Balanced headphone cable questions (Senn HD800S)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Doug Walton, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi - I have the Senn HD800S that I'm using to evaluate the Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp. Benchmark's recommendation is to use the balanced XL4 4-pin output on the HPA4, so I have been using the Senn balanced cable that came the the phones. Works great. Sounds superb. All good.

Problem is, it's only 11 feet long, and I really need something in the range of around 16-18 feet.

So I grabbed what I thought was a decent XLR4-XLR4 extension from Markertek:

TecNec Intercom Straight Extension Cable 4 Pin XLR M to XLR F 10Ft

It works, but (and here I go down the slippery slope of cables) I'm pretty sure that I hear a bit less of the dynamics and air and liveliness of the HPA4 when using the extension cable when compared to not using the extension. Again, it might be my imagination, but it sure seemed like there was a slight fall-off.

So, what are my options? Just go buy a nice (and probably expensive) and longer aftermarket balanced headphone cable that plugs directly into the Senn HD800S? If so, I would really love to hear some recommendations. For what it's worth, I likely ain't gonna spend $1000 on a cable. If I could find something in the $200-$300 range that worked really well, that would make me happy. But I'm open to hearing all opinions and recommendations.

Thanks!

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I had the exact same extension cable and came to the same conclusion.

I ended up buying the Moon Audio extension cable for about 200 dollars. I can't seem to find a link for it but bought it directly from Moon Audio.

Like it a LOT. Much better than that one.

3. Doug Walton

Looking around on the Moon Audio site, I don't see one. I emailed them to find out.

Actually I think I did find it just now.

Any other suggestions out there?

4. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

If it was me, at the quality of your equipment, I'd spend another $100 or so over the $200 extension on a new custom length full cable rather than have 2 more solder joints (and the corresponding connectors) in the pathway (using an extension cable)

rodentdog and Doug Walton like this.
  5. Doug Walton

I like that idea - and I'm definitely open to suggestions as to who makes good cables in that price range. Many of the ones I've seen don't go longer than 10', and I already have an 11' Senn balanced cable now.

It'd be a lot cheaper to buy a floor chair and sit near the component stack.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  6. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

Surf Cables in San Diego makes custom cables for the HD800S.

Their website only shows 4-Pin XLR to HD800 up to 9 feet in length, but I bet they would make a custom length if you contact them.

Sennheiser HD800 Compatible Cables

Doug Walton likes this.
  7. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Agreed... most of these guys will make longer to order.

8. Doug Walton

$600

9. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

Ouch.

Doug Walton likes this.
  10. harby

harby Forum Resident

One should be mindful that headphones are a speaker, and between the amplifier and speaker you'd want to be using speaker cable, not small gauge cable meant for small signals.

The Tecnec cables in the first post are microphone cable. As XLR4 is also used in intercom headsets, at least one pair must be mic cable for that application.

A head-fi poster ended up having Blue Jeans Cable make one.

Or make one yourself for under $20 if you can solder:

NC4FXX-B Neutrik | Mouser
    NC4MXX-B Neutrik | Mouser
    16/4 Speaker Cable - White

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    rodentdog likes this.
  11. Doug Walton

Awesome - thanks for this. Yeah - I bought the wrong cable when I grabbed the microphone cable. Now I know. I sent Blue Jeans an email for a balanced extension. That would be an excellent solution if it's does not degrade the sound at all.

12. Doug Walton

FYI - I contacted BJC - they made me a custom 12' extension, Neutrik XLR4 M/F, for $55. I did some simple blind testing with and without it, and I sure can't tell the difference.

harby likes this.
  13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Do you know what cable BlueJeans used to make the extension?

14. Doug Walton

BJC MSA-1 Miniature Stereo Audio Cable

15. harby

harby Forum Resident

They don't state the wire gauge and configuration, although it seems they do use it for signal applications, it's not quite speaker cable (but headphones don't generally use large speaker cable either).

22AWG Belden 8723 seems like a possible candidate, it has two pairs, each wrapped in its own shield, and a separate ground conductor one might use connecting the XLR shield.

16. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Thanks. That's good to know. I haven't seen reviews or impressions of the MSA-1 cable used as a balanced headphone extension cable. Blue Jeans doesn't say much about the cable construction other than it's two pairs of braided shieled twisted pair wires. Good to know it works well as a balanced headphone extension cable.

I had considered the TecNec cable from markertek if I ever found myself needing a balanced extension cable. I'll put a note here to remind me that I should get the Blue Jeans MSA-1 version instead. Price is still very reasonable.

Doug Walton likes this.
  17. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Thanks

I just ordered the same thing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.