Bad news for music lovers: Fantasy Studios, building closed. Get your OJC CD's now!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mcow1, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

FWIW, the 6.99 OJC sale at J&R is now the 8.99 OJC sale at J&R. Kicking myself for not pushing the button on a buncha Blue Mitchell's over the weekend.

2. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I stumbled across a nice OJC CD at the Virgin Megastore's Chicago store closing today: The Clark Terry Quintet's Serenade to a Bus Seat, with Johnny Griffin, Wynton Kelly, Philly Joe Jones, and Paul Chambers.

[​IMG]

3. stevemtno

stevemtno Forum Resident

Just picked up You Get More Bounce With Curtis Counce on OJC vinyl today. Never heard it before, but always loved the cover :)

It's been a long time since I bought an album because of the cover!

SteveMTNO

4. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I should be getting Jaki Byard's Out Front! any day now, maybe it's sitting in my mailbox now as I type this at work. Normally, Newbury is quicker than a week, but the holiday probably slowed things up a little.

And the music ain't bad, either... :D

[​IMG]

5. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I got it today, and am playing it a second time now. Great stuff. Nice mix of piano-trio tunes and songs with horns. bluesbro22, I'm guessing that you're mostly curious about what I think of "European Episode." Amazing piece of music, that one. A 12-minute suite with some nifty tempo shifts. That alone is worth the price of the CD, which BTW Newbury Comics is now selling new for only $6.99 via Amazon--as compared to the $7.89 I paid for it.

"Lush Life" is another gem. Hard to screw that one up, though. "Two Different Worlds" is another nice ballad.

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

:righton:

7. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Just bought the Herb Ellis/Joe Pass - Two For The Road yesterday. Great album! :thumbsup:

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I was reading some of Steve's recommendations for some good sounding OJC CDs. I placed on order via Concorde Music and here's what arrived:

Adderly/Evans "Know What I Mean?"
    Art Pepper "Meets The Rhythm Section"
    Monk/Terry "In Orbit"
    Jackson & Montgomery "Bags Meets Wes"
    Wes Mont. "So Much Guitar"
    Bill Evan "Waltz For Debby"

I already had a few of these via K2 remasterings, but I guess these are the ones to have eh? These were all $9 except for one @$12, gotta love it! It's gonna be a fun weekend listening :agree:

9. jpm-boston

jpm-boston Forum Resident

I have the OJCs of what you listed above. They sound great and are very enjoyable albums. A great way to spend $57. Enjoy your weekend.

10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I'm not sure the OJCs are an upgrade over the K2's. I've always preferred the latter, apart from a few exceptions.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

So are we gathering up the OJC's?

12. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I've picked up some pretty good stuff so far.

13. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Yessir, I've been on the lookout for them since this thread started, and I've picked up a whole lot of them.

14. bw

bw Forum Resident

I always do a double take when I see that black and white spine in the used CD bins. More willing to take a chance on something I've never considered just becase it's an OJC.

Really makes me sad.

15. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Yesterday I picked up Very Saxy by Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis-Buddy Tate-Coleman Hawkins-Arnett Cobb.

Not the RVG as the image indicates

[​IMG]

And also Mose Allison Greatest Hits

[​IMG]

16. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I think I completed my collection of Jacki Byard OJCs recently. Some were tricky to find.

17. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

I have the OJC vinyl for Very Saxy - good stuff!

I've been gathering these up regularly in batches on CD and/or LP. (I have a few duplicates for sale in the classifieds too so I can buy more!) :D

18. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

19. il pleut

il pleut New Member

i've been trying to accumulate certain artists that i like- jaki byard, george russell, booker ervin, for example- that may not be reissued anytime soon.
    the rollins, dolphy, trane, monk, miles etc stuff will pretty much always be around, and i have most or all of that anyway.

right now i have a stack of about 50 that i haven't even opened yet, many from the big sale of 2 summers ago, so i'm being pretty selective.

20. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Me, I've been stocking up on OJC's bounty of West Coast stalwarts-- Harold Land, Hampton Hawes, Curtis Counce, Howard Maghee and Teddy Edwards. Great stuff and my guess would be among the early wave of cutbacks if they get to that...

21. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

If it's now next to impossible to identify the first-generation tape from a safety/production copy as stated above, how is Concord able to remaster the Keepnews Collection CDs from "original master tapes" as Joe Tarantino has gone on record as stating? Or is that just so much marketing blather?

22. bw

bw Forum Resident

That's the million dollar question. It drove everyone nuts when this tread started. Thus the run on the OJC's.

The whole thing still saddens me.

23. For what it's worth, I compared the Keepnews Collection version of Joe Henderson's Power to the People, and the version of the same tracks in the Henderson Milestone Collection boxed set. To me both transfers sound the same. So I think there may be some substance to the charge that there is a lot of marketing behind those reissues.

24. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

Was Ralph Kaffel the owner of Fantasy when they were bought by Norman Lear and became the Concord Music Group? I thought Kaffel was the guy who kept all those poor-selling obscure OJC CDs in print at a financial loss so that they would always be available to jazz fans. I wonder if the owner(s) of Fantasy knew of Concord's plans prior to selling? I guess none of that matters now.

25. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

By the way, how is Stuart Kremsky (former Fantasy tape librarian) doing? Steve?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.