Bands from Norway?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by livingwelljesusdog, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Kings of Convenience is a great band, as is Røyksopp. If you understand Norwegian, you should listen to bands like Nøkken - ska-influenced folk-rock from the late 70s/early 80s, and then again after 2007. We have lots of great folk singers - if you like bluegrass, pop and funny lyrics, Øystein Sunde is your man.

But please save a moment or two for the jazz band Jon Eberson group. Some would probably call their early 80s music fusion, but that would not tell the whole story. Most of their albums remain unreleased on CD, but their debut album "Jive Talking" has. (The title track is not even close to the Bee Gees classic, though I love both.) "Polarities" and "City Visions" are equally good. They have made comebacks in the years after 2000, but their 80s albums are still my favourites. (Main reason: They featured Sidsel Endresen as vocalist and lyricist.) NB! These albums are all English language releases.

2. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  3. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

MOTORPSYCHO!

4. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

Bel Canto

Front 242 Addict and willy like this.
  5. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

The band with the famous 'Take on Me', A-Ha were/are Norweigan if I remember correctly.

6. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

Big Bang

s320no likes this.
  7. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I have spent many, many months gigging in Scandinavia (years, in fact) and I must say some of the greatest musicians on the planet are situated in that neck of the woods. Talk about humbling. Wow.

I have a CD of a Norwegian (from Bergen) covering Beach Boys tunes in his native tongue. However, it's been many years and I cannot recall his name nor find the album. His rendition of "God Only Knows" is quite memorable.

Anyway, I hope I am not sabotaging this thread but here is another Scan Man (from Denmark) named Tim Christiansen with his gorgeous "Love Is A Matter Of". The first time I heard this, I was stuck at a draw bridge while sitting on a bus in Copenhagen. The driver had it playing on the radio playing and I was mesmerized. Love the Mellotron (or sample of one).

No Bull likes this.
  8. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Orbo & The Longshots! Love this band...

9. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

a-ha

October Man likes this.
  10. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

A-ha has already been mentioned, but c'mon, you've got to post one of their videos. These guys were class.

Minimal Fuss, Carlox and c-eling like this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The Lovethugs. I bought one of their cds years ago for $2 on the basis of the cover sticker, saying they were a mix of Beatles, Hendrix, and the Doors.

No Bull and veloso2 like this.
  13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I'm gonna have to check out some of the aforementioned Viking Metal, since I've always considered Led Zep's "Immigrant Song" to be a masterpiece in that genre exactly.

I was amazed at the quality of the live jazz in Oslo on a trip there a few years back.

Love this Kings of Convenience Album:

[​IMG]

14. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

Röyksopp - Eple

October Man likes this.
  15. bassman81

bassman81 Forum Resident

Some of my favourite norwegian artists/albums:

Susanne Sundfør - "The Brothel" (2010):

Sondek likes this.
  16. bassman81

bassman81 Forum Resident

Highasakite - "All That Floats Will Rain" (2012):

17. bassman81

bassman81 Forum Resident

Your Headlights Are On - "Your Headlights Are On" (2010)

18. bassman81

bassman81 Forum Resident

Bigbang - "Front Side Rock'n'Roll" (2002):

19. bassman81

bassman81 Forum Resident

20. bassman81

bassman81 Forum Resident

Euroboys (aka "Kåre & the Cavemen) - "Long day's flight till tomorrow" (1999):

Gugaz likes this.
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Possibly my favorite album that came out this year is from Norwegian band Audrey Horne. The album is called Youngblood.

It's fantastic old school hard rock with a big twin guitar type vibe. Sounds like Thin Lizzy but with Danny Vaughn (Tyketto, Waysted, solo) on lead vocals. I never heard of them before but this album blows me away. I've since run out and bought all their other albums but none of them come close to how great this one is.

Other than that I don't think I've ever heard any Norwegian bands but maybe I am forgetting something...

22. caex

caex Well-Known Member

Some viking metal, just a warning that a good number use extreme/harsh vocals if that is something you don't like. Some from Norway some not:

First, Asmegin (Norway) - Til Rondefolkets Herskab

Stone Turntable likes this.
  23. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

From MOTORPSYCHO´s latest album - a heavy prog experience!

24. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Already mentioned but here's a nice video and another vote for the Cocktail Slippers.

25. Aristotalloss

Aristotalloss Forum Resident

Has Turbonegro been mentioned yet?

Gugaz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.