Bands that you've just somehow, some way never gotten into?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

deep purple
    rush
    frank sinatra
    elvis presley
    johnny cash
    cream

2. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

There's plenty of bands that I have no intention of getting into but those which I should but haven't yet.

Family
    XTC
    PJ Harvey
    Hüsker Dü
    Björk - did have Debut but got rid ages ago - probably a mistake...
    Ian Dury - have the comp Juke Box Dury but that's all
    Echo & the Bunnymen
    Teardrop Explodes
    Dr Feelgood
    Soft Machine

3. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Joni Mitchell
    Bjork
    Eric Clapton
    Frank Zappa
    Led Zeppelin
    Queen
    Pink Floyd
    The Monkees
    Steely Dan
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Elvis Presley
    The Grateful Dead
    Jefferson Airplane/Starship
    Flaming Lips

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  4. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

The Who
    The Eagles
    The Ramones
    The Clash
    Queen
    Green Day
    And especially The Who and The Eagles

Sathington Willoughby likes this.
  5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

wow, you in a bad mood today?

Fullbug likes this.
  6. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Drive By Truckers tick all the boxes for me, but for some reason, it ain't hap'nin'.

Good question. I'm sure I'll think of more.

7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Why? I'm just listing the artists who aren't in my collection.

Add Bjork, The Monkees, Husker Du, Family, Echo & the Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes, Dr Feelgood, Soft Machine, Rush, Kiss, The Smiths, Guns 'N Roses, Foo Fighters, Slayer and Moodies.

8. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Guns & Roses
    Axel Rose's voice is an acquired taste that I never acquired ...

jon9091 and mooseman like this.
  9. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Damn....

Queen :biglaugh:

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like or love most of the bands mentioned, but I never really cared for Metallica.

Slayer is another one.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Do me a favor and listen to Stories from the City, Stories form the Sea and post your thoughts on here. That's her most accessible (and, IMO), her best album. I don't think you'll be sorry or think it's a waste of time. :)

12. Pulp.
    The Grateful Dead.
    Depeche Mode

13. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

LOL. Babe Oh Really feels the insatiable urge to go on a thread-opening binge.

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, I don't like giving out personal information online, but I'll make an exception here because it gives context.

I was born in the very early 60's. That should have lent itself toward certain artists at the time, since I was almost instantly into music (which is itself strange since I come from a non-musical family - but whatever).

I missed out getting into a host of bands big at the time: Rolling Stones, Beatles, The Who, Hollies, Doors, Eagles, Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Kinks, and many others.

I got my musical education from many places, but there are three key ones: The TV, a neighbor, and the father of a girlfriend.

The TV brought me into pop music, and Glam was the thing. Gary Glitter, The Sweet, Bowie, Mud, Suzi Quatro etc. This was a passing fancy, but for a while I loved it. Even then I was well aware that the songs were even better on the B Sides.

The neighbor was a metal head. This was the high point for Sabbath, Purple, Uriah Heap, Hawkwind, Alice Cooper, etc.

The girlfriends father was a true music lover with a wonderful setup. He brought me Tom Waits, Jethro Tull, Alan Parsons, Randy Newman, Dire Straits, and others.

This mix of things meant I somehow bypassed most of classic rock, and ended up with a head for the the outer reaches of things. I recall watching the BBC one evening about Stockhausen and his Helicopter String Quartet and being fascinated. It wasn't so much that I was into the strange and weird, I just hadn't yet formed any walls or barriers - it was a case of, "oh, they're taking off in a helicopter to play, that's cool". After that I came across John Cage and the prepared piano, and his chance pieces along with his concept of undetermined music and it was a door that was left open.

On my own, with no direct influence, I found a love of contemporary Jazz, usually of the avant garde variety. I didn't have time for Miles Davis, Brubeck, Evans, or the usual performers. Instead it was Tim Berne, Marilyn Crispell, John Zorn, Peter Brotzmann. So again, I was very much into a genre of music (I bought jazz almost exclusively for ten years or so) where the classics were ignored, and the new stuff took my time.

I have a baseless disdain for much of the classic stuff. I admit it. But one thing I've never experienced is a shortage of things I either was desperate to hear, or desperate to buy. My last period of exploration was Musique Concrete and early electronic and tape music. That alone has consumed me for a few years. I've tried newer electronic music, but it doesn't work for me - with the exception of some Noise music coming out of Japan.

Fullbug and Moshe like this.
  15. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

steely dan
    supertramp
    smiths
    most 90s brit rock
    cohen
    prog a la genesis, yes, rush, only the essentials.

16. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

The Replacements, Husker Du, Prince. There's just something about music from Minneapolis that doesn't work for me.

Fullbug likes this.
  17. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

What?? Am I reading this right ?? Is this really the Dr. Pepper we know and love ?( in a manly man sort of way of course :p )

I'm going to have to demote your status. From now on you are no longer Dr.Pepper, you are...Mr.Pibb. :D ;)

Fullbug likes this.
  18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

ANOTHER one of these threads, eh?

So you don't like a band. So what? You like what you like, dislike what you dislike.

mooseman and Tristero like this.
  19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Ah, the new million dollar quartet : Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and... Geddy Lee. :D

20. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I guess we were due for another bash major artists thread.

O Don Piano likes this.
  21. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

22. cakeface

cakeface Forum Resident

Queen...The Who...I could never listen to an entire album

Deep Purple...there was a time where I would listen to In Rock and Come Taste the Band quiete a lot...but could never get into the other albums

Led Zepp...I was a big fan like 7 or 8 years ago...now I don't find that music that great

Reverse with Bowie...I couldn't stand it...now I'm listening his 70's albums a lot, and really like them...I didn't understand his approach, I think now I do

23. Arthur Green

Arthur Green Active Member

Bloasis

24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Damn straight!

25. cakeface

cakeface Forum Resident

I could also add that with some bands I like certain periods of time...

-Yes 1971 to 1973
    -Zappa 1973 to 1979
    -Neil Young 1973 to 1978
    -Santana 1968 to 1977
    -Rolling Stones, although I'm a big fan and own all their albums, I prefer the 1968-1981 period, including the live shows
    Aerosmith 1973 to 1986
    -Focus 1970 to 1974
    -Eric Clapton...1970...

Then, with other bands, it happens that I like almost everything they did...The Doors, Bob Marley and The Wailers, Jimi Hendrix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.