Badfinger - Straight Up. One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE. Do you love this album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doctor Jimmy, Aug 5, 2017.

1. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

No Dice is fantastic as well, and Pete and Tom did hit their stride on that album. I should have probably said peak, that was more what is was thinking. Of course, Wish You Were Here is great as well. Such a great band, it is hard to decide!:D

longdist01 and DK Pete like this.
  2. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

My favorite Badfinger album.

[​IMG]

Aardvark23, JonUrban, oboogie and 5 others like this.
  3. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Currently spinning this fine album on my turntable. It never gets old.

lemonade kid, longdist01 and g.z. like this.
  4. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Xlnt album! Baby Blue and Day After Day are two of Badfinger's best songs, just achingly beautiful lyrically and musically. At his best, Ham was a songwriter of McCartney caliber.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Raoul97202

Raoul97202 Forum Resident

Have always loved this album since I first heard it in 1972. One of the rare albums where I really like every track.

jeffd7030 and longdist01 like this.
  6. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

I didn't hear this album until 1989 on 95.5 KLOS-FM on their
    7th Day program...
    But, yeah I do love this album dearly.
    It's the only DCC gold CD I own.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    longdist01 likes this.
  7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Oddly enough I heard this album on KSHE-95 out of St. Louis for the first time on their 7th Day Program. It may have been as soon as the 1st cd was released. I'm pretty sure they played the bonus tracks.

905, longdist01 and g.z. like this.
  8. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup: That's cool you got to hear the bonus tracks.
    KLOS 95.5 was playing a CD of the album
    before the original official CD release.
    It sure wasn't vinyl. I might still have the
    cassette I taped of the broadcast.

905, cwitt1980 and longdist01 like this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My UK Apple original LP of this is cherished. And sounds superb. Got this around 5 months ago at a thrift, paid $1.99 for it. Near mint minus condition.

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

While I prefer Straight Up, If i try to look at it objectively, I think that No Dice somehow better represents Badfinger as a band, musically.

The Panda likes this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Day After Day sheet music
    (Hal Leonard 1972)

oboogie, lemonade kid and McLover like this.
  12. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

My fave too...
    ...just getting into my Rhino green vinyl "Wish You Were Here" -- for the first time on this LP. Wonderful.

13. lemonade kid

I have a great German first press vinyl, and it is awesome sounding too.

Deano6 and longdist01 like this.
  14. peteham

peteham Senior Member

An exquisite piece of work, and so is Wish You Were Were.

lemonade kid, longdist01 and Sean like this.
  15. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Absolutely... always.

[​IMG]

oboogie, jeffd7030, JDeanB and 4 others like this.
  16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Finally was able to get a decent copy on wax for a good price over the weekend. Currently spinning.
    [​IMG]

oboogie, jeffd7030, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Nice, glad to hear you finally got a vintage copy!

Sean likes this.
  18. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I had always known of the Badfinger hits but never heaed of Straight Up until a couple years ago.
    I saw this record in a thrift shop, the cover had no title but the guys on it looked like a 70s rock band so I checked it out. The Applevlabel listed Baby Blue and Day After Day and produced by Rundgren and Harrison so I figured it would be $1 well spent.
    I loved every song from start to finish on first listen! Great lyrics, melodies, vocals...everything. Straight Up is one of my all time fave records. I have since bought No Dice and Magic Christian but like Straight Up much better.
    I have seen 3 original Apple copies for $1 in local thrifts over years. I bought 2 (both in VG) and left one so hopefully someone else can discover it.

boggs, longdist01 and carlwm like this.
  19. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Breaks a few rules, this record. For example, having a mid-tempo track like "Take It All" as the opener; but it sucks you in, setting you up to be killed by "Baby Blue" ... the song sequence is inspired, in my view. Pete's gems are strategically placed so as not to ever let you lose interest; but the others' tracks are pretty great (Joey's rocker "Sometimes" would have made the 1965 Lennon/McCartney team proud, to name but one.) Producing (most of) this was just about my favourite thing Todd Rundgren ever did (the other was Xtc's Skylarking.) A lot of hearts-on-sleeves emoting, here; one of the most exquisite moments being Pete and George Harrison's guitars in unison on the "Day After Day" solo.

A desert island album, for me; and one I have no trouble playing alongside Abbey Road. Yup, I think it's that good ...

SQ note: the DCC CD is my go-to; but if that costs too much these days (what does it go for, now? ...) the Apple reissue CD from a decade or so ago is quite listenable.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Hayden Love, RickH, oboogie and 5 others like this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

21. 905

905 Senior Member

Wish You Were Here will always be my favorite Badfinger, but this is certainly my second.
    Thanks to this thread, I just put Straight Up on. Some of the best music I've heard is from them. When I listen to Badfinger I silently think "bless them." :(

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    bhazen, RickH, lemonade kid and 2 others like this.
  22. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Yes! Love it.

carlwm and longdist01 like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

played my CD after reading this thread...great album, yes.
    ~)~

oboogie, carlwm and longdist01 like this.
  24. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Just started getting into badfinger. I've known the hits but never listened to the albums until recently. To me this is the most consistent album and the best produced. Some of their other work ranges from Beatles brilliant to just OK. I would find my mind drifting to over analyzing the songs while listening late at night to magic Christian music. When I put on this album I enjoyed every track and rank it highly in the pop rock genre. They are most certainly more than a greatest hits only type of band. The body of work has both substance and lasting appeal.

boggs, bhazen and longdist01 like this.
  25. lemonade kid

Wish You Were Here & Straight Up are two albums that never get refiled in the record cabinet...that vinyl is always leaned up against a speaker near my turntable along with a select few.