Bands who broke up too early.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

He says with a wink, and tongue in cheek.

LoveYourLife and audiomixer like this.
  2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD for sure! They broke my heart in 1968 when we realized that it was their Last Time Around!

3. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

Blind Faith.

Zoot Marimba, FVDnz and DrBeatle like this.
  4. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Mellow Candle

lemonade kid and paper shoes like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Open Mind
    Tripsichord Music Box
    Plastic Cloud
    Traffic Sound
    Kak

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    lemonade kid likes this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The classic Simple Minds line-up with Derek Forbes and Mick MacNeil.

Spot778 and shadow blaster like this.
  8. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Are they Japanese yet?

denesis likes this.
  9. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

I'll second the already-mentioned White Stripes and the Jam and add these:

Sonic Youth
    Jawbreaker
    Fugazi
    The almighty, fabulous Cure (yeah, I know they're technically still a band but I gotta assume we're not getting any new music out of those folks)

10. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Yep. I've recently checked for a first time Sting first solo album. Sounds like a guy got +20 years old after Police broke up. What a boring music!

11. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

12. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I recently saw a video of David Bowie lamenting that the Pixies broke up way too early. -It's cute, his constantly voicing appreciation for that band. But it's true: Frank Black had some really strong material in those first two solo albums that was hampered by the generic alternative rock sound and lack of a band aesthetic. One wonders if they might not have been able to fill some of the void left by Cobain's death, too.

13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I may be alone in this, but part of me pines for an alternate reality where Pink Floyd released The Final Cut and Roger Waters managed to get the venom out of his system with that release. Then, he could have reconciled with Richard Wright and the four piece could have continued to release strong material through the '80s and '90s. Waters proved he was still lyrically strong, if musically a bit unadventurous and even boring, through those decades; and Gilmour proved he was musically on point both solo and in the Floyd, if no great shakes as a lyricist (or as someone who chose the lyricist). The whole would have been greater than the sum of the pieces if Waters could have gotten over himself and we would have been treated to some amazing material as a result.

But, you know... If wishes were fishes and all that.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. adad

adad Forum Resident

Love without Brian Maclean was never the same. Ifyoubelievein gives light to the impact he must have had on the band.

peachyg72 likes this.
  15. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Van Halen

Michael Rose and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

The Chameleons - should have been huge but fell apart irretrievably.

Young Marble Giants - though I am not sure how they could have followed up Colossal Youth.

Magazine - with John McGeogh

Japan

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

My beloved Wondermints

MisterPleasant likes this.
  19. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

Captain Beyond

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Very few bands I think broke up too early. Because the signs are usually there before they break up. Things run their course, and there's no point in trying to recapture the glory when the energy has since dissipated or the spirit is just not there any more.

I'm always very happy with 1-4 really good albums from bands. I don't feel I can ask for more. 1 great album is fantastic, 4 great albums is a minor miracle.

My exceptions are already noted above:

VU with John Cale. One more album, because Cale, Lou and the band were at their height. And imagine the production/arrangement values of The Marble Index with the song-writing of '3rd' and the original band.

Television. If it had not been for the indifferent-to-critical UK press reviews of their 2nd Lp, they may have had a better UK tour, and then may have carried on successfully. Lucky to have the brilliant re-union '92 album, though.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    shadow blaster and Runicen like this.
  21. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Captain Beyond, an early 70's super group comprised of former members of Iron Butterfly, Deep Purple Mk I etc., turned out a strong, uniquely progressive first album that fused jazz with heavy electric blues. With their second album CB changed direction, moving toward a mellower, more acoustic style accompanied by line-up changes and weaker material. If the first album's hard edged style had gained more traction and their label, Capricorn, had made more effort to hold the group's initial line-up together, CB might've been able to build momentum into the mid-70's and achieved greater success.

:cheers:
    Cat

22. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Completely agree. I wish that several of my favorite bands would have gone out on top and called it quits decades ago.

mr.datsun likes this.
  23. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The Zombies

They broke up before Time of the Season hit it big. I love everything this band did, and if they had still been together when that song became a hit, maybe they would have went on to do some amazing stuff.

But, at the same time, I love their discography, so...

LoveYourLife likes this.
  24. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

What are the odds!? LOL! :doh:

Worked on polishing my Captain Beyond post, left, came back and posted thinking no one would mention the group, and Lo and Behold. Good call, Xabby! :righton:

:cheers:
    Cat

FVDnz and Xabby like this.
  25. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Bicycle Thief

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.