Bands/artists who went from riches to rags

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

The other thing with that discussion is that we have to remember that attractiveness is subjective, and it just depends on who strikes a chord with the viewers.

I'm sure plenty of people, especially on a message board like this, would say that Phil Collins, for example, wasn't attractive. But as a matter of fact, a lot of women thought he was cute and charismatic. All that matters is what the audience thought. Whether someone was attractive or interesting to look at (a la ZZ Top etc.)

And apparently they didn't think that Christopher Cross was attractive or interesting to look at.

O Don Piano and Keith V like this.
  2. Frankie goes to Hollywood: they were huge for one album and then imploded. Shame, they were so good!

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Actually his career continues, and he's quite busy with shows and releasing records!

4. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

:laugh:

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Men At Work (although I think the flop third album is pretty good)

carlwm likes this.
  6. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Bands from the early 90s, such as the Gin Blossoms, Spin Doctors, Live, and Bush. It seems like the end came quickly for them. And all of them made a pretty decent splash when they arrived, but no legs.

7. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

REM after New Adventures in Hi Fi :hide:

8. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

Stop! Hammer time!

9. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Billy Squier........after this video :laugh::

10. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Ohio Players is the band that I loved most that this thread fits. After 3 albums went platinum and 2 others gold (3 gold if you count their compilation Gold), the last being in 76 when Contradiction and Gold came out, they basically cratered. Very few bands have had a run like Skintight through Contradiction, but that was pretty much that.

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Hootie and the Blowfish experienced the same phenomenon, but at least Darius has found a second act as a successful country singer.

notesfrom and starduster like this.
  12. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Really glad to hear that, because Christopher Cross was a really nice guy when I had a chat with him, and his performance was top-notch.

keyXVII and Chemguy like this.
  13. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

That first album was incredible! Songs were all very good, flowed well, and the production had a real sense of atmosphere and ambience to it. Not sure what happened with Liverpool, they dropped off the map after that, and I have sort of wondered why they didn't try to recapture what had made Pleasuredome so amazing. Maybe it was a bit attitude related, and if so they sort of did it to themselves... I remember an early interview with (I think) a young Kurt Loder where he asked them a typical band question about their fame and they just rolled their eyes and laughed. They were an okay band and pretty popular at the time but to be flippant like that right off the bat is pretty arrogant. MTV was new and relevant then and they could have seen it as a way to boost their popularity...

veloso2 and Fishoutofwater like this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Great song though!

sean monaghan, keyXVII and DME1061 like this.
  15. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

When I saw the title I thought of the literal example: Steve Mariott; lead singer of The Small Faces and the faltering Humble Pie. Drink & drugs.

quakerparrot67 and Daddy Dom like this.
  16. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Yes!

I also thought of Roky Erickson from the 13th Floor Elevators. Went from frontman of a band to jail inmate to long-term institutionalized psychiatric patient (due to being arrested for possessing a single joint).

Fortunately, he seems to have been doing much better since at least the mid-90s and has been playing live successfully for several years now.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  17. Mary Wells was a really sad story.

JDeanB and Kermit27 like this.
  18. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Yes, everything here has been done at least once. Where ya been? :laugh:

starduster, Frankh and JohnB like this.
  19. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Peter Frampton
    Gary Wright

JDeanB likes this.
  20. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

John Miles?

21. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Given the size of the US, one state = one country, and there are some oddities with the french market.

Ever heard of this band from California ?

They had a gold record with their first album in France (a remastered version of their first self financed record they were desperate to sell for years at their shows!) on Sony , their hit singles are still used in commercials, TV and radio things etc...and still aired.
    "Big in Japan" phenomenon :)

ribonucleic likes this.
  22. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Denny Laine. Was a member of the Moody Blues for two years, then was a long standing member of Wings and collaborator with Paul for ten years, but he comparatively hasn't had much success since he left Wings and even had to sell his rights to Mull of Kintyre.

audiotom and Dodoz like this.
  23. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Mick Taylor!

audiotom and Haristar like this.
  24. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

And Bill Wyman.

25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Si si, c'est une rock star! :D

(Bono quoted it at a show once, it was funny).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.