"Badfinger" & "Wish You Were Here" Expanded Editions 11/02/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Wilson, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Didn’t see a dedicated thread on these, and just learned of them myself via Facebook last night. Both albums have been remastered by Dan Matovina and include numerous bonus tracks. They’re up for preorder at Amazon (see links). Below are the track lists and reissue details. In addition I’ve asked a few related questions at FB and will respond here when I get answers.

“Badfinger”:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_date_2?fst=as%3Aoff%2Cp90x%3A1&rh=n%3A5174%2Ck%3Abadfinger%2Cp_n_date%3A1249114011&keywords=badfinger&ie=UTF8&qid=1536756302&rnid=1249111011

Our Expanded Edition features the unreleased song “Love My Lady,” plus nine more outtakes from the album sessions; it’s the first time the original album’s been remastered (by Matovina from the original master tapes) since its maiden release on CD, while Matovina’s notes include fresh quotes from original producer Chris Thomas!

Disc: 1
    1. I Miss You
    2. Shine On
    3. Love Is Easy
    4. Song For A Lost Friend
    5. Why Don't We Talk?
    6. Island
    7. Matted Spam
    8. Where Do We Go From Here?
    9. My Heart Goes Out
    10. Lonely You
    11. Give It Up
    12. Andy Norris
    13. Love My Lady - unreleased song outtake
    14. Shine On - work in progress mix
    15. Song For A Lost Friend - work in progress mix
    16. Island - work in progress mix
    17. Matted Spam - work in progress mix
    18. Where Do We Go From Here - work in progress mix
    19. My Heart Goes Out - work in progress mix
    20. Lonely You - work in progress mix
    21. Give It Up - work in progress mix
    22. Andy Norris - work in progress mix

“Wish You Were Here”:

https://www.amazon.com/Wish-You-Were-Here-Expanded/dp/B07H5VTHFX/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1536756668&sr=1-2&keywords=badfinger&refinements=p_n_date%3A1249114011

For this Expanded Edition (which offers a new remastering of the album for the first time since it was initially released on CD), we’ve unearthed an unreleased song (“Queen of Darkness”), and uncorked eight new remixes that highlight many un-used vocals and novel instrumental arrangements. Matovina’s notes include exclusive quotes from original producer Chris Thomas. The last and best record with the original line-up, now fully unveiled!

Disc: 1
    1. Just A Chance
    2. You're So Fine
    3. Got To Get Out Of Here
    4. Know One Knows
    5. Dennis
    6. In The Meantime/Some Other Time
    7. Love Time
    8. King Of The Load (T)
    9. Meanwhile Back At The Ranch/Should I Smoke
    10. Queen Of Darkness - unreleased song mixed 2018
    11. Just A Chance - alternate mix 2018
    12. Your So Fine - alternate mix 2018
    13. Got To Get Out Of Here - alternate mix 2018
    14. Know One Knows - alternate mix 2018
    15. Dennis - alternate mix 2018
    16. In The Meantime / Some Other Time - alternate mix 2018
    17. Love Time - alternate mix 2018
    18. Meanwhile Back At The Ranch / Should I Smoke - alternate mix 2018
    19. Know One Knows - alternate Single mix 2018

2. joeortonjr

joeortonjr Forum Resident

Fabulous news! Any idea if "Queen Of Darkness" is a studio version or the Tom Evans demo previously released on the Head First deluxe edition?

Hep Alien, longdist01 and melstapler like this.
  3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Pre-ordered

4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Aww... thought you meant Floyd.

5. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Wish You Were Here gets all the kudos, but I like both of their WB albums. I'm looking forward to these.

6. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Pretty reliable gauge of any random person's musical tastes: what they think of first when they hear Wish You Were Here.

Me, I fall into the category that's the subject of this thread! I love Badfinger's Apple period, including all of their hits, but this album was their finest work.

I'll be ordering this release.

7. Mark Wilson

I'll ask but it does say New 2018 Mix so I'd assume it's from the studio multi's. Interesting question.

Mark

8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I’m in for Wish You Were Here, only heard good things about this album here!

9. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I’m sure it’s a great album, I’ve heard a lot of good things about Badfinger. Had just never heard of this album before. Maybe I should give this album a listen someday.

10. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I recommend it highly. Unfortunately, it's also a tragic album. Without getting into all the gory details, because of business machinations from perhaps the most unscrupulous manager in the history of rock 'n' roll, Warner Bros. pulled the plug on all promotion of this album just as it was starting to catch on.

Pete Ham of Badfinger knew they had put everything together and produced their finest work yet, and then the rug was yanked out completely from underneath him.

The result was his suicide just a few months later.

11. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Holy s***! I had no idea! Poor guy.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. Thanks for posting. Both were remastered a couple of years back so that isn't quite accurate. Looking forward to the unreleased stuff and hoping it's well mastered.

longdist01 and Mark Wilson like this.
  13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yes, you should.

sfactor23, Hep Alien and longdist01 like this.
  14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Real Gone Music has a great track record. I'm looking forward to these.

15. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Have original German & Japanese CD issues of these.

Really looking forward to this.

Two albums worth of unreleased Badfinger recordings & alternate mixes?

Yes, please.

16. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

Not only pulled the promotion but Warners actually yanked the lp from store shelves...

17. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Got familiar with Wish You Were Here back in January, probably my first real discovery of this year. Must have heard it 100 times or more... Know it like the back of my hand. As such it would be interesting to get a hold of this deluxe edition... Even if it wasn't exactly cheap (but not ridiculously expensive either)... So more or less this also signals that it is back in print. A vinyl reissue also came out earlier this year... Nice to see it getting some well deserved attention.

18. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I received access to advance download copies of both albums. Unfortunately, Dan Matovina and/or Real Gone have compressed the sound of both albums during the remaster. The songs sound more compressed compared to the original WB CDs and the DR values further confirm it. The air that existed on the original masters isn't present on the remaster; the remasters don't sound horrible but they definitely sound different, especially the bass frequencies. This doesn't surprise me since Matovina's remasters of the Head First tracks found on YouTube are also sound compressed. I've listed the DR results below.

These results are somewhat disappointing to this long-time Badfinger fan and former Badfinger fan website host. However, I'll still end up buying both album due to the bonus tracks (which are interesting variations) and to continue my support of the band. If we don't buy, we won't see more. "Love My Lady" is apparently a new title for the previously bootlegged outtake "Oh Wow". An acoustic demo of "Queen of Darkness" appeared on disc two of the Head First release in 2000 but the version featured here is a full band outtake.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: Badfinger - Badfinger
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR9 -0.00 dB -11.37 dB 01 I Miss You.mp3
    DR8 -0.32 dB -9.46 dB 02 Shine On.mp3
    DR9 over -11.35 dB 03 Love Is Easy.mp3
    DR6 -0.61 dB -8.30 dB 04 Song for a Lost Friend.mp3
    DR8 -0.00 dB -10.07 dB 05 Why Don't We Talk_.mp3
    DR6 over -7.68 dB 06 Island.mp3
    DR10 over -10.90 dB 07 Matted Spam.mp3
    DR9 -0.22 dB -10.92 dB 08 Where Do We Go From Here_.mp3
    DR10 -0.69 dB -11.91 dB 09 My Heart Goes Out.mp3
    DR8 over -10.51 dB 10 Lonely You.mp3
    DR6 -0.48 dB -9.99 dB 11 Give It Up.mp3
    DR7 -0.06 dB -8.79 dB 12 Andy Norris.mp3
    DR9 -0.16 dB -10.53 dB 13 Love My Lady.mp3
    DR9 -0.24 dB -10.48 dB 14 Shine On (1973 Work in Progress Mix).mp3
    DR8 -0.45 dB -9.50 dB 15 Song for a Lost Friend (1973 Work in Progress Mix).mp3
    DR8 -0.67 dB -9.93 dB 16 Island (1973 Work in Progress Mix).mp3
    DR8 -0.16 dB -9.73 dB 17 Matted Spam (1973 Work in Progress Mix).mp3
    DR9 -0.21 dB -11.16 dB 18 Where Do We Go from Here_ (1973 Work in Progress Mix).mp3
    DR7 -1.69 dB -11.04 dB 19 My Heart Goes Out (1973 Work in Progress Mix).mp3
    DR9 -0.00 dB -10.66 dB 20 Lonely You (1973 Work in Progress Mix).mp3
    DR8 -0.23 dB -12.16 dB 21 Give It Up (1973 Work in Progress Mix).mp3
    DR8 -0.17 dB -9.56 dB 22 Andy Norris (1973 Work in Progress Mix).mp3

