Bags Unlimited CD Sleeves that hold the tray card, too

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by coleman, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coleman

coleman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone had any experience with these?

CD Binder Page

I recently moved and, unfortunately, I have less storage space for CD's than I used to have, so the jewel boxes have to go. This is the only product I found that will hold the CD, booklet, and tray card.

Thanks.

bluesky likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Coricama and krisbee like this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Just looked at the link. I definitely wouldn't trust the Bags Unlimited product. I guarantee those will eventually scratch CDs. No paper liner for discs=deal breaker. I also don't like binder products like that. Too much pressure on discs when browsing. Same reason why case logic type products are bad and mess up CDs.

The Pinhead likes this.
  4. coleman

Thanks for the input, everybody. Those sleeves are definitely better, but I'm stuck with storing my discs on some high, out of the way shelves in a smallish closet. I may have to give the binder sleeves a try. I have dvd's in similar sleeves and haven't seen any scratches or other damage and the CDs will not be browsed anywhere near as often. The critical CDs in my collection will remain in jewel boxes. I have room for one upright cd storage tower where I used to have room for 6.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

6. coleman

Hmm, that's something to consider. How many CDs in sleeves will fit in one box? Either way, the jewel boxes have to go.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It really depends on how thick the booklets are and whether they are double CDs or whatever. You pack a decent amount into each one. I just counted one and I have 57 albums in there with some wiggle room. Probably 5-10 in that box are double CDs.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Here is what the boxes look like stacked on a shelf. I have several more stacked below and other places because I have a lot of CDs. But these sleeves, when put in these boxes save a ton of space.

[​IMG]

Dignan2000 and bluesbro like this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I use some cd binder sleeves. I do realize that the chance of scratching cds is a fact. I try to remove and insert cds in a way to avoid scratching. I certainly wouldn't store any of my SACDs, AF or MFSL discs in one of these. For regular cds that are taking up space and worth a buck or two for resale, I have no problem putting them in binders. The binders save a ton of space and are pretty easy to use and move around the house.

200-disc-capacity-cd-prosleeve-pages-_-cdp_-_200_-_white
    I use these:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The problem with the Case Logic type sleeves or anything similar is not about how careful you are. It has to do with the material they are made of. It is simply not for long term storage. I found this out the hard way over a period of several years. I ended up having to replace some discs because the binder sleeve material had created odd pitting on certain discs over very small sections of the playing surface. This isn't the same thing as pinholes or other CD longevity issues either, but specific to those types of sleeves. Luckily the discs I had to replace weren't anything expensive or that hard to find. But I'm done using binder products from now on as a precaution.

I'm going on 10 years with the Jazzloft type sleeves I linked above and they have never once damaged a CD. Again, as long as you use the white paper liner sleeves and don't store the discs directly on top of the tray card.

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I've been using these bubble sleeves from CD Projects for many years, the distributor Hands Services is located in the in the L.A. Area, just bought another 500 not long ago. They're great sleeves, but there's only room for the booklet and the CD, not the back case card, although you can fit a second CD behind the booklet for a two CD set in most cases. A pack of 50 costs $12.99

BubbleSleeves- 50 Pack - cdProjects »
    [​IMG]

These sleeves were designed to click into the now discontinued CD Projects Rolodex style racks which I used way back when I first discovered these, but which ultimately I ditched since the sleeves didn't work smoothly once in place.

What I use now are faux leather CD storage trays formerly made by Richards Homewares, but now available once again via Amazon from another company called Stock Your Home. I recently bought six of these bringing my total to 24. Of course the Space Saving Sleeves will also fit in these, approximately 160 per unit:

Amazon.com - Stock Your Home Chocolate Stacking CD Tray Hold 40 CDs - Cd Storage Racks »
    [​IMG]

I store nearly all my original jewel cases with the rear tray art intact in standard file boxes in the basement, there are twelve of those at present each holding approximately 140 cases. The only CDs I leave intact with art in the jewel cases are the collectible ones, audiophile releases and box sets.

JayNYC likes this.
  12. mrvco

mrvco Well-Known Member

I used the following sleeves from Unikeep for the CD and book:

Amazon.com: Modified Jewelpak CD/DVD Sleeve (With Pocket) (Pack of 100): Office Products

I then alphabetized them and put the sleeves in archival boxes from Gaylord Archival:

Gaylord Archival® Tan Barrier Board Shallow Lid CD Box | Media | Gaylord Archival

I removed the back cover from the jewel cases as well and put those in their own box along with the digipack cases, just in case I ever need / want them. I disposed of the actual jewel cases.

