched it on Ch. 4 back in 82-83, and bought the box set.

"I could play, Stairway To Heaven, when I was 12, Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot."

Something about sausages, and letting the dog in free.

Whereas I've watched, A Fistful Of Travellers Cheques, multiple times, Bad News, two or three.

Was it in Bad News, that Rik Mayall had a LP12 in his bedroom, which he started by yanking on a pull chord?

Natvecal. likes this.
  25. Natvecal.

Interesting observation certainly. That's a cool fact to know, Thanks! That's what I love about this forum ! I'm learning stuff as well here and thanks for all the post/input it's fantastic!

Randoms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.