Bands that you've just somehow, some way never gotten into?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

Queen - I'm familiar with a handful of songs, some of them great, but I just never got into them. Never listened to a whole Queen album.

David Bowie - Bowie has just completely gone under my radar. Never got into him.

Judas Priest - I had a lot of friends who were heavily into Priest. Somehow, I just never got into them.

Metallica - I've got all of Metallica's CD's. I try to like them now and again, and I guess I kinda do - still not "into" them though.

The Damned - huge punk rocker here. Never got heavily into the Damned OR the Clash though...

So , the question is, what bands should you / could you probably be into but never have quite been able to be though???

lightbulb likes this.
  2. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

These are my favorite types of bands: bands that I never really dove deeply into, but like what I've heard. At some point I take the plunge and, with people like Bowie or Dylan, you have decades of amazing music to hear for the first time. It's thrilling. I didn't reach "buying my own music/developing my own taste in music" age until the 1980's so I was mostly into the post-punk and alternative bands coming out at the time, the new music - what I would consider "my" music, and then, as you become a music freak, you start hearing those guys talk about who influenced them and you start going backwards and jumping around. There's simply already been TOO much music made to listen and absorb everything, so you're gonna miss a few big ones along the way. Going back and catching up with them is one of life's great pleasures.

As for thinking I "should" be into a band, I don't think that way. I like what I like. "Could" is a different matter.

3. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

never got into Black Sabbath at all.

4. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

Priest, I dig, but the rest...well, you said it.

Led Zeppelin - A little bland & unfocused for my taste.

Ramones - Too light. I prefer my punk sludgey & heavy. Like MC5, Iggy & the Stooges, Black Flag, Satan's Satyrs.....

Iron Maiden - I prefer Priest. Of course, both band's awful sounding remaster CDs don't help...

You're probably gonna hate me for this, but...The Who. I can't stand Rodger Daltry...too...uh...whiney. :hide:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    GodShifter and Clonesteak like this.
  5. Highway819

Highway819 Forum Resident

Status Quo
    Queen
    Billy Idol
    Oasis

6. The Bish

The Bish Forum Resident

Flaming lips comes to mind. Also red hot chilli peppers. I've tried. They seem popular here.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

For me, I own a lot of records that I've never really listened to. This occurred to me as I was in a Stones thread and found myself lacking real knowledge of their catalog outside of a couple of albums and the hits.

I cannot tell you how many band's discographies I own that I've only given cursory listens to. It's like I want to like these bands in theory but still wind up listening to the albums/bands I know and like. I guess my attitude is "stick with what you know" which is, admittedly, a crappy attitude, but it's kind of how I roll.

Jarleboy and Chris from Chicago like this.
  8. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Grateful Dead
    Chicago
    Led Zeppelin
    Santana
    Yes
    Blood Sweat & Tears
    Deep Purple
    Macca
    Jethro Tull

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
  9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

There are quite a few big bands that I've never been able to get into for one reason or another, but I don't really see the point in this kind of a ragfest. Not a productive line of inquiry, IMO.

10. jazz8588

jazz8588 Forum Resident

Any band after about 1990. There was way too much for me to listen to before that. Just my age really. I listen to lots of rock from the 60's 70's and 80's and jazz from the same era. I haven't got time to listen to anything remotely contemporary. I realise I might be missing out but life is too short as it is and I'm very happy with the stuff I know:)

11. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Oasis. As much as I always loved popular music from England, I never understood what people heard in them. And I can't tell exactly why.

stephencorkery and Groovy like this.
  12. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Queen
    Dire Straits "Woo-Hoo" (Circus Music)
    U2 ughhh

Post 90's, forget it...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  13. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yes, guaranteed, there has never been of thread of this type at the forum.

on7green likes this.
  14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Virtually all of them. I doubt if I've "gotten into" 1 in a million of the bands just from the rock era, let alone the decades of recording bands before that. I'm not worried about it, though. Or, if there's an implied "but everyone else likes" to the thread title maybe we can append this to one of the dozens of similar threads we've already had here.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Another vote for Queen. I like Brian May's guitar playing, but the songs just don't do much for me.

16. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I never really got into Prog Rock.

17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

But this one is different: these are bands that you should / could get into, but don't.

18. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

The Rolling Stones. Don't know why, just never really had the desire to dive into their catalog. I like some of their songs, just not enough for me to want to dig deeper.

Jarleboy, jwb1231970, tim185 and 2 others like this.
  19. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Police
    Steely Dan

20. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Cheap Trick
    Johnny Cash
    Patti Smith
    Allman Brothers
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Tom Petty
    Carlos Santana
    James Taylor
    Elvis Costello

21. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

In the past couple of years I have really enjoyed a musical journey getting
    more acquainted with.....
    YES..always liked a couple of tunes but never owned a YES album.
    Had a buddy who loved them back in the day and we used to tease him about it.
    Now, one of my favourite bands.

Grateful Dead...saw them in 1970. Always liked Truckin, Friend Of The Devil.
    I had a Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band album.
    Caught Dead fever about three years ago and am now going broke with all the live stuff available.

Procal Harum...only album I had heard in its entirety was the Live with Edmonton Symphony.
    Never realized how solid their catalogue was outside of the FM staples.

22. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

a lot of people saw right through it, awful music.

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The Who

Look, I know and like all the big songs, but I've never dug into their catalog. Why? No idea...

24. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Velvet Underground/Lou Reed
    Grateful Dead
    Van Morrison
    Frank Zappa
    Queen (casual listener)
    Santana (casual listener)
    Yes
    Styx
    Chicago (casual listener)
    Depeche Mode