Badfinger...anyone listening lately?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RoryStorm, Jan 28, 2015.

1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Short Review:

Iveys - Anthology Vol. 1 Live June 7, 1966 @ Empire Neath, S. Wales

Up front I give the Audio an 8.5, which is generous for a recording this primitive, it needed some important Remastering to present the unique recording today. This isn't like live Hamburg recordings captured of The Beatles.

No comparison other than it is all Cover material performed by The Iveys, the Sound quality is amazing for the chance to here Pete, Ron, Mike & Dai playing in a club from 1966.

Forgive my ramblings below.

A "Time Capsule" listen to a 65 minute gig by The Iveys, very animated fast paced singing, and banter with the audience in attendance (small crowd of 25-45?). The audio is crystal clear with a wool sock damper feel to it. Still very enjoyable! I could hear some crisp wonderful playing by Mike Gibbins, he had so much energy on the kit at this gig, even hitting some cowbell during the track "Crocadile Walk".

Clear intros of the songs, and some dedications are mentioned to the audience. Much of the singing is done by Ron, with strong harmonies from Pete & Dai Jenkins. Pete does a beautiful job singing on the Solomon Burke "Stupidity", he's so energetic on this! Another nice one from Pete singing Curtis Mayfield "It's All Right" , and amazing guitar playing on James Brown's "I Go Crazy", another Pete belts out is "Everything Is Gonna Be Alight", with some wonderful guitar playing. Dai does a few too, one that stands out is "Keep A Driving"

The band wraps up the night with a quick take of Spencer Davis tune "Keep On Running" written by Steve Winwood

Very cool to listen, eyes closed and envision The Iveys jamming away the night, and this is very different from what became Badfinger in early 70's [4-5 years later].

I don't know what the pressing quantity of these titles will be, but grab one or two while it's available! Pete, Ron, Dai & Mike really had a nice R&B groove going back in 1966.

*the recording was originally made by Bill Collins with a single microphone placed in front of a P.A. speaker on to a portable reel-to-reel tape machine.

Hep Alien, Calico, cwitt1980 and 4 others like this.
  2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Here's one Encore from close of the July 29th appearance of Joey performing full "Straight Up album Live"

No More

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Another Encore

No Matter What

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

As a follow up to the short review of The Iveys Vol. 1 release, i want to thank Ron L. Griffiths for making the opportunity available to hear these recordings and hopefully much more to come for everyone!

Hep Alien, Calico, jricc and 3 others like this.
  5. Criminy pete

Criminy pete Forum Resident

Whoa, you got it already? I'm sure we're all riveted waiting for your comments.

Peter_R likes this.
  6. Criminy pete

Criminy pete Forum Resident

You have to have a PayPal account, no other option. I'm actually getting my PayPal account as we speak.

7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A fan produced design on a "baby blue" colored t-shirt from early 90's
    [​IMG]

8. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Been looking for a nice copy of No Dice for many years and by a weird circumstance ended up with 2 and a Straight Up for $2 a piece. On a tip from a local, while out yard sale-ing last week, I went to a garage that was supposed to have hundreds of LP's for sale but when I got there the people busy moving in said ....oh, that guy isn't here anymore but we have records we're willing to sell. So, picked up 35 nice LP's for $70. Been listening to both No Dice copies....great, even if a long time comin'.

longdist01 and Peter_R like this.
  9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Saw Joey Molland perform STRAIGHT UP at Daryl's House last night (using the same group who plays with Denny Laine). Very, very good. Who knew?

longdist01 likes this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Great to hear, and even better the support band is well rehearsed on Badfinger!

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Great to see it being played and enjoyed!

13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A t-shirt to promote the Fanzine "No Matter What" from the early 90's (pre-Internet days)

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, Criminy pete and cwitt1980 like this.
  14. Fraga

Fraga Forum Resident

One of the best and most underrated bands of ALL TIME. What a sad story, though :(

15. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Just got my Iveys Anthology Live CD in the Mail!
    Well, I'll be busy for the next little while...

Mark Wilson and longdist01 like this.
  16. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Years ago, before I had Internet access, I phoned in an order for Dan Matovina's Without You book. Turns out I'd reached the author in person, and we talked for quite a while. I spoke to him a few more times and exchanged the occasional email. His passion for the group is quite genuine. I'm glad he's had the chance to participate in some of the band's archival projects. A while ago he put a couple of remixed Head First tracks up on YouTube, which got my hopes up for a reissue, but so far I haven't seen any more word about that.

longdist01, factory44 and Peter_R like this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Dan has helped Ham & Evans estates throughout the last couple decades, at some point he has focused on Ron Griffiths musical contributions before Magic Christian Music was released by Apple. There were two demo projects initiated on PledgeMusic in 2015 for Pete & Tom, but they were withdrawn. Also another release mentioned was a unique Live gig of Badfinger from end of November 1970, again it appears that in this one case clearances from Apple were requested, and awaiting Publishing approval.

The newest project is from Ron, The Iveys 1966 Live CD. Maybe they are distributed by Dan, my mailing envelope was marked First Class mail, where as Paypal indicated shipping was from outside U.S.A.?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Here's another planned release (withdrawn?) prior to recent 1966 Iveys Live, mostly Covers with a few Iveys tracks

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and botfinger like this.
  19. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I just received my copy and am listening to it right now. I agree about the cdr/thermal b&w print on disc. Minimal packaging, pic on front, songs and credits on back.

A brief review ...
    Sound quality is pretty clear with intelligible vocals, the instrumentation is kind of mid-rangey, however the lead guitar does cut through, and there are some nice bluesy leads.
    The last song, Keep on Running cuts off before the end.

IMO, regarding sound quality, if the Star Club Tapes are 3 0n scale of 1-10. This release is a 5- 6, but given the fact that it was recorded with a mic in front of a PA speaker, that's pretty good.
    The Iveys sound like a very good beat/R&B combo. I don't think this resembles what The Iveys eventually became, but like The Beatles, they were doing songs they dug when they were young.

It is really nice to have a good historical document of The Iveys.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  20. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Having listened to the album now a couple of times, the Hamburg analogy that has been mentioned is spot-on.
    Sonically, and in terms of content, it's a fair & accurate comparison.

Is it my favourite Iveys album? No.
    Would I buy a volume 2? Yes. and a volume 3, for that matter.

A worthy addition to the Badfinger story. An excellent snapshot/document of the band.

21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    A colleague picked this up from a show when Mike & Joey were Touring in the early 90's.

22. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

This gig looks even better than the 1966 one... a few early originals and a nice list of covers. C'mom Apple, let Dan release these privately recorded shows for the true fans. Ron

23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

It would be really nice to hear. Unsure what holdup really is.

24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Here's the other release initially scheduled for July of 2016.

[​IMG]
    November 28, 1970 at Palladium
    Birmingham, Michigan.
    (From a soundboard sourced tape)

Setlist:

My Dark Hour
    Midnight Sun
    Better Days
    I Don't Mind
    Blodwyn
    We're For The Dark
    Feelin' Alright
    I Can't Take It
    No Matter What
    Crimson Ship
    Come And Get It
    Love Me Do/Lucille/Rip It Up-Long Tall Sally

encores:
    blues jam: "Walk That Road"/Matchbox
    Rock Of All Ages [w/ Good Golly Miss Molly]

[​IMG]

The Palladium was a club owned by Punch Andrew, Bob Seger's longtime manager. The recording was by a friend of the band, close to Pete & Tom.

Hopefully one day it will be released, looks like a nice set by Badfinger in the beginning.

Hep Alien, boggs, jricc and 3 others like this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Hep Alien likes this.