Bands that reunite (or keep going) that maybe shouldn't.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ian, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregY

GregY New Member

Or kept doing drugs. Or found a way to keep the '80s from arriving.

2. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Not Billy Joel. He is still an excellent live performer. Solo performers can go on almost indefinitely, and still be vital like Dylan, Sinatra, Costello, Neil Young and any number of bluesmen. They get across on personal style.

3. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I'm thinking the same thing!!

4. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Absolutely. They probably should have called it quits when Moon died but I won't start that debate. I have to admit that they sounded great at the Concert For NYC except for Daltrey. He still has the passion, but his voice really doesn't do a lot of those songs justice anymore. Plus he usually misses catching the mic when he spins it these days. Zak Starkey is a fantastic drummer, but Moon is irreplacable, as is Entwistle. When John died, the Who name should gone with him. I think a nice tribute to him would to continue (if they must) as Townshend/Daltrey. Is John & Paul the Beatles? Mick & Keith the Stones? Pete & Roger are not the Who. Recording a new album under the Who name now will not do much for what is left of the Who's integrity. If they do an album as the Who it might be a nice gesture to John to have a guest bass player on each track. Some suggestions....

Paul McCartney
    Jeff Ament-Pearl Jam
    Bill Wyman
    John Paul Jones
    Krist Noveselic-Nirvana
    Chris Squire
    Sting
    Tom Hamilton-Aerosmith
    Phil Lesh
    Tony Levin
    Jack Bruce
    Les Claypool-Primus

Like I said, John is irreplacable.

5. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes New Member

Re: Re: Bands that reunite (or keep going) that maybe shouldn't.

whoops...

6. Duke of Prunes

Re: Re: Re: Bands that reunite (or keep going) that maybe shouldn't.

D'oh! (posting problems) This is in reply to njwiv (Jay)...

Huh? What do you mean? Levon's still alive and around.

Of course I'm not up to date on whatever the hell he's doing, but I don't believe I'm mistaken on my previous statement.

Robert

7. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

How about the Jerry Garcia Band which is still touring. I don't know maybe they just prop ole Jer up on stage and fake it.:D

8. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Definitely!

Billy should go one way and Joel the other.:rolleyes:

Peace
    Norm

9. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Rush -- it's all been downhill since "Grace Under Pressure"
    The Rolling Stones -- I know they have a lot of fans here, but I don't think they've come up with a single memorable song since the 80s
    Tangerine Dream -- shoulda packed it in when Chris Franke left
    Michael Jackson -- need I say more?
    Depeche Mode -- Violator was brilliant, everything that's followed has left much to be desired
    The Who -- now we know why they hoped they'd die before they got old
    The Village People -- without Victor Willis and Jacques Morali, they might as well be any six guys
    Tears For Fears -- I loved Elemental, but that album that Roland did for Sony was appalling
    Electronic -- one good album followed by two horrible ones
    and if the Pet Shop Boys latest effort is an indication of things to come, add them to the list.

10. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bands that reunite (or keep going) that maybe shouldn't.

Robert,

Levon survived throat cancer in the late '90s, and he can no longer sing (the last vestiges of his singing voice are present on JUBILATION before chemo and radiation reduced his voice to a raspy whisper). Very sad, but he remains alive and kicking. He has a blues band now called Levon Helm & The Barnburners.

Jay

11. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

The current lineup of Levon's Barn Burners is as follows:

Levon Helm - drums, Pat O'Shea - guitar, Chris O'Leary - vocals/harp, Jeff Sarli - bass.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Based on the supplements from the "Last Waltz" DVD, Levon can barely TALK. He's actually still out there singing? More power to him, I suppose...

13. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

No, Levon no longer sings at all. Chris O'Leary handles vocals for LH & the BBs. Levon's last vocals (to my knowledge) appear on JUBILATION, which was was released back in 1998. Even then, his voice was very thin and raspy. But it could still be very affecting at that point, and I'm delighted that they squeezed in one more album before the voice was gone. His vocal performance of "Don't Wait" from JUBILATION is the highlight of the album for me (although Rick Danko turns in wonderful performances on "Book Faded Brown" and "High Cotton", among others).

Jay

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

The Axl Rose Proje . . . er, Guns'n'Roses. If he wanted to call it the Axl Rose Project, maybe . . .

15. Duke of Prunes

Thanks for the info, Jay! D'oh, again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.