Ballad of J & Yoko-Old Brown Shoe- Abbey Road or Let it be

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yes, but Spector's arrangements sound nothing like those of George Martin. They just don't sound like The Beatles, like Martin said.

The blue album and Past Masters 2 are a better option, since they include the single version of Let It Be, which you would be missing too.

2. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

BJ&Y was the weakest Beatles single since Love Me Do. OBS was a gem. I could see OBS replacing For You Blue on Let It Be, I don't see BJ&Y on any Beatles album.

JFSebastion likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Disagree. At the very least, it's better than "From Me to You" or "Yellow Submarine"...

Archtop likes this.
  4. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Yes!
    I kind of like how you put it
    Chronologically maybe Abbey Road but when I expand my Let It Be to add non-album singles, they fit with that album along with Don’t Let Me Down.

5. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

It's too well-produced to be on Let It Be, and not well-enough produced to be on Abbey Road.

It's where it belongs - on Hey Jude.

Archtop and Classicrock5 like this.
  6. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

And in that same Universe, folks from the alternate SHF argue whether Across the Universe/I Me Mine fit better on Let It Be or....

linclink and wayne66 like this.
  7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think that's right. Interestingly, of the three Beatles singles released in 1969, McCartney's only songwriting contribution was "Get Back".

8. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I remember Old Brown Shoe all the time. I love the rhythm guitar...I am assuming it's John. I think it is probably overlooked more for the fact that it was a B side to a late Beatles single (one that was not received all too well because of John's using Christ in vain) and it ended up on a sort of out of chronological order greatest hits LP.

9. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I wouldn't call Hey Jude a "hits" album - more of an "odds & sods" tying up of loose ends (including hits but also low-charting B-sides) that hadn't yet appeared on U.S. Capitol albums. Almost, dare I say, an early rough draft of Past Masters. The same goes for Por Siempre Beatles, which also gathered up a number of tracks which weren't on locally issued albums.

I love Oldies, but I'm also quite fond of an even earlier compilation from Germany:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bet someone at Apple said that the Hey Jude LP "needs to be re-pressed" and the guy on the other end of the phone got the meaning wrong.
    [​IMG]

10. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Anyone here find that "Old Brown Shoe" on Past Masters sounds a bit weedy compared to (where I heard it first) the blue 67-70 comp, vinyl version? The dark rumbling rhythm guitar doesn't swoop in like it should. Is there a better sounding version on cd?

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I always felt OBS was a track that didn't have the best of mixes (others feel completely differently) and the CD versions tend to bring this out even more. If i had a top 20 list of individual Beatle tracks I'd like to hear remixed, it'd be on there.

12. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I'm fine with it. I know it's a bit wonky. Just want to hear it the way i used to know it.

DK Pete likes this.
  13. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Don´t fit in both, same as Lady Madonna/Inner Light.

For a box set? Maybe in Abbey Road, but not surprise if they cut both, perhaps All You Need is Love/Rich Man wasn´t record in Pepper sessions, both could be in the box set, but it didn´t happen.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  14. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

per Mark Lewisohn The Beatles Complete Recording Sessions : Ballad of John & Yoko was recorded 4 days after the Let It Be sessions were finished. It feels sloppy just like the Let It Be songs were minus the title track, I Me Mine and Long & Winding Road which are more polished and had more overdubs than any other songs on the album.

15. JFSebastion

Ballad of John & Yoko and Old Brown Shoe are on Hey Jude collection already!

16. JFSebastion

neither John or Paul play on Old Brown Shoe. The drums are Ringo and the rest is George.

17. JFSebastion

In fact since John and Paul are the only Beatles on the A-side this is a strange Beatles single all the way round.

Morton LaBongo likes this.
  18. heyday2day

heyday2day Forum Resident

I've always been surprised that "Old Brown Shoe" isn't more known, respected, loved than it is. It's a great Harrison track, better than either of his Let It Be offerings, but on the same level as his Abbey Road efforts. Different style though to both albums so not sure where it fits best.

I'm a Lennon guy, but for me "Old Brown Shoe" is a better track than "Ballad of John and Yoko". I've felt that way since first hearing these tracks years and years ago. OBS is often a bit forgotten, but it deserves to be much better know.

JFSebastion likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Balled :Shoe
    Stick them on a double ep along with Get Back & Two of us
    I me Mine -Let It Be
    You know my name & I've got A feeling

20. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Incorrect.
    John and Paul vocals, Paul on piano. Vocals are an instrument.

JFSebastion likes this.
  21. JFSebastion

Conflicting info, has Paul playing bass, but in interviews George said the bass was his. And the piano part is suspect as well. 3 sources all conflict. Sorry on vocals. Paul and John were present for back up vocals on April 16th 1969. Still a strange 45. With the A-side just John and Paul, and the B-side sounds like a better tune as a finished product. Just didn't get much love at the time from the radio. How Ballad of John and Yoko charted so high is anybody's guess.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  22. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

The bass line makes Ballad of John and Yoko. Back in the day it was the favorite of a couple of dancers at The Wild Goose near LAX.

JFSebastion likes this.
  23. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Anything with the name Beatles on it sells. I like the single personally. Yes, I realize it's not the best song ever they did or even from that period. What I like is the immediacy behind the song. The lyrics are about things that were very recent with John and overall the recording of it sounds very quick. It's not that far off from the concept of "She Loves You" or "All You Need Is Love" IMO.

JFSebastion likes this.
  24. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

If you shortened the fade-out of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" there would be plenty of room on side 1 of Abbey Road for "Old Brown Shoe," and I think it would've been a welcome addition.

:kilroy: "The Ballad Of John & Yoko" is essentially a combination of Chuck Berry's "Nadine" and "You Never Can Tell." It probably should have been included on John & Yoko's "Wedding Album."

JFSebastion and BlueJay like this.
  25. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Or maybe they could have shortened Maxwell's Silver Hammer (and by shorten I of course mean completely remove ;)).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.