Badfinger...anyone listening lately?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RoryStorm, Jan 28, 2015.

1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

That certainly looks mouth watering.

2. Criminy pete

Criminy pete Forum Resident

I know the author of this fanzine, Robert Rodriguez. He currently has a Beatles podcast and has authored several outstanding books on the Beatles.

Hep Alien and longdist01 like this.
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

listening through "Straight Up", a nice song by the band!

Blue Cactus, Criminy pete and RickH like this.
  4. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

This looks like an incredible show. Anyone know what happened, e.g. why it wasn't released or if it's still going to be released and if so, when?

longdist01 and Criminy pete like this.
  5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

not yet...maybe the Estates were involved with Apple (communication delay?) to ok everything. It was quickly pulled last July with no more information to speak of. :(

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Great idea, I'm gonna throw some on right now! :edthumbs:

longdist01 and Criminy pete like this.
  7. Criminy pete

LOVE the piano part. Pete, among many other things, was a criminally underated keyboard/ piano player as well as everything else. What a waste of talent (the whole band as well).

Hep Alien and longdist01 like this.
  8. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Just last night our band covered 'Sweet Tuesday Morning', 'Suitcase', 'No Matter What', and 'Baby Blue'.
    You could hear crickets during 'Sweet', but the others came off very well.
    I've got 1st presses of all their stuff, but for 'No Dice', I prefer the early 90's vinyl, although it is probably digital.

Hep Alien, jricc and longdist01 like this.
  9. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Perhaps they need more time to plug in to 1990. #drummachine :hide:

10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

nah,

The 1970 Tour is supposed to be from a decent soundboard reel-to-reel. One day it will appear as a release, when...know idea.

Again it was pulled last July, and it's all "Analog" material from November 1970.

11. Criminy pete

This question is for our resident Badfinger expert and keeper of the thread, longdist01. Thanks so much for all your material.

All the piano keyboard parts are stellar on Straight Up. I have a question and hopefully you can help. The making of Straight Up was a cluster***** as all of us know. Did Pete do the piano track for Name of the Game? I know there were other piano players there; Leon Russell and I forgot who else but someone famous. Yet another thing that sickens me because Pete was such a beautiful piano player (one song that comes to mind is Midnight Caller! God) I don't know if it was George H., Tod R. Or whoever that made that decision. Do you know who played it? I've looked but it's not really clear.

PS I also commented about the piano in Flying a couple of posts above.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  12. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I haven't listened lately but I should check out more of their tunes. I have the 3" Japan CD single of "No Matter What". One of my favorite bands, Lillian Axe, did a nice arrangement of it.

longdist01 likes this.
  13. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

What a great band. I listen quite often. All the albums are great. Lately its been the latest greatest hits album. I also have one of the Pete Ham solo albums. All really solid stuff.

14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

It sounds like Pete on piano for all of No Dice material, I'd read somewhere Nicky Hopkins "may" have done some playing on Straight Up sessions, but am certain "Without You" book disputes that. George Harrison utilized Leon on piano for Day After Day on Straight Up, not sure anything else.

I'm a puzzled even today that Pete or the band didn't attempt to use a Rhodes electric piano on the Tours instead of miking a hired piano throughout the 1970, 1971, 1972 concerts, and then all together gave up frustrated with poor sound and many technical problems w/ pianos! Certainly the band could have tried harder to firm up there stage presence along with hard rock material, and extended jamming too!

Hep Alien and Criminy pete like this.
  15. Criminy pete

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    longdist01 likes this.
  16. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I have no documentation to back this up, but it sounds like Pete. Nicky Hopkins tended to block less and played more notes (think Jealous Guy, She's a Rainbow, et al). I'm pretty sure the only session with Leon Russell was Day After Day. It definitely isn't Al Kooper. Pete was capable of some amazing keyboard work.

17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Tom backstage
    © Darrel Crawford
    October 17, 1970 Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO)

18. Criminy pete

My sentiments exactly, Janet

19. Criminy pete

Oh my lord! I just saw this. Is it going to be released? What a platinum song list!

*The intended quote was the longdist01 post re: the 1970 show.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Pete Ham, sporting a Harry Nilsson button!

21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Listening to ASS album, beautiful opening song written by Pete Ham, bid adieu to Apple label.

[​IMG]

22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A rare 1972 appearance on U.K. television (Set of Six) with a brilliant presentation of "Take It All"

23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Mike Gibbins wrote several songs during his time with Badfinger, just love this one sung by Pete!

[​IMG]

Criminy pete, Hep Alien and Calico like this.
  24. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Listening to remastered Ass with bonus tracks on CD. Sweet. Still own the LP that I bought when it was released, based strength of Apple Of My Eye, which was getting some FM exposure. Good stuff.

longdist01 and Mark Wilson like this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

1992 was an exciting time to finally get exposed to quite a few Rare tracks during the Apple records Reissue program, particularly from Badfinger catalog. There were a few tracks featured in brilliant quality finally, and some unheard of the Bands Jam-style.

[​IMG]