Bands that had each member release a solo album(s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reb, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paradoxguy

paradoxguy Well-Known Member

I don't recall Richard Ploog, the drummer at the time, releasing a solo album while with the Church. Of course, the three main members--Steven Kilbey, Marty Willson-Piper, and Peter Koppes--have each released several solo albums during their Church tenure.

2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Uh, the thread title does say each band member. If Micky Waller ever did a solo album, it's news to me.

3. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Some duos:

Category 1: Sonny & Cher
    Category 1: Daryl Hall & John Oates
    Category 2: The Righteous Brothers
    Category 2: Wham!
    Category 2: Loggins & Messina

4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Others:

Category 2: The Souther-Hillman-Furay Band
    Category 2: McGuinn, Clark & Hillman

5. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Category 2: A-ha if the "another band option" is ok. Paul writing all songs and performing with his wife and a drummer is pretty close to solo if you ask me.

6. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Category 2 - The Replacements (the version of the band with Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson, Chris Mars, and Slim Dunlap)

Fullbug and AlienRendel like this.
  7. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Pink Floyd counts, doesn't it? Okay, Syd's albums didn't come out until two years after he was fired from Floyd, but the band was still functioning at the time. And the rest of them released albums DURING their time in the band - Roger (Music From The Body, 1970), David (David Gilmour, 1978), Rick (Wet Dream, 1978) and Nick (Fictitious Sports, 1981).

Say It Right likes this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

easily...all 4 of them.

probably all 7 of them at one time or another.

not sure if leadon/georgialis came out while leadon was still in the eagles, or if you would consider it a "solo" album.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

just asking:

the band? - no idea if richard manuel had a solo album or not, i'm pretty sure the other 4 did.

journey - did ross valory ever have a solo album?

bodeans - this is true if you consider the bodeans to be just llanas and neumann

10. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I was thinking of current drummer Tim Powles, who has been in the band for the last 20 years (far longer than Ploog). He released a solo album, "Tygs In Space", in 1999 (or so).

11. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Oops - my bad!

12. paradoxguy

paradoxguy Well-Known Member

Sorry, my bad. Of course you are correct. I overlooked Powles because I admittedly prefer the music from the Ploog-era lineup over the Powles one.

13. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Geoff Downes did a solo album? What a treat that must be

Col Kepper likes this.
  14. JAG

He did 1 song on Burning for Buddy. He also did 1 song on Jeff Berlin's album. Those are guest appearances. I wouldn't think books and dvd's count either.

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

"New Dance Orchestra" is quite good indeed-- Symphonic, melodic keyboard album, more traditionally prog than you'd expect.

One song as a performer. But both volumes were completely his baby, in terms of producing and making it all happen.

16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Nope, Genesis would be Category 2. Their original drummer had no solo album. Solo albums by Anthony Phillips, Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett didn't happen until after they'd left the band. Solo albums by Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks and Phil Collins didn't happen until much later in the band's career.

17. JAG

I will have to take your word for it but I imagine it being yanni like. Maybe he is a better producer than he is a keyboard player.

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

More like dance-era Tangerine Dream, plus there's a "folkdance" side that nods pretty clearly to Tull.

19. "Steve Hackett didn't happen until after they'd left the band"

Not true as Voyage of the Acolyte came out in 1975 and he left the band in 1977 :)

20. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I had no idea that Garth Hudson ever released his own album--on 9/11/2001 no less!

As far as Richard Manuel goes--there's only a posthumous live album from '86. But not a proper solo album--at least not that I could find.

21. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Why even talk about Moraz when the original band (sorry, classic lineup) all had solo albums in the 70s regardless of Blue Jays? And on Graeme's albums he was the featured performer so I don't see a problem counting it.

22. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

See post 1 category 1.

23. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

New Dance Orchestra, a double LP... it is fantastic!

24. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

Fleetwood Mac (Mick Fleetwood, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie & John McVie) Cat 2

25. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Bee Gees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.