Everything is ripped to FLAC so the boxes full of CDs sit quietly on a high shelf out of the way.

13. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I've used the Jazz Loft sleeves. Don't plan on storing them on a shelf unless they are boxed as they will slip all over the place. They work well if you store your CDs in a drawer.

14. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I have used the Bags Unlimited single cd sleeves with no problems. I have used about 500 of them. The playing surface does not touch the plastic, it touches the inside of the "outside" notes (paper) that were in the jewel case. YMMV, of course.

krisbee likes this.
  15. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

Has anyone ordered the Jazz Loft sleeves or space saving sleeves recently? I ordered almost two weeks ago and was provided a tracking number. My order shows delivered but the zip code/address is incorrect. I have reached out to them via email but no reply.

16. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

Hi,

Did you ever get your order? I was planning to buy, but I had a question so I emailed them, but got no reply...

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

'

I really hope the company isn't in trouble. I would try calling them by phone. I had to do this a couple years back when an order was taking awhile. It turns out they were waiting on stock to be shipped from their supplier.

ds58 likes this.
  18. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

Yes, hopefully they are doing okay... I don't see a telephone number on their site, just an address in Bellevue, WA.

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Here is the old Jazzloft number from an old email:

425-336-4830

I think I had another number but can't seem to find it. Try the number above maybe.

coleman and ds58 like this.
  20. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

I never got my order. Here is how it all played out:

I placed my order for 500 sleeves on 5/21. I received a shipping notification the very next day on 5/22. Later in the week when I checked the tracking confirmation it showed the package was "delivered" in Bellevue, WA on 5/24 (I live in Seattle, WA). It was 5/26 so I thought I would give it another day or so. On 5/28 I sent a contact request explaining I had not received the order but it showed "delivered". I did not hear back from Alan until 6/3 due to his being on vacation, he claimed the package was returned because it was "refused" but from my end I could see the tracking information did not show it was ever out-for-delivery. We confirmed my address was listed correctly. On 6/3 he claimed he would resend. On 6/5 I requested an update or the tracking number. He replied it was "on [his] porch waiting for the post man.." and that he was "giving it back to him with the same postage as they never delivered it". I thought this was odd but assumed he knew what he was doing. On 6/10 I reported I still had not received the package and the previous tracking number still showed the same information as before. He replied that I should see it on 6/12. I did not understand how he would have this information if he did not have a tracking number but decided to patiently await delivery. On 6/12 the package did not arrive, I messaged him again to inform him if the package did not arrive by the next day I would contact Paypal to report this shipment as a non-delivery. He replied it was the "post offices fault" complaining that he "did not know why they marked it as refused" and that he has "been selling these things since 1998". He also said he had "a good reputation," and that he would "take care of [me] one way of the other." That was my last communication with him. On 6/13 I contact Paypal to have the funds reversed and he promptly complied. This was an online ordering disaster, possibly the worst experience I've ever had. I believe Alan should have presented to the post office in person to get a new label, tracking number, and ensure the item was safely en route without issues. For all we know the item could have been stolen from his porch. To me this seems like irresponsible behavior for an experienced seller. I can not recommend doing business with Alan which is extremely unfortunate because I wanted to chuck all my CD cases to store them away taking up less space. I'm left with trying to figure out another solution. If you choose to order these I would love to hear if your experience is different/better but I doubt it will be.

Note: Today is 7/10 and the order has never arrived. If it truly left his porch over a month ago would it not have made it across the lake to Seattle, WA by now?

21. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

Yikes, that is a terrible experience... sorry.

I don't think I will place an order now... too bad, I have a couple of these sleeves (from a library CD sale) and they work really well.

22. coleman

ds58 likes this.
  23. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

ds58 likes this.
  24. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

Last week, I emailed asking if they were still in business or if there were any problems filling orders.

I got a reply within a few hours, saying that yes, they are still in business, no problems if you want to order. I ordered on Friday morning and and received the sleeves on Monday afternoon... very fast, considering shipping from Washington to Connecticut.

Good news for me, sorry you had problems.

AshS likes this.
  25. coleman

Update: I ended up getting these by Jewelsleeve -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006Z39LQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Easy to insert stuff, non-marring liners built into them, nice product. I did 100 discs tonight over the course of a few hours while watching some tv. I just need to find boxes that they fix in now. In the meantime, perhaps some shoe boxes will do. I'm surprised at just how many CDs I have, actually double my estimate. Even with reducing things down to sleeves, I just don't have the space. It's going to be interesting trying to find room for them all. What room is left will have to be reserved for a handful of artists that I collect. Anything else will need to be digital downloads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.