Bands who broke up too early.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Nation of Ulysses

From the Dischord website:
    The Nation of Ulysses was a violent separatist political party and terrorist group operating out of Washington, D.C. in the early 1990's. Though they've disappeared into obscurity, they've spawned countless milquetoast imitators who've tried to appropriate their looks, language, sound and presentation for the sake of career advancement. These cheap imitators can't comprehend that the Nation of Ulysses derived their awesome power from their unswerving commitment to secession and havoc wreaking, and not to the banal and unimportant pursuit of fame and wealth. The N.O.U. is probably the most important development to beset music since electrification, as they were the first to articulate intent through written manifestos and stage histrionics, refuting rock'n'roll's traditional policy of posturing rebelliously while aping parent culture values.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  2. DPM

DPM Senior Member

The Bruford/Wetton version of King Crimson. They released three excellent studio albums, were an unstoppable beast on stage, and were only getting better.

3. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

Derek and the Dominos

[​IMG]

linclink, Zoot Marimba, sjaca and 2 others like this.
  4. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Family, a great band who released the first British Progressive rock album in 1968, and were disbanded in 1973.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Fishoutofwater, Runicen and sjaca like this.
  5. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

The Serenes.

6. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

I would say the original lineup of King Crimson, but I doubt they would be as consistently great as they are if they didn't keep changing it up

7. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

I love that band. It deserves that we make two mentions!!!:righton:

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

As much as I would have like to have heard more from this band, I get the feeling they were at the end of their rope in 1974. Tensions were decidedly frayed on the American leg of their tour, with Fripp taking swipes at Cross and feeling overpowered by the rhythm section, though they recovered well for the final set of performances (as documented on USA). It was probably for the best that Fripp decided to take a break to recharge his batteries, though it's intriguing to imagine how they might have evolved in the second half of the 70s (a little bit of Exposure, a little bit UK perhaps?).

Television is definitely a band that I would have like to have heard more from in their prime. I also would have liked it if the Velvet Underground had stuck it out a while longer. Ideally, we could have gotten a third album with Cale (including tracks like "Stephanie Says" and "Hey Mr. Rain", as well as some of the third album material) before Doug Yule entered the picture with their lost fourth album and beyond. Also, it's a shame that the original Small Faces pulled the plug when they did. I would have liked to have heard a rootsier, back to basics effort from them after the heady excess of Ogden's.

9. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

[​IMG]

Quatermass, active 1969 and 1971.

10. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

The Walkmen

11. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Certainly with the you (OP) as Talk Talk breaking up too early. Feel selfishly Talk Talk deprived with their limited number of releases.

12. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I have to third the sentiments from posts 120 and 122. Under most circumstances, a band breaks up because they don't enjoy recording or touring as that band, whether it's financial, personal, or creative differences. If a band doesn't want to be together, chances are that the music suffers.

13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Buffalo Springfield: it would have been like getting the Stills and Young contributions from CSNY but with Richie Furay and Jim Messina as the third and fourth writers in the band. Although I love what Crosby (if not Nash) did in CSNY, I think Furay and Messina are superior songwriters to both of them.

14. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

The Yardbirds... one more album... Page begged em to stay together... most of the arrangements on Zep 1 was stuff they were doing live already... woulda been so easy to have walked into a studio and cut their live repertoire... even better, their contract with Mickie Most had expired by summer '68... Page coulda produced it...

danasgoodstuff and fr in sc like this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Big Star
    The Clash
    Television
    The Only Ones
    The La's

16. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

And I also must say that Bobby Caldwell coming back for their third and final album 'Dawn Explosion' with Willy Daffern on vocals, is underrated in its own right!

17. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

OF COURSE LoVE!! So much more music to be made...darn it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dodoz, Zoot Marimba and peachyg72 like this.
  18. YardByrd

Wish Bobby Caldwell and Keith Relf had done another Armageddon LP!

peachyg72 likes this.
  19. YardByrd

I'd much rather have more Springfield instead of CSN(Y)!

20. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Band of gypsies :)

21. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

The Crucial Three
    – featuring Julian Cope, Ian McCulloch and Pete Wylie.
    They only existed for about 6 weeks, never played live or recorded anything.

strummer101 and shadow blaster like this.
  22. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I vacillate between thinking the Smiths should have gone on far longer...or that they broke up at precisely the right time. Cooler heads should have called a time-out, that's for certain.

23. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

They are still in the process of turning. It's a long process.

Plexiclone, Dudley Morris and Zack like this.
  24. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Guns N' ****%&($ Roses

25. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Harmonium
    Sugar
    A Band Called O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.