Bands that changed their name after being established

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by elaterium, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

after their first album the Paul Butterfield Blues Band dropped the Paul from the name

2. On a similar "temporary imposed name change" front: The Sex Pistols did a short UK tour as The Spots (an acronym derived from "Sex Pistols On Tour Secretly") after their noteriety blew up and city councils were banning/forcing the cancellation of their gigs.

ledsox likes this.
  3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Has anyone mentioned Spiritualized, who were called Spiritualized Electric Mainline for a brief period from 1993-'95? They eventually changed back.

4. Maggie

If you mean the original (ca. 1961) Carl and the Passions, well, that wasn't exactly The Beach Boys...if you mean 1972, that was just the title of the album. The Beatles never actually promoted themselves as Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No just the Small Faces. Rod Stewart was in the Faces. They changed their name after Marriott left and Stewart and Ronnie Wood joined and the band got taller.

6. Maggie

I have heard this multiple times, but there is no evidence for it. Marvin added the "e" to his name in imitation of Sam Cooke (born Sam Cook), who purportedly did it to make his name sound more cosmopolitan/middle-class.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    crispi likes this.
  7. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

that's a different band entirely then IMO
    you might as well say The Yardbirds became Led Zeppelin

8. Oh no! :D But I read it on the internet somewhere...

9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

No good, Rother wasn't in half those bands.

DesertChaos likes this.
  10. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Similar is the Mothers of Invention having a Ruben & The Jets LP, but also have their normal name on the LP.

11. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo ---> Oingo Boingo ----> Boingo

12. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

And then back to Oingo Boingo!

13. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Two others that came to mind...

Jump, Little Children ---> Jump
    Say Hi To Your Mom ----> Say Hi

...both bands shortening their original name.

There are also plenty of bands who started their career under one name, but changed it when they got signed to a major label contract, for one reason or another. Couple of examples...

The Baseball Boys ---> The Outfield
    Mighty Joe Young ---> Stone Temple Pilots
    Pleasure ---> Semisonic

GodShifter likes this.
  14. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

At any rate, apparently Marvin's father wasn't happy with the modification of the family name and it became one more point of contention between the two.

15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Then they really weren't established until getting signed, were they? Our Host even interjected about examples not in line with the thread topic.

Some others are just poor examples. Dukes of Stratosphear & Project X were not wholesale band name changes.

GodShifter and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

Kaja Goo Goo became --> Kaja for one album only.

17. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Beatles -> Wings

I kid, I kid.

18. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Well, Discipline never made a release. Just like Cinema, life of which was cut short by Yes.

19. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I always thought he should just keep expanding the name... Little Johnny Carson Mercury Cougar Water Mellon Camp David... etc... :)

20. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

Generation X became Gen X for the last album.

21. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I always thought it was weird and somewhat confusing as to what the band was called on the Chicago Transit Authority. Part of the liner notes by James William Guercio said this:

"The name of this endeavor is simply "The Chicago Transit Authority." For the last thirteen months these seven individuals have performed in Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco as the C.T.A. So, if for nothing else than practical logic, they have chosen to title this work appropriately after their professional identity. The purpose of this commentary, however, is an attempt at documenting the complete rejection of any name label, title or verbal reference relative to the performance contained herein. Corporately as well as individually, this artist endeavors to be judged in terms of contribution alone rather than through the tag affixed upon it. The printed word can never aspire to document a truly musical experience, so if you must call them something, speak of the city where all save one were born; where all of them were schooled and bred, and where all of this incredible music went down barely noticed; call them CHICAGO."

So I always assumed that they were named Chicago even on the album called Chicago Transit Authority. Yes, they changed their name, but they changed it before the first album was released... I guess the CTA lawyers must have been making noise prior to the album's release.

She is anyway likes this.
  22. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

I wonder if Guercio's commentary was included on the first printings of the album. Maybe CTA lawyers forced CBS lawyers to add it on later versions?

23. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Not many people remember it, but David Bowie briefly became just "Bowie" in 1974 ("Rebel Rebel" and other RCA singles). Ironically, his next album was called... "David Live".

There were also the Detroit Spinners.

24. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Black Oak Arkansas put out an album as The Knowbody Else before adopting the BOA moniker.

25. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

yes but only after a major lineup change

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.