Number of files: 22
    Official DR value: DR8

==============================================================================================

Analyzed folder: Badfinger - Wish You Were Here
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR7 -0.30 dB -8.47 dB 01 Just a Chance.mp3
    DR8 -0.47 dB -9.56 dB 02 Your So Fine.mp3
    DR8 -0.85 dB -11.37 dB 03 Got to Get Out of Here.mp3
    DR6 -0.39 dB -7.67 dB 04 Know One Knows.mp3
    DR7 -0.36 dB -8.30 dB 05 Dennis.mp3
    DR6 -0.17 dB -7.52 dB 06 In the Meantime_Some Other Time.mp3
    DR7 -0.59 dB -9.67 dB 07 Love Time.mp3
    DR7 -1.08 dB -9.94 dB 08 King of the Load (T).mp3
    DR6 -1.26 dB -8.16 dB 09 Meanwhile Back at the Ranch_Should I Smoke.mp3
    DR8 -0.43 dB -9.78 dB 10 Queen of Darkness.mp3
    DR8 -0.00 dB -9.61 dB 11 Just a Chance (2018 Alternate Mix).mp3
    DR7 -0.11 dB -9.34 dB 12 Your So Fine (2018 Alternate Mix).mp3
    DR8 -0.40 dB -10.89 dB 13 Got to Get Out of Here (2018 Alternate Mix).mp3
    DR8 over -9.18 dB 14 Know One Knows (2018 Alternate Mix).mp3
    DR6 -0.00 dB -7.59 dB 15 Dennis (2018 Alternate Mix).mp3
    DR7 -0.30 dB -8.77 dB 16 In the Meantime_Some Other Time (2018 Alternate Mix).mp3
    DR9 -0.00 dB -10.94 dB 17 Love Time (2018 Alternate Mix).mp3
    DR7 -0.69 dB -9.89 dB 18 Meanwhile Back at the Ranch_Should I Smoke (2018 Alternate Mix).mp3

Number of files: 18
    Official DR value: DR7

19. Mark Wilson

Hmm. Do you happen to know how this compares to the 2CD set that combines both albums with the BBC set? That's the only other copy of these I currently have.

Mark

20. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

This news made my day! My favorite Badinger album by far (and has been since I picked it up in a cutout bin almost 40 ago - I was instantly blown away!). I love the album as it is but would love to hear a remix. This album has always reminded soundwise me of Phil Spector 70s production ... it would be interesting if some or all of these mixes weren’t so boomy to contrast with the final masterpiece.

21. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Awe shucks. I am still thankful and excited though.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

This has been mentioned on a couple of other Badfinger threads, but it makes sense for the reissue to have a dedicated thread.

It's cool that we're getting remixes of nearly every track on Wish You Were Here. And two remixes of "Know One Knows," one of my favorite songs on the album. Speaking of which...
    What are the differences between the two new mixes of "Know One Knows?" I'm randomly guessing that the "single mix" has the Japanese-language spoken word overdub mixed out, so the guitar solo gets the spotlight.

I generally don't get worked up about compression, unless it's heavily brickwalled.

I'm hoping that this release bodes well for an eventual remix of Head First, with full-band studio outtakes. I know Matovina has posted remixes of a few tracks on YouTube, so maybe this has been languishing in the can for a few years and is preparing to make a break for it.

23. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

WOW...when I first heard Wish You were Here, I was a bit put off by what I perceived as an AOR sound, with "Just a chance"..and it sounded almost nothing like the previous Badfinger albums....however, this grew on me to the point that I put this and Straight UP as their best..they really came into their own with Wish you were Here..and not just "mimicking" for lack of a better word...a Beatles sound...

24. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Has anyone compared the 2 CD set with the original Japanese CDs?

longdist01, lightbulb and Mark Wilson like this.
  25. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

@sgtpppr84 Can you give some insight into some of the differences we can expect with the early Badfinger mixes and the WYWH remixes?

Hep Alien, melstapler and longdist01 like